Author Topic: Cozy sidecar mount for UCE available?  (Read 4222 times)

thefieldworker

• Scooter
on: August 30, 2009, 01:43:11 am
I read somewhere in the forum that CMW was working on Cozy sidecar mounts for the G5's. But the post was in March, and I didn't see an update. Is it available yet?

I've actually never ridden a bike with a sidecar rig, and if you want to share your experiences, I'd love to hear them. Is it practical to keep taking the sidecar on and off? 

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 01:56:58 am
I feel safer with a sidecar. You can be seen better and you are much more stable. You can carry a lot more. Sand, gravel and snow doesn't bother you.
You shouldn't take the sidecar off, as the tires will "square" as you put miles on, and to ride with them solo will be difficult.

There's an old coot on here, Uncle Remus or Uncle Louie or something like that. he must be in his late 80's and he has a BMW with a sidecar. perhaps he'll add something to this.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 02:10:41 am
Thank you faithful acolyte.  I wish you would check with me first- I'm missing my TV shows.

First, one must note that there is a sidecar specific department here.  such lack of attention to detail can hurt you on a sidecar.

Go to these sites and ask questions, and learn.  The USCA has an electronic pancake thing you can download for free re the care and feeding of all things sidecar.  If you know how to do that sort of thing... http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/category-view.asp
And;  http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56
The practicality of a SC on a Bullet has been discussed on both forums, if you care to visit "search".

In general;  A sidecar is no longer a motorcycle, and some people end up ab-so-lute-ly hating it.   Secondly, taking a tub off and putting back on is a chore.  It comes off easily and it usually take be 2 or 3 days to get it right after I put it back on.  This involves a good straight edge an

2 furniture dollies.
Run what ya brung

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 02:16:48 am
Sorry, but my screen starts jumping around like crazy after a paragraph or two.
Anyway, as Mr Whealtor said, your tires will wear out fast in the middle.  If you get SC specific tires and take the tub off, going through turns feels like falling over. 
Also, the extra weight will greatly reduce gas mileage and slow the whole shebang down.

OTOH, cute sidecar rigs have TONS of pick-up power.  Pretty girls will fall off the curb waving at you and asking for a ride.  If you have a dog, you will become a god to him.  Well- more than you are now, I mean.

If you decide to get one, learn and practice with ballast. 
Run what ya brung

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 02:22:14 am
Thanks for the info, UncleErnie. I scanned the RE forums and other sites, but did not go deep into sidecar.com (actually, in another tab I downloaded Kendall's manual, but had not yet read it).

BlueRidge (if I may be so forward), are you happy with your Ural? I got caught up in a Ural rider's ride report the other night, which got me thinking about getting a sidecar. The "2 bikes for the price of 1" plug on the Ural Retro made me think about the possibilities of a sidecar with my G5, but now armed with more knowledge, I wouldn't want to give up riding solo. Guess I need to find $ for another bike with sidecar, and even more $$$ for the alimony.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 02:38:41 am
I LOVE the Ural.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 03:04:10 am
For some reason, Ural drivers seem to love to photograph their rigs in snow.
You can tell Bernie's rich- he has his snow trucked in from Colorado because it doesn't snow that much where he lives.
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 04:04:27 am
hahaha, lets see if this works...

REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville