Author Topic: Question from newbie  (Read 3689 times)

newtotexas

• Scooter
on: August 18, 2009, 08:58:49 am
I am a new g-5 owner and this is my first bike, so I have really appreciated having this forum as a resource. I'm hoping this will be an easy question to answer for you guys. I've put 1100 miles on my bike since the recall and it has been running great and I have been loving every minute of it. The only issue I've had was a loose gas tank that made an incredible racket until the mechanic at my dealer figure it out and tightened her down. Now I am getting some pretty noticable vibrations, feels like the frame itself is vibrating. Also, the motor is not running quite as smoothly. I haven't noticed any power loss, it just doesn't sound "right."
Its had its schedule service, I check the tire pressure regularly, and even tried adjusting it to see if I had overinflated or something. I plan on tightening every bolt and going through every recommended action in the operators manual in the morning, but I was hoping against hope that one of the old timers on this site will lead me in the right direction.
I really want to get it straight because I'm just starting to get comfortable enough on the bike to really enjoy it!  ;D Thanks in advance.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:33:03 pm
Since this is your first bike, I'd say that your just not familiar with vibrations that are normal for a single cylinder. By their very nature they vibrate because there is nothing to counter the effect of one piston rising and falling. Give yourself some time to get used to the bike. If your really concerned talk to your dealer, they should know.

newtotexas

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:07:33 pm
Thanks Phil. I considered the fact that it could be just inexperience, but it is markedly different and more pronounced than the first 1100 miles, and it just happened; one day smooth (relatively speaking), next day not. You're probably right, I should take it to the dealer.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:47:58 pm
I don't know your bike, but on mine, there is a small arm (maybe 5 inches?) that connects the engine to the frame, under thank, in front of the seat.  I looked down one day and one of the nuts was gone.  Also check down below to make sure the engine mounting bolts / nuts are all tight.
Run what ya brung

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:40:49 pm
NewtoTexas,

UE has a good point to check that brace if there is one on the UCE. After that, the dealer.

So where in Texas? I'm in New Braunfels.

newtotexas

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:10:35 am
Thanks for the help guys! Looks like you were right Uncle Ernie. I checked the mount and one of the nuts had come off and the bolt had almost backed all the way out. I'm about to go tighten her up and take it for a spin.

Phil, I'm on Lake Travis near Volente. Just moved here a couple of months ago to go to UT.

Thanks again for the help guys, I really, really appreciate it. One more question. Any opinions on using a little marine-tech on the threads so I don't have problems with parts coming loose? I know it would be a pain if I ever had to loosen them, but I would like to avoid more stuff coming loose. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:07 am
Blue lock - tight might be the way to go, it is disasembleable (if that's a word)  ;D then.

Another good choice is to replace nuts with nylock nuts, the ones with the nylon inserts in the threads.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:11:09 am
Blue lock - tight might be the way to go, it is disasembleable (if that's a word)  ;D then.

Another good choice is to replace nuts with nylock nuts, the ones with the nylon inserts in the threads.

They gave ya good advice here. Please consider using Stainless Steel hardware if you think rust may possibly happen some year in the future.  Not expensive to replace fasteners a few at a time.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 10:18:02 am
Texas huh,

Okay,Items needed.
1) Milk grate or five gal buck
2)Spanners (that's British for wrenches)
3)Shade( gets hot in the sun in Texas)
4)Tall glass of iced tea( see above reason)
5) Rag

Pull your RE under a shade tree,sit down beside your RE on milk crate or bucket.
Place ice tea with in arm sreach as not to knock over on ground , sip tea.
Whilst you are relaxed, take various spanners to various fasteners on MC, gently tighten,be careful of striping aluminium treads.
Use rag to wipe grit from RE once you become bored of looking for loose bolts, thus exposing more things to tinker with.

Enjoy.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:15:18 pm
What Alaroyal means is- if you use blue Loc-tite, you can take it aprt again.  Most folks here buy it by the gallon.
Run what ya brung

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 01:55:50 pm
What Alaroyal means is- if you use blue Loc-tite, you can take it aprt again.  Most folks here buy it by the gallon.

I figured that "disasembleable" might get a comment.   ;D
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:06:43 pm
I tried to say that out loud.  I never had tongue cramps before- it hurts after a while!

(I had to be Mr Smartypants...)
Run what ya brung