Author Topic: crappy summer  (Read 8941 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 24, 2009, 02:41:28 am
Besides real estate being in the crapper, this has been a lousy summer.
Last year we were in a major drought and the state of NC was poised to regulate our water useage (and gain a revenue stream to boot), but before they could act we got all kinds of rainn. Almost every day it rains. I mow the lawn and i hit patches of mushrooms. I don't like getting wet anymore, if I don't have to. My luck, and I'd catch a cold and they'd think it was the swine flu and quarantine me.
  This morning I considered heading up the Parkway. I heard Uncle Remus and the Sons of Malarky were having a breakfast meet up there and I'm sure he'd buy me a meal. unfortunately, we were fogged in down here. Riding in the fog makes my joints ache.
  I was having a situation with wet sumping, and around noon I decided to head out instead with the Ural. It looked like rain anyways, and heading into a curve on a wet road on the RE wasn't something i wanted to do. The ural doesn't mind rain, or snow.
   I did 10 miles on forest roads, then hit pavement and the Parkway. I left at 2500', and went up to 5500'. It was chilly. i realized summer was almost over. Soon the RE will be put away, and the fairing put on the Ural. What a crappy summer, i hardly rode at all.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:48:14 am
i know what you mean. ;)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:13:42 am
  Wasn't any better up here in Wisconsin.  Never got warm, had maybe 1 week that felt like summer.  But hey at least my arthritis was in full bloom aslmost the whole time.  Hoping for at least a couple week Indian Summer before fall really sets in.  Did manage to put on almost threee thousand miles in spite of everything.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:42:37 am
  Wasn't any better up here in Wisconsin.  Never got warm, had maybe 1 week that felt like summer.  But hey at least my arthritis was in full bloom aslmost the whole time.  Hoping for at least a couple week Indian Summer before fall really sets in.  Did manage to put on almost threee thousand miles in spite of everything.  Will.

Funny you should mention that. I never had much problems with arthritis before, but this spring/summer it has killed me.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:11:36 am
I have to say I agree with you about it being a crappy summer,, for an entire host of reasons...     :-\        Things are bound to improve..... 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:35:17 am
 Unusually hot dry summer up here in western Washington. Hard on crops and gardens.  Many days to hot to ride the Bullet without real risk of seizing the engine. New job is a freeway commute so haven't been able to ride like i want to .
 Fog and rain are the norm for the better part of Fall , all the Winter and much of Spring.  The days are very short and the nights long in the winter due to our latitude. Need a high output alternator if I'm to wear a heated riding suit.

*Modified to add*

It was pointed out to me that most of my riding seems to happen in the dark and/or the sloppy seasons. It makes sense now as I realize that's when my spirit could use a lift the most.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:46:28 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:41:02 am
I hardly ever get to ride in the summer, but not because of the weather. I'm a single parent of three, so when the kids are out of school for the summer, my free time goes down to zero.

The thing is, I recently met up with a good group of people who ride all sorts of bikes, anything and everything included. They get together for 'bike night' at the Sonic drive-in burger joint every Thursday evening. Just a fun get-together, take pictures of all the bikes that show up, chat about bike stuff, etc.

My mom has been babysitting for me for the past month so I can go to these bike nights, and it's been fun (the Bullet, of course, is always drawing everyone's interest because it's the only one in the area). Lots of cool bikes to see. But now that I'm getting into it and getting to know everyone, she's starting a night class and I'll have no babysitter for the next two months. By the time she can do it again, the weather will be cold and nobody will be going anymore.  :-[

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:43:11 am by Slider »
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:13:53 pm
Dang, you guys had it bad. I had a great summer with lots of riding on a new C5, I'm thinking this fall will be even better.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 02:28:01 pm
gee i live in wisconsin and put thousands of miles on my bikes.and my bikes love the cool weather. plus i can wear my leather jacket almost all the time.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:34:12 pm
We had the coldest July on record in SW Michigan... and a high of 69 last saturday.  Not compaining... my Bullet LOVES cool weather.  I'm not a fan of cold AND wet, though... we've had a couple of wet streaks that mostly keep me off the road. 

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 03:03:44 pm
Here in the Northeast we had constant rain and low temps from May until about last week, when it got tropically humid and hot (mid-90s). Even though this has meant less riding than I wanted, I'll take the cool rainy weather over humid heat waves any time.

Summer tends to be brutally disgusting in New York City (check out The Great Gatsby for an accurate description), but this one has been remarkably forgiving, and now that it's finally arrived I can't wait for Fall.

Jeff

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 03:39:25 pm
The Sons Of Malarky had a huge turn-out.  Everyone asked about the Whealtor because they were looking to invest in real estate now that prices have dropped.  Sorry I didn't have any of your cards...

I thought it would be cooler up there, so I wore a shirt.  As the bike got higher, my temperature did too.  AFter ordering, it took a long time to get our food because of all the people.  By the time mine got to me, I took one bite and felt like tossing my cookies.  The whole time I was fantasizing about getting warm in bed. 
Outside, someone pointed and said, "Guess what Uncle Ernie is riding?"  Some pointed and laughed as most went over to Bob's Buell and asked about it. 

I did learn something this year, however.  You have to DIG out new oak trees;  just cutting them like weeds starts new sprouts.  The aquerrils plant the seeds.  We have lots of squerrils.  Now I have lots of new oak trees next to the house trying to wreak mayhem on my foundation.
Run what ya brung

D.B.Owen

• Owen's Obsession
  • Scooter
  • To Know me is to love me.........
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 05:43:12 pm
Yes it's been a crappy summer. But atleast you got to ride. The rod bearing puked in my bike several months ago, and I've just watched everuone else ride..... But should have her back on the road next summer.
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE.

2001 500 Real Bullet - 4 SPEED / KICK START ONLY

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 06:01:13 pm
I'm in Western NC too, a little lower in elevation than Wheeltor.  I haven't had much fog and the temps are warmer, but you never know where these torrential gully-washers are going to pop up.  I'm afraid to ride far away unless there are NO clouds visible.  I don't like getting soaked either, but at least my Electra does pretty well on wet pavement since I upgraded the tires.  Overall my summer has been kind of weird.  Not riding as far, but I do ride almost every day or two just a little between rain showers, but it may be just a few miles on the roads around Lake James.  I'm looking forward to the Fall when I can comfortably wear the leather jacket and the weather typically turns dryer.   
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 07:43:35 pm
"Dang, you guys had it bad. I had a great summer with lots of riding... " r80rt

Same here in the BIG ATL, my brothers and sisters!!!  ;) 
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla