Author Topic: Harley-Davidson To Expand into India  (Read 8055 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 27, 2009, 05:03:29 pm
Courtesy of Harley-Davidson
Thursday, August 27, 2009

Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE: HOG) announced today its plans to formally enter the motorcycle market in India, where it expects to start selling its iconic motorcycles in 2010. The company has established a subsidiary to be located in Gurgaon, near Delhi, and has begun the process of seeking dealers.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and Chief Operating Officer, Matthew Levatich, is an invited speaker at the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers annual convention on August 28, and will provide further details on the company’s plans then.

“As India continues to extend its global reach, so does Harley-Davidson,” said Levatich. “We believe Harley-Davidson has outstanding opportunities for continued growth around the world.”

The company’s current approach is to import its motorcycles, accessories and riding gear, and it will continue to evaluate how best to evolve its approach to the market as Harley-Davidson’s business in India grows.

“India is important to our long-term vision of being a truly global company,” said Harley-Davidson Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer Keith Wandell. “We are committed to India for the long term, and we are focused right now on establishing a strong foundation.”

India is the second-largest motorcycle market in the world, with sales dominated by small, inexpensive bikes used as basic transportation. However, India’s rapidly growing economy, rising middle class and significant investment in construction of new highways have opened the door to leisure motorcycle riding.

“Given the rapid development of India’s economy and physical infrastructure, this is exactly the right time to bring the world’s greatest motorcycles to one of the world’s largest motorcycling nations,” said Levatich. “Our unique brand, distinctive motorcycles and strong experience in the leisure motorcycle market make us naturally suited to help lead and define the next era of motorcycling in India.”

Harley-Davidson is the global leader in cruising and touring motorcycles and ranks as one of the strongest brands in the world, with motorcycle sales now in more than 70 countries.

“Harley-Davidson fulfills dreams for people around the world through life-changing products and experiences,” said Levatich. “The Harley-Davidson brand represents self-expression, adventure, the freedom of the open road, and belonging to a global community – a family of riders. We know the relevance of the Harley-Davidson brand rings true in India just as it does in other markets around the world.”

The company will focus its initial steps in India on growing the Harley-Davidson brand through a variety of consumer experiences and on establishing a local dealer network.

The Harley-Davidson subsidiary in India will be led by Managing Director Anoop Prakash, who said the company has begun the process of identifying initial dealers in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Punjab State.

“As a key next step, we are looking for local dealer partners who share our passion and commitment to building customer relationships, the Harley-Davidson brand and our business in India for the long term,” said Prakash.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/568/4423/Motorcycle-Article/Harley-Davidson-To-Expand-into-India.aspx
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:07:26 pm
Ehhh,,,  I bet a Harley 500 single would be a huge hit over there...   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:20:29 pm
Not if it said BUELL
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:28:27 pm
  But would be a good platform to start at.  Shucks, to bad they aren't building it anymore..except for the compact version.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:44:38 pm
Well I guess it was going to happen sooner or later. With this severe economic downturn American labor has finally gotten so cheap so as to make even a Harley market affordable to the Indian populace...

I guess people in countries with money wouldn't lower their standards to look at any  of those American-made bikes.

OK, maybe I'm a cynical pessimist...

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:56:07 pm
about this time last year, india was producing more millionaires per capita than any other country....makes sense to sell luxury bikes in a bike country. anyway, up harley, i'm going indian when i finally decide to commit to luxury 'name brand'
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:45:13 pm by rideOn »
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:51 pm
It seems that they expect to sell 20-50 bikes nationwide. Besides the Harley bravado in the release, this will be very low volume. They intend to sell the 883 which is what they mostly sell in Europe as well. The cost is so high that the market will be limited to Bollywood types and those with too much money. The infrastructure of the roads does not make this a great bike for traveling. But they want a foothold in India which is wise. In order to have a chance at all they need to either assemble units or manufacture them in India because of duties. They had approached Enfield about assembling bikes for them, but REM declined as it did nothing for their brand. They also had talks about using the REM dealer network but again they really brought nothing to the party as far as RE was concerned. RE and Harley have a very long time relationship so we may not have heard the last of this.
  India relaxed it's emission rules for to allow Harley to enter India in exchange for the US allowing India to sell Mangos in the US. (I am not making this up).
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 06:38:18 pm
MMMMmmmm,  I like mangos...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

StephenCB

• Bulleteer
  • I finally own one!
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 06:41:08 pm
  But would be a good platform to start at.  Shucks, to bad they aren't building it anymore..except for the compact version.  Will.

About the 2010 Blast video - Is it just me, or did that guy look like he was about to cry on a few occasions in  the video?

???

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 06:50:06 pm
Mangos, huh? I'm all over that fruit, baby.

So it sounds like making money is more important to them than air pollution? Mangos... I mean, money is the root of all evil.

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 07:22:37 pm
Mangorita's all around!!!
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 07:23:59 pm
It's not like H-D hasn't done this sort of thing before.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=81
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 08:35:28 pm
  Wonder how much those Mango's are going to list for...Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 08:53:17 pm
  Wonder how much those Mango's are going to list for...Will.

$1 a lb,  except for the HD-branded ones,  those are $150 a lb.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:34:35 pm
H-D folks are marketing geniuses , next to McDonald's.

H-D was able to  image target Accountants, lawyers and doctors into thinking they were Marlen Brando on the weekends with the purchase of a H-D,while down grading other MC company's.

For people that don't have a motorcycle, H-D made a ton of sales in the apparel arena.

I can remember an H-D dirt bike in the 70'c. I believe it was made for H-D by Bernelli

I wouldn't be surprised if H-D has some plans to introduce the Buell 500cc or even
make a 350cc to siphon off sells from REM on there own turf.

Think about it , A 500cc Buell , badges with " Machismo Masher" and some leather danging off the handle bars extera chrome,....walla, a new kid is in town.

If I was REM I would be concerned.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)