Author Topic: G5 reliability!  (Read 4352 times)

mark

• Scooter
on: August 14, 2009, 12:19:36 pm
Having had my G5 since last November,covering almost 4,000 miles would members on the forum consider it's reliability proven,or is too early and wait till 10,000 miles plus?

Since new I have had no problems with the bike at all....it just starts and goes.
It has never cut out at traffic or leaked oil.
A  bit boring for people who like tinkering with their machines.Although not me.

Perhaps the bike should be called Royal Enfield Bullet-Proof 500 EFI !  ;D
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:23:53 pm
Well, this is what we've all been hoping for.
I also think that T120Rbullet has had great reliability from his G5.
And Dannie(R80t) has put a few thousand miles on his C5, and it's also totally reliable.

This bodes well.

I certainly think that good reliability up to 4k miles means it is a reliable bike.
The only thing really after that, is the longevity issue.
And there's no reason to think that longevity won't be much improved too.

These are all good signs.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:28:55 pm
2300 miles, zero problems, I'd trust mine to go anywhere anytime. The Enfield Bullet Proof is a great name for them, I like it a lot  ;D  And I've seen the insides of a UCE engine and I don't think longevity will be anything to worry about, these engines are very well built.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:41:33 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:37 pm
2300 miles, zero problems, I'd trust mine to go anywhere anytime.
Good, we'll see ya in Steelville next month then.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:04:35 pm
Yeah I'll be there if nothing unforseen happens, I'm looking forward to meeting you.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 05:35:15 pm
As the guy who has read every warranty claim for the past 11 years we are happy thus far with the new engines. We still see the occasional loose connection etc. but overall so far things are good.
  I will reserve judgment until we start to see bikes with about 10,000 miles on them and from the way some of you are riding them it won't be too long.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:29:10 am
Hi all, just joined this forum from the land down under. My main concern prior to purchasing my new G5 (330km on the clock only) was an issue which arose on some of the lean burn (Electra) engines concerning the quality of the main bearings. It was generally agreed that some were worse than others resulting in failures after very short mileages were attained. Just hoping that some know ledgable person or persons can put my mind at ease as to whether the bottom end of the UCE engine is the same as the Electra or lean burn engine. ???

Cheers for now.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 03:11:01 pm
The bottom end bearings on the UCE engines are the same as they have ALWAYS been - big enough to use as dump truck rear wheel bearings. Early AVL engines had the unique problem of having some of the engine cases machined not so good, as they were machined "left and right" rather than as a whole. This created stress on the otherwise plentiful bearings and shredded a few of them. Most all of these failures were covered under warranty so the owners had no out of pocket expenses.

The UCE engines are state of the art machined as a unit, so everything is properly fitted and lines up with laser precision. There is also a completely new supplier of the cylindrical and ball bearing for the drive side of the crank, so the quality is even better. I've had a more than few of these engines apart doing the gearbox upgrade - you'd have to TRY to shred one. I fully believe that the engine could stand upwards of 60hp's with no bad effects on the bottom end. Go get yourself one and enjoy the best RE that's probably ever been made!   ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 11:24:02 pm
ScooterBob,

Thanks for that, I've already made the purchase, just wanting to put my mind at ease. I few little electrical glitches are not a problem, but as my enfield is an everyday user, it was the strength of the internals concerning me. Thanks again. Like a number of others on this forum my nearest dealer is about 7 hours away.

Cheers.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:46 pm
I've seen the internals of the UCE, it's done right.
Iron Butt Association

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 12:21:27 am
I've seen the internals of the UCE, it's done right.

Thanks for the info, by the way I'm in Queensland, Australia, same problems with distances between anywhere as over in the States.

Cheers