Author Topic: Not a word about the engine, but be sure to check the seat?  (Read 3540 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
How to Buy a Used Royal Enfield Motorcycle

by R. Prince

The Royal Enfield Cycle Company, founded in Britain and reestablished in Indiana, have been producing world class motorcycles for some time. Its emphasis on bikes being as fast as "bullets" have produced motorcycles with names like the Bullet Deluxe and the Bullet Sixty-5, holding each of their own unique specifications for even the staunchest motorcyclist. The Royal Enfield Company even produces motorcycles for various militaries around the world.

One of the primary things to assess when buying a used Royal Enfield motorcycle is how well its clutch system works. Test the diligence of your used Royal Enfield motorcycle dealer by asking him how many miles it's been since the clutch cable was changed. You especially want to ask this question if the bike has endured lots of miles (i.e. 30,000) If he answers, that is a good sign. Inspect the clutch yourself by placing the bike in first gear, squeezing the clutch, and rolling it forward. Check for smoothness and a neutral feeling with a little resistance. If your used Royal Enfield motorcycle's clutch is defective, expect to pay $100 and an hour of labor to replace it unless you need a new clutch basket which requires more.

When purchasing a used Royal Enfield motorcycle, also evaluate both its seat and tire conditions as well. Seats are not expensive to replace if torn, with new seats costing around $100 dollars from any auto reupholster plant. However, it is ideal to buy a tear-free seat as water can retain itself under the cracks and have you wet a couple of days later. Also, test the owner's intelligence by checking for a stable seat that latches easily. As for your used Royal Enfield's tires, ask the owner how many miles and years they have. Ideally, your used bike's tires should have 1/8" worth of tread left and no dry rot/cracking. If tires are less than stellar and you have your eyes set on that used Royal Enfield, remember that quality tires are expensive. It's no wonder - considering they're the only things connecting you to the road.

With tires, it is also important to use smooth roads to test them out during a test drive. With smooth pavement, flat spots and non balance tires can be detected. Your used Royal Enfield tires will show signs of defectiveness if there are consistent up and down thumps according to riding speed. Ideally, you want tires that are replaced as often as once a year. Tire changes once a year are usually reserved to serious riders whereas a tire change every three years most pertains to the casual rider although tires should be replaced at the sign of the slightest problem. Hopefully, your used Royal Enfield dealer/seller will notify you of any problems beforehand. If not, you have the know-how to assess and examine.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/209585/how_to_buy_a_used_royal_enfield_motorcycle.html?cat=27

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:40:05 pm by Slider »
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:22:50 pm
Boy, I am glad I didn't know how hard the clutch was to work on the first few times I took it apart ;)

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:23:18 pm
I like the way they are now reestablished in Indiana.Kevin will love it because the shipping will be very cheap and parts will be very close no more waiting for stuff from India.    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:26:43 pm
I was hoping they might relocate to Oregon, but no such luck.  :-[

D.B.Owen

• Owen's Obsession
  • Scooter
  • To Know me is to love me.........
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:26:29 am
If you buy a used Enfield with only a bad clich and tires you are luckey.  lol  ;D
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE.

2001 500 Real Bullet - 4 SPEED / KICK START ONLY

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 04:08:41 am
I like how the dude's avatar shows him in a football helmet with the caption "I love to write!"

Jeff

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:17:27 pm
Who in the world wrote that? I reads  as if it were written by someone who knows as much about motorcycling as I know about fashion.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:31:25 pm
Who in the world wrote that?

The guy in the football helmet.  :D

Actually, Kevin, there are some other articles there about RE, one in which you're quoted, about the release of the new EFI models.