Author Topic: What do you think this is?  (Read 11741 times)

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 10:04:04 pm
And you are right. Other than finding those little "tabs" of metal when changing the oil there were no indications of a problem whatsoever. The ball bearing next to it took the whole load without a whimper.
If it weren't for the REcall the bike would have probably still been on the road and all the tabs would have come out with the oil changes by now.

And mine might have to be still on the road. First comments from my dealer are  that "there's nothing to worry about". Haven't heard from the importers yet but their choice will be to agree there's a problem and incur the cost of an engine strip...or...suggest there's nothing to worry about. What do you think it'll be?

I'll reserve judgement until I hear from the importers but I'll be staggered if they're happy to allow fragments like that circulate the engine and gearbox. I think that's taking Enfield quirks beyond the limit.

Kevin, if a customer came to you with this what would you do?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 10:34:13 pm
Rule of thumb, most machines.

In the drain pan, plug, fine particles,and sometimes hair like slivers are fine.Things do wear.

But if the pieces become big enough to merritt trying to read a part number, this is cause for concern.

If the part is of concern, the engine will eventually become a house of cards.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 01:36:19 am
And mine might have to be still on the road. First comments from my dealer are  that "there's nothing to worry about". Haven't heard from the importers yet but their choice will be to agree there's a problem and incur the cost of an engine strip...or...suggest there's nothing to worry about. What do you think it'll be?

I'll reserve judgement until I hear from the importers but I'll be staggered if they're happy to allow fragments like that circulate the engine and gearbox. I think that's taking Enfield quirks beyond the limit.

Kevin, if a customer came to you with this what would you do?

Nothing to worry about?  My ass.
Just because it's running OK don't mean it's going to last forever like that.  It would be to their advantage to fix it now rather than later. It's a simple case of pay now or pay more later.

I can't speak for Kevin, but following this whole REcall thing makes me glad I'm on his side of the pond!
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 01:43:58 am
I can't speak for Kevin, but following this whole REcall thing makes me glad I'm on his side of the pond!
CJ

No kidding, I got a new main bearing when they did the tranny upgrade. Eveything was fine in my engine, but I feel better with the upgrades.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 01:53:31 am
CJ - I gots it in mah head that I NEEDS to be there .....  ;D I think there is gonna be a rebellion if a couple of us DON'T get a little break! hahahaha!! After the last little suare' , you know I'm all about a good camp fire, some gREat friends and a little Scotch! I'm told that the little event is an even BETTER time than the last one .... although I can hardly believe it ....  ::)

It truly is a great time for all the reasons you state.
A good campfire? You ain't seen nutten yet! They have professional stokers just to keep you warm till the wee hours.
Yup, I'm ready.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 02:14:33 pm
CJ

No kidding, I got a new main bearing when they did the tranny upgrade. Eveything was fine in my engine, but I feel better with the upgrades.

We at CMW are taking this upgrade VERY seriously. We truly want our new C5 and G5 owners to have the BEST experience that they can have. Yes - it's a little inconvenient to have your bike "downed" for this upgrade - BUT - in the long run it'll add reliability and the sting of not having the bike for a week will be LONG forgotten. We have waded through QUITE a few of these here at the CMW warehouse and the fix is truly "belts and suspenders" - it's WAY better than it has to be. That's the way we like it, though. The factory has stepped up to the plate to make the bike ever better than it was designed to be - and the CMW dealer network, as well as a couple of us here have followed that lead. It IS good to be on "this side of the pond"!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 02:19:37 pm
It truly is a great time for all the reasons you state.
A good campfire? You ain't seen nutten yet! They have professional stokers just to keep you warm till the wee hours.
Yup, I'm ready.
CJ

"Wee hours" he says .... That'll be about eleven o'clock for MY old tired butt ..... Hahahaha!! I'm ready as well ...... the sleeping bag is all aired out and the flask is full and ready .... Heeheehee!! I can't wait ..... It'll be good to see all the rabble-rousing, no-good-for-nothing miscreant motorcyclists there .....  ;) (notice I DIDN'T say BIKERS? Those guys ARE a public hazard!! Hahaha!!)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 03:53:45 pm
"Wee hours" he says .... That'll be about eleven o'clock for MY old tired butt .....

11PM! I don't think the band will be done playing by then.
Better grab a camping spot in the back 40 if your really planning on sleeping.
Ear Plugs help too.

And there will be "bikers" there too. The pasta pilots (guzzi riders) show up in force.
I hope enough "Enfield Enthusiasts"  show up to tip the scales.

CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 06:58:12 pm
I have a full flask to help with the sleeping chores .... Hahahaha!!! And them past Pilots don't scare ME none .... they are kindred spirits if'n you ask me! They DARE to be DIFFERENT as well .... besides all that, most of them guys are old hippy-dippy doods - adn you know what THAT means ....  ;) ..... fun WILL be had by all .... Heeheehee!!!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 09:23:31 pm
CJ - I gots it in mah head that I NEEDS to be there .....  ;D I think there is gonna be a rebellion if a couple of us DON'T get a little break! hahahaha!! After the last little suare' , you know I'm all about a good camp fire, some gREat friends and a little Scotch! I'm told that the little event is an even BETTER time than the last one .... although I can hardly believe it ....  ::)

I like your thinking  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

soulforge

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 07:47:14 am
That's part of the cage on the drive side roller bearing.
Bet ya a buck it's a NBC bearing.
CJ
Sorry for interupting but what is a 'NBC' bearing?
AJS Distributor
Former Royal Enfield Distributor
Belstaff Distributor
Barbour International Dealer
Former Chairman of REOCK (RE Owner's Club Korea)
2019 Interceptor 650
2012 Bullet 500 EFI
2008 American Deluxe (AVL)
1994 Triumph Bonneville
1983 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
1969 Indian Chief

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 11:40:48 am
Sorry for interupting but what is a 'NBC' bearing?

NBC is the brand name.
1972 FLH "Sambo"

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 01:10:00 pm
Some developments

Watsonian have confirmed that it is a fragment of main bearing cage but it’s left over from the old bearings which were replaced during the gearbox recall work. That’s supposed to make me feel better. The crank and gearbox must have come out, difficult to see where this fragment could have remained hidden particularly as they would have been looking for broken main bearing cages (wouldn’t they?).

Oh well, I’ve registered it as a potential fault so we’ll see how things develop.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:12 pm
Watsonian have confirmed that it is a fragment of main bearing cage but it’s left over from the old bearings which were replaced during the gearbox recall work. That’s supposed to make me feel better. The crank and gearbox must have come out, difficult to see where this fragment could have remained hidden particularly as they would have been looking for broken main bearing cages (wouldn’t they?).

That very well could be true. There are a lot of nooks and cranny's for something like that to hide.
So I guess the dealer may have been OK telling you that was nothing to worry about but he should have gone in a little detail with you on it.
So get out there and ride that baby and change oil often.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"