Author Topic: How do you warm up your bike?  (Read 6006 times)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
on: August 14, 2009, 05:14:15 pm
In "Keep your Volkswagen Alive" John Muir talks about starting the bug, rolling and smoking a cigarette, then driving off, thereby allowing enough time for the engine to warm up. I stopped smoking a number of years ago, but I do let the Bug and Bullet warm up before heading out.

In the morning, I start the bike and let it run until the barrel feels warm, then off I go. I believe that warming up the bike is important to get the oil splashed around and flowing well. I am curious, what do you guys do for warm up?

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:17:13 pm
  I do about the same thing.  Let it run until it levels out.  Probably about 2 minutes or so.  Probably longer if it's really cool outside, or if I'm making a short trip.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:19:45 pm
Typically about 2- 5 minutes.
I start it up and let it idle, while I'm getting my jacket, helmet, and gloves on.
Then I get on it and sit there for a little while, and when I feel like it's ready, I go.
Generally I'll ride very gently for the first few minutes after I leave the house, maybe 3 minutes or more, before I start riding normally.
I don't give it any really hard throttle until I've been on the road for at least 10-15 minutes.
After that amount of time, I'll give it whatever I want to give it, and it hasn't caused any problems for me yet.
I like the oil to be good and warmed-up, and the whole engine fully heat-expanded before I give her the guns.

The shortest warm up I'll do is about 2 minutes.
But, then I just have to ride gently for that much longer, because I still don't want to give her any hard throttle until she's ready for it.
But, sometimes I will start riding after 2 minutes because it makes me feel like I'm getting out earlier, even if I do have to ride slow for awhile anyway.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:15:21 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:39:12 pm
About the same for me. I've owned my bullet for almost a year now, and my warm-up routine has gotten longer and longer. Recently I noticed that it starts better if I turn the fuel tap on and let it sit for a good 30 seconds or more (I used to wait maybe 10 seconds or so). If I do that, it'll start on the first kick or first use of the electric starter. If I don't, it'll take a few tries.

I purposely leave all my gear off before starting it. Then I put on my jacket, messenger bag, helmet, gloves, walk around and check for leaks, check the lights, etc. Once it's idling smoothly (about 2-5 minutes, depending on outdoor temperature), I'll push it off the center stand and ride easily until I can feel the motor and transmission fully warmed up (+/- 10 minutes).

Jeff

petefletcher

• Bulleteer
  • One Life - Live It
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 06:56:24 pm
I don't let it stand to warm it up as the quicker it's warm the better.
I start it and go BUT only use minimal throttle and third gear for 100 yards  and then into top and very gentle throttle for the next couple of miles.
2008 350 Classic Bullet
1961 Triumph Cub Trials

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:17:12 pm
About 1 minute after it runs OK off the choke I pop it off the centerstand and off I go.

I too drive gently for the first couple of miles.

Mind, I have a non-stock setup from our friends across the pond and it has, yes, one of THOSE carbs on it. Actually, I've been very happy with my Amal.

Bottem line for me in many years and on many bikes is that it's not warm enough if it gives you any performance complaints when you start out for your ride.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:35:05 pm
Choke, kick, count slowly to five, choke off, wait for steady idle, ( usually half a minute or so) then try a little throttle. If no hiccup, off I go. I'm usually waiting for traffic to clear anyway. Gently at first. If it rained the night before or is excessively humid I scrub off some of the rust from the brake linings while pulling in first gear. But yeah, easy does it for the first few miles. She lets me know when she's ready.  Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:17:42 pm
Rick, my sixty five is a daily driver so
I kick it thur a couple of times w/ ignition off
then fire it up and gently ride off.
/
it she's been setting a couple of days, then I would
go for a brief warm up ( minute or two ) then gently
ride off.
/
I fully expect to rebuild mine at the twenty thou mark,
maybe sooner. I run 55, 65, 70+ mixing them up,
limiting my time on the upper end..
/
I figure i bought the bike to ride, and ride it I do,
she has a wonderful exhaust note at 70.
/
If she blows,, well I'll give Vince a fist full of dollars and
have him build one that I can lean on a little harder.
/
M

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 12:34:45 am
My 350 is more or less guaranteed to start first kick (from cold) if the choke is used. I start up with the choke and ride straight off. I get into 2nd gear and turn off the choke.  I get into 3rd gear at about 20 m.p.h. and hold that speed until I reach the end of the street (about 40 seconds) where there is a stop sign. At that point, the engine will always tick over and pull away again without faltering.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 02:53:11 am
My method: Start, idle till jug is too hot to keep a hand on, roll out slow for a few minutes or miles to warm up the transmission.  Ride slow and easy the last mile or two for cooling
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 03:43:22 am
I let Perla warm up for 2-4 minutes before I roll out of the garage and don't push her for about a mile, which is the distance from our house to the entrance of our subdivision.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 04:28:09 am
I let my VW's warm up for a while. My Enfield, one warm up lap, then WFO.  ;D ;D
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 05:58:18 am
It is always warm here and the air is heavy, so I'm a bit leery of letting it idle too long.  Maybe a minute at start up, then slowly go ahead.  I don't even let it idle when I'm opening the garage as by that time it is warm and if left setting, I think it gets too warm.  Moving humid air, I believe, is very good for cooling, but standing heavy air is very bad.  I think the transfer of heat to humid air is more efficient than drier air, but then, once warm, it acts like a blanket, taking up heat and holding it near the cylinder.  Could be wrong though, but I do know it gets pretty warm at idle, so I don't idle much.

Any physicists out there who can give a more definitive humid air answer?
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 06:36:10 am
Mine starts immediately I push the button, I keep a fast idle till it 8 strokes , push in the choke and ride it up the ramp out of the yacht club onto the road,-- > look to my right and see if alls clear then down the hill to Mustafas restraunt, round the round about and on passed the ferry terminal and Kentucky  fried chicken. By this time I will be in third and I have one hand on my oil cooler feeling the oil squish up my pipe.

Then under the trees and past Mc Donalds and Kenny Rodgers BBQ chicken this will be in top by then unless the police sto pme who usually hide in the tees stopping cars in the shade.

If not then a straight run into town and over the hump back bridge.

Then I get off it.

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 11:41:44 am
When started I paddle out of the garage, once garage door closes, off I go. First around the block by then the machine is ready. If, in winter I have to use the choke, it only stays on long enough for me to turn it off. Don't need extra fuel in an oil deprived cylinder.  ;)

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 08:24:43 pm
I roll the bike out of the garage, kick twice with the enricher on, then release the enricher, switch on the key, Kick it over, until it starts, then wait for it to Idle without the enricher, then ride off at a moderate speed of less than 35 mph for two or three miles.  I had one mechanic tell me that after the oil pressure is up, it is best let the engine warm up while in motion.  His logic was that varied engine speed was better for the oil to get splashed around.  Is there any empircal evidence that this is better......?  I don't know, however, I have over 25000 km on the clock and my bike has not seized up yet.

ianw

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 10:02:24 pm
Like Merrill I use my bike pretty much daily so of the opinion that it's well oiled still the next morning. So once it's started I zip my jacket put on my lid and gloves and off I go. Probably no more than 1 minute ticking over. Takes another minute or so to get out of the estate than I ride fairly steadily for the next mile or so.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 01:57:59 am
Right then I want another go seeing as though we are going crazy.

I start mine with a heater  placed in the intake. I always cover the bike for 24 hours with a horse blanket to avoid thermal shock on the intake track.

With spark plug removed to avoid unecessary compression on the dry cylinders I carefully kick it over not exeeding 50.5 RPM. When I am sure oil has reached the rockers and I am covered in sweat. I replace the spark plug.

I then run a round the car park with it to warm the wheel bearings.

After being sure the bike is now ready for the initial engine start I sit on the bike and make sure the mirrors are set for a perfect rear veiw in conjunction with the tyre pressure that I have chosen to use on that day. I have found that just 1 ilb of pressure variation can alter the ride hight by 0.002 mm.

By this time it is far too late to go anywhere so I cover it up again with the horse blanket.

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 03:01:56 am
  Bet it saves gas though.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 12:41:27 pm
i'm at the top of a big hill . i start mine with the enricher on run it about 30-60 seconds then start down the half mile hill with closed throttle around 1/10 mile i turn off the enricher (and make sure i opened the petcock)  I heard that turning down the throttle splashes oil all over the bottom of the piston.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 01:37:15 pm
Start the bike, get on the bike, engage gear and go.
Since modification I've found my engine reponds better after covering 8-10 miles so its always treated as if its running in until this distance has been covered to ensure its fully warmed up.
The only time I broke this rule I blew a head gasket - must be a lesson there somewhere.

ric
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

fdx

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 11:38:54 am
I cant start and wait 2 min... I have to push my bike out of estate and start it on main road. I just accelerate very slow and driving first 7km with 40-50km/h as a warming time.
I have Bullet in my head...

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 02:36:56 pm
I don't know if this is worth anything to us as RE drivers,but the folks I have known who got a lot of miles out of their trucks and delivery vans allowed a warm up to operating temp before moving.These were 600,000 to 1,000,000 mi. vehicles.Big difference in vehicles,I know,but still....Personally,I do about 5 minutes,ride like breaking in for a few miles.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 12:13:22 am
Redcat, Computerless and I do the same thing as Clamp does.Minus the horse blanket.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.