Author Topic: Update still need some advice...  (Read 1158 times)

shotty8585

• Scooter
on: August 22, 2009, 01:54:11 am
Okay so here is the update... Today I got in my new k&n air filter and my 125 main jet for the carb... Installed both of those and she started up just like she used to so that was good... Only thing was she was high idleing like crazy... What are some good starting points when setting the big idle screw and the small air screw? I have heard on the small air screw to turn it all the way in then to screw it out two full turns. But what about the idle screw? It was idling so high that it shook loose my tappet adjustment...Is it possible for the middle nut on the tappet (smallest one) to become stripped? cause most of the time I can loosen and tighten it just with my finger?!?! Well any advice would be great. Thanks for all the advice thus far... My baby is now starting that is the good thing. Now to just learn how to work all the little kinks out... Man I hate being a noob...

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:57:34 am
When I changed my jets recently, I had the same problem.
In my case, I took out the float to put in the jet, and when I did the needle for the float fell out. I put it back in upside down and had the same revving problems you describe. Pointy end goes up.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

shotty8585

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:00:46 am
Yeah I did the same thing but when I checked it out I def. had the pointy in up... Any other suggestions?

shotty8585

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:17:13 pm
Okay so I took the carb back apart and put it all back together. everything there is good to go. But when I fire it up it still idles way high. Is this happening because I switched the main jet with a 125 orinally it was all stock. What else can I do to remedy this idling?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:50:29 pm
Make sure you have a small washer under the main jet when you screw it in and your throttle slide goes all the way down when assembled with the cable. ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:52:34 pm
Please double check for air leaks and cable adjustment ( don't ask me how I know :-[ )

Check out this thread too http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,105.0.html
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 02:53:03 pm
  I had a couple of different things happen after casrb dis/reassembly.  Make sure your throttle cable isn't hung up on the sleeve near the hand control.  I had mine get caught once so was holding the slide about 1/2 open.  Also make sure you can see that the slide is all the way down in the carb throat when you look in from the back of the carb with the air filter off.  Had a piece of trash stuckin the slides port and wouldn't open or close.

As far as the idle screw I'd back it off until it isn't touching the carb body and try starting it..if it runs you'll just have to turn it in a little at a time until it idles.  Dirt in a  carb passage way can cause the high idle also.  Those are the things I'd try first.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.