Author Topic: Knee Draggin  (Read 2401 times)

Nevadan

• Scooter
on: August 19, 2009, 04:04:35 pm
Was riding my Enfield last night for the first time and did some knee dragging only not the regular way.  Where I live all there is for a few miles is dirt roads so I was puttering up and down those.  Well it started getting dark and it turns out that the headlight points more up then down so I started back.  Well I was riding along minding my own business when out of the blue my right foot gets nocked off the peg and my motorcycle turns sideways and I'm sliding.  Now the motorcycle is trying to lean left for a highside so I am leaning right and at some point I end up draggin my right knee across the ground.  Well when everything stops I am still over my motorcycle and the rubber side is still down but I have a big hole in my nearly new pair of jeans.  Then I am looking around trying to figure out what happend and I saw the brake lever had found a new position.

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj408/Luke_Everett_B/Royal%20Enfield/DSCF9137.jpg

So I figure I must have caught the brake lever on a rut or something and that drug me around sideways. 

So all this leads to the question, where can I get a new break lever?  I cannot seem to find one on CMW Store.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:11:50 pm

So all this leads to the question, where can I get a new break lever?  I cannot seem to find one on CMW Store.

Probably best to call on something like that to make sure you get what you need.  They have tons of stuff that isn't on the website.  Toll Free: 1-800-201-7472
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:21:31 pm
  Not good at least you are basically fine..sans jeans.  Along with CMW for parts you may want to see if anyone on the site has a brake pedal.  A few of the guys have done a right hand shift conversion and may be able to help you out.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 04:26:06 pm
Man, that must have scared the bejeezus out of you!  Good thing you are ok.  Was the brake lever hanging very low in the first place?

As far as a new one, just give CMW a call.  They only list their most common items on the website.

Eamon
Eamon

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 04:27:59 pm
Hmm,  I had a chrome brake lever hanging about the garage... I will check when I get home, but I may have sold it on ebay
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 04:57:38 pm
Br. Nevadan, your middle name must Lucky!!!  I'm VERY glad all your damages were confined to torn jeans and a bent brake pedal... WOWZAA!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 05:11:19 pm
Hit a rock or tree root, maybe?
Can't tell- could you put it in a vise and straighten it?
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 05:18:33 pm
The brake pedal is about the lowest thing hanging on the bike.
The centerstand is also down pretty low.
They will drag.

However, what sometimes happens with the brake pedal is that one of both of  the securing bolts for the crossover rod comes loose, and the pedal then flops down and digs into the road. This actually can flip you off the bike, as you found out.
It's very important to check that those bolts stay secure.

I have heard of some people putting a little piece of spring wire under the pedal bar somewhere, to act as an "emergency catch"  for the pedal if it drops.

I personally have never experienced that, but I've read about it from several people who did have it happen, and now you may be another one.

The right-side shifter conversion will do away with all that crossover linkage shit, but it costs a few hundred bucks.
It gives much better shifting, better ground clearance, looks better, and allows the use of taller gearing in the sprockets. And does away with the brake pedal linkage going under the bike.
Then the brake pedal is on the left side, and is firmly connected to the rear brake by the adjustable brake rod. They don't fall off.

These bikes were originally designed to have shifting on the right, and rear brake pedal on the left, and when US regs forced the changeover, they had to make linkages to switch sides with the pedals. It is better to return it to the old style if you can deal with the expense and getting used to shifting on the right and braking on the left.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:24:27 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

sopwithdriver

• Skill Junkie
  • Bulleteer
  • always like to keep my audience riveted!
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 05:50:45 pm
You need to get a steel shoe while your at it ;D Glad your ok and didnt get thrown from the near highside.
Nah, It's supposed to sound like that.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 06:00:54 pm
There are new ones on e bay,cheap.
Fruit of the loom undrewear are on sale at  P enneys
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 06:52:29 pm
There are new ones on e bay,cheap.
Fruit of the loom undrewear are on sale at  P enneys

:D :D :D Not when I'm drinking coffee damn it!!!!!
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 06:58:23 pm
  In addition to all other things I just ordered the right shift kit so if you want to try and straighten all the bent crap out, and give me about a week to get mine done and proof the work.  I can send you what you need to change from my cast-off parts.  My next weekend starts next Monday.   Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:21:57 am
Ace said:
"However, what sometimes happens with the brake pedal is that one of both of  the securing bolts for the crossover rod comes loose, and the pedal then flops down and digs into the road. This actually can flip you off the bike, as you found out.

I have heard of some people putting a little piece of spring wire under the pedal bar somewhere, to act as an "emergency catch"  for the pedal if it drops."

I installed a spring to act as an "emergency catch".  I have not had to use it, but, I am glad I have it.  Here is a photo looking from front to back.  The spring is hooked to the frame with plumbers strap:

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:52 am

I installed a spring to act as an "emergency catch".  I have not had to use it, but, I am glad I have it.  Here is a photo looking from front to back.  The spring is hooked to the frame with plumbers strap:

Ahh,, Dunlop K70s,   gonna get some of those once I get my house in order. 

I am even more happy I did the RH shift conversion now..  Pole vaulting sounds like a sport I don't want to do on an RE...     Good tip about the spring....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Nevadan

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:08:58 pm
Sorry for taking so long to post internet at work would let me reply although it let me start this thread, don't know what was going on.

Man, that must have scared the bejeezus out of you!  Good thing you are ok.  Was the brake lever hanging very low in the first place?

As far as a new one, just give CMW a call.  They only list their most common items on the website.

Eamon

I wasn't to worried about me, I wasn't going to fast and I've wrecked dirt bikes worse, all I could think about was puting a nice big dent in the tank.  Although I have to admit it did get some adrenaline flowing.
The brake lever was where it should have been, I think I must have got to close to a rut and caught it.

Br. Nevadan, your middle name must Lucky!!! 

Nope it's Everett which means strong as a boar.  Guess I have tough skin like one too bearly a scrape in the knee.

Can't tell- could you put it in a vise and straighten it?
Plan on trying it but I might need to use a torch which will wreck the chrome so want a replacement in the long run.

However, what sometimes happens with the brake pedal is that one of both of  the securing bolts for the crossover rod comes loose, and the pedal then flops down and digs into the road. This actually can flip you off the bike, as you found out.

The right-side shifter conversion will do away with all that crossover linkage shit, but it costs a few hundred bucks.

Didn't happen this time everything is still tight but good advice none the less.  I have been considering that modification, maybe this winter when it is 40 bellow.

You need to get a steel shoe while your at it ;D Glad your ok and didnt get thrown from the near highside.

A Shoe wouldn't have helped much it appears I need a steel knee pad
My luck though, I would probably wreck and need a can opener to get it off.

1Blackwolf1, thanks I appreciate it, if Garbone already sold his.