Author Topic: Harley-Davidson To Expand into India  (Read 8049 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 11:18:01 pm
Luxury name brand? I have one, it's called a Royal Enfield C5 Bullet Classic!  ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 11:25:50 pm
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 01:00:58 am
H-D is a world wide company sourcing many of their parts outside of the U.S..
 They ceased being a 100 % made in America product line company when they sold to American Machine and Foundry.
Weather or not they decide to quietly source parts through their Indian subsidiary remains to be seen.

I would consider buying H-D mango's as long as they had a Made in India sticker on them  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 11:37:40 am
$1 a lb,  except for the HD-branded ones,  those are $150 a lb.

Dang proprietary fees.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:36 pm
Just noticed "Harley Rumbles into India" made the front page of the Wall Street Journal today... guess I'll have to read it and see how the "experts" view it...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 07:27:25 pm
It's going to be fun watching Harley trying to protect their trademark in India. At present they will bust a mom and pop tent store at a motorcycle show for selling a 1/4 inch pin that they think was not licensed. Grandma and grandpa will find themselves face first in the dirt with handcuffs on if the Harley police think they have infringed on their name. (To be fair, enforcement is part of what you have to do to really protect a trademark in the US and yes they do comb through stalls at motorcycle rallies etc).
They could send every employee that they have recently laid off to India to police this and not make a dent. Their coming is going to be great for T-Shirt vendors etc. in India. The Black market is just a fact of life in India.
  If they sold a smaller bike that was manufacturered in India so it was competitively priced they could make a mark in the market. The duties are outrageous otherwise. Imagine the concept of a government protecting it's manufacturing base. We have a far better plan here, in the US, We tax manufacturers to death, make "business" a public enemy and then allow all the countires of the world who do not allow us to sell freely in their countries to sell here with no restrictions. Brilliant. I am a free market system person, but the free market does not exist outside of a handfull of places. Any US manufacturer who wants to sell goods in India and many other countries pays a very heavy price which keeps them from being competitive and our government supports this practice
 The new UCE engines use hydraulic valve lifters and gaskets made in the US and they pay a horrible import tax to bring them into India, because they are not made in India, while we allow anyone to sell anything here mostly duty free.,
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:43:36 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com