Author Topic: riding with a passenger  (Read 4028 times)

rtrmrctcv666

• Neophyte
on: August 27, 2009, 02:09:50 pm
I'm looking to buy an Enfield soon.  Does anyone have experience with a passenger?  How does a passenger affect the handling, braking, acceleration and fuel mileage?  How is passenger comfort on longish (200+) day-trips? I currently ride about 12k/year on two other bikes ( an HD and a Triumph America), usually two up.  Thanks for any input.

mark

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:49:49 pm
hi,

I have given my friend a lift on my g5 efi.
He is 6'4 and 17 stone.
Front end slightly light,but no i'll effects.still pulls well.
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

mark

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:53:50 pm
sorry ! I forgot to say,current seat probably not that comfy for long hauls.
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:01:07 pm
  My iron lung really had no problem with a passenger but I would say it all depends on the seats you use.  I had the classic solo and classic pillion mounted at the time.  200 miles a day will allow for rest breaks so it shouldn't be a terrible experience, albeit slow.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:01:38 pm
My wife loves to go for rides,  hated the stock RE seat though,  I got a sprung pillion and now she is happy.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:34:59 pm
ride about 12k/year on two other bikes ( an HD and a Triumph America), usually two up.

Welcome aboard rtrmrctcv666.
 Nice variety ya got there. Thumbs up for sharing the fun with your passenger.  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 04:32:27 am
A passenger will have the same effect it does on your other bikes- only much more so;  lighter front end, longer to brake/stop, it will take more gas to get moving, etc.   Setting the shocks on "high" will help a little.
Run what ya brung

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:58:32 am
Today I went for a 60 mile or so ride with a passenger. Togwetehr we weigh about 400 lbs. We were riding a G5. I was actually amazed at how well the bike handles the weight and we didn't even bump up the preload. My passenger says that the vibration became a little annoying only above 65 MPH. Most of the ride we were about 50-60 so that wasn't a problem for us. She says the seat was pretty comfy.

I would say this is not a 200 mile two up bike comfortably but it can be done and anything less than 200 is fine provided that you take breaks occasionally. The last caveate is that the speeds should not all be highway speed. This bike is not best suited to staying at 70+ all day but loves 55-60 for as long as there is gas in the tank!

I'm sure you're not buying it to replace the HD or America so this should work well for you. Unless you are really tall you will find the seat to peg relationship much more friendly than your America which is a big reach and puts more weight on your backside by rolling your pelvis some. The bar reach is also much less.

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca
Royal Enfield and Triumph
www.douglasmotorcycles.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:57 am
Still haven't had a passenger on my bike but remember to increase the pressure in your tires to the max recommended in your manual and maybe raise the preload on the rear shocks one or two notches.  These things make every bike handle better with a passenger.

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 03:35:09 pm
never got a chance as I replaced the bench seat with the leather solo....I have noticed when riding with a passenger their is  a huge difference all around with the yamaha 1100...Wow 400 lbs on enfield for 60 miles...I do it if I had too but that's why u get the solo seat and u have a excuse not too...Enjoyed the write up on it and will keep it in mind if I ever put the OEM seat back on...
Oh Magoo you done it again

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 09:18:39 am
Excellent post. Thank you

My heart is set on buying an RE. But the other day, out of the blue, my beloved wife, who has never shown the slightest interest in motorcycling, says " if you buy that Enfield I can't go anywhere with you!"

But guilt trip aside...it is good to know that the new UCE engines can handle heavy loads and still cruise at acceptable speeds.

Does anyone know how the Classic iron barrels will handle passengers? Say about 375-400 pounds all up?

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:03 pm
Tell her that the more relaxed and leisurely ride on an RE just means more qualiity time together.  (After all, she pressed the guilt button)     Choose a C5 get dual sprung seats and let her choose the colour.   (or chrome classic)  Plus you will meet more people and make more new friends riding an RE    Or better yet, get two!  Nigel

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 04:19:31 pm
Nigel is right. Get one for her. Have her take the MSF course. Lots of macho Harley guys buy Sportsters for the "Little Lady" to learn on, but that is way too much for most beginners. The 4" lowering kit will make her feel more confident at stops. Added bonus, you get to ride it when she isn't  ;)