Author Topic: Tinkering?  (Read 8335 times)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 03:05:10 pm
Nope --I still think we are talking at cross purposes here, solder is the soft stuff in a roll that you use to solder wires, it melts at 800.with a soldering iron.

Silver solder is in a rod is stiff and looks like brazing rod but square you will need acetylene or LPG to use it.   This is great for stronger bonds such as cable nipple ends.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 06:23:47 pm
  Could be..I don't use the tin/lead solder.  I still use the stuff you have to use flux paste with.  I know it has a different make-up than than the acid core stuff.  Okay I went and looked I'm using 95/5 tin/lead.  My mistake.  We use the stuff on the stick for brazing.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 06:42:14 pm
I once bought a roll of silver solder that came in a kit in a plastic tube with a bottle of flux in the center, this was bought in Fiji.  Useful stuff, but you couldn't tell it from ordinary tin solder, except when you tried to substitute for one or the other.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 06:53:34 pm
  I have some like that also, but can't find the contents listed on the tube since the insert card is missing.  Know I had to use a propane torch to melt it.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 08:08:58 pm
My kit was put out by a torch company that also made a camping stove with the small propane cylinders.  I think the name was 'Bluette".  I have a few rods of bronze, very thin, put out by Benzomatic.  The Bluette company, as I recall, was French.  Believe it or not, I put together a Heath kit depth sounder for my boat in the heat and humidity of Vanuatu (then New Hebrides) with my Bluette torch which had a little copper bar as an attachment, which was held by a bracket over the torch's flame.  I had an electrical engineer come by the boat and tell me "it'll never work, using a torch like that" which made me mad enough to get the damn thing going.  Only problem was my depth sounder kit came missing a page from the instructions and I put one of the transistors in backwards, spending days trying to figure it out, still pissed off, until I happened to look closely at the transistor pictured on another page and figured it was backwards - bingo - it worked and never quit working as long as I had the boat.  You can do a lot when you have no other choice!
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:39 pm
  My dad never trruly had repair manuals for a most of the farm equipment we had, he would make drawings of how came apart and use those for reassembly.  We once had an old tractor and the thing would go backwards faster than forwards (turbohydrostatic) and he pulled all the valves out of it and just looked at them for a long while, then test fit them.  Once he was done he buttoned everything up started the tractor and voila..all was good.

The guy he got the trasctor from said he had taken it to at least three repairmen and no one could figure it out what was wrong with it.  Took dad maybe an hour to figure it out.  He never finished high school but I would see him figure out the hardest of mechanical problems.  If he got mad he was better, almost demon like.  My BSA in a box dad peiced together on the bench w/o a book.  I wish I knew what he's forgotten.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 09:50:37 pm
She did give me a terrific wink and a smile, as we pulled back into the garage, and said: Papa, that was one HELLUVA run... WOWZAA!!! 

Cabo it sounds like you had a good run, Nothing like an agile dark eyed girl is there?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:00 am
"Cabo it sounds like you had a good run, Nothing like an agile dark eyed girl is there?" r80rt

Br. Dannie, it is an absolute yes on the "good run"; and, a very much indeed on the "agile dark eyed girl" ...  ;)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 04:10:27 pm
I used silver solder intended for electronics on some shortened wiring, .040 thickness..

oh, BTW,,  after all summer I got it running.. quite a bit of tinkering to get there ;D

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 11:37:52 pm
  So are you much happier?
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.