Author Topic: The amateur mechanic of old  (Read 3171 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 20, 2009, 04:45:08 pm
Attached are some small excerpts from an ancient little book I bought about 30 years ago in a second hand shop.  Note the cover price of 3 shillings.  I am not sure of its publication date but I would guess it was sometime between WWI and WWII.

In those days the amateur mechanic would undertake all sorts of scary tasks, including lapping crank pin and main bearing journals back to roundness. Big end and main bearings would then be de-shimmed by a couple of thou and hand scraped to fit the cleaned up journals, assisted by marking compound that showed up the high spots that still needed to be cut back.

The author of the book does concede that things could get a bit complicated, alignment-wise, when there were more than two main bearings. A satisfactory bearing fit being "a condition which an amateur repairer can scarcely hope to achieve".

Bullet owners would have been in their element in those days.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:52:50 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:01:25 pm
Despite today's economic hardships I can say that I am truly glad this type of work is not necessary for me to do - economically or technically.

Back when that was your only transportation and you were lucky to have that, then you didn't have a choice.

Choices, ain't they great!

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:00:51 pm
I think, though, that it is empowering to be self sufficient through the acquisition of deep skills.

These days we are too much the passive consumers.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:02:25 pm
  We used to say the old timers like my pop lived in the stone ages, the man could repair most items with stuff off the scrap heap.  Learned a lot of cool stuff from watching him.  He still throws nothing but garbage away.  But being born in 1931 he learned to deal with life one blow at a time.  I remember him buying old books like that a garage sales.  He'd read them like I read a novel/newspaper.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:07:46 pm
Very cool, Br. Chas!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:54:23 am
This method still works.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 08:48:13 am
I used to have a 3 volume set of those type of books, they were a fantastic read. originally meant to keep things going during the war.

Pages of pictures of how to straighten valves, weld blocks, repair tyres, anything,.             My dad gave them away.  he must have forgot he gave them to me.   I was a bit pissed about that but what can you say when he's 84
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member