Author Topic: Roll Me Away... to a Meteor Shower  (Read 4481 times)

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
on: August 14, 2009, 03:11:33 am
So yesterday I found out that I could take today off... So I did.

Last night I am surfing the net, and go to google something and see the header indicating the meteor shower going on.

I got this crazy idea to take a midnight ride to nowhere, to find a place to watch.  

I get on the road at about midnight and head west from my town of South Beloit Illinois, towards the fields surrounding the farming communities of Durand and Pecatonica and Shirland and no major cities for 30 to 40 miles.

I ride around the back country roads criss crossing the countryside, in the moonlight stopping at a few cemeteries and old churches.

For about an hour or two I ride around looking for the perfect spot. Along the way I see a few flashes but it's hard to look up while riding.

I remember a little park off the beaten path, called Colored Sands.  I steer myself in that direction all the while hoping it will be deserted. I arrive to see that it's not only deserted but there were no tall quartz halogens to ruin my sky gazing.

I am greeted by a nice small paved parking area so I didn't have to dig my side stand board out of the ammo can, as I'd really rather use the center stand whenever possible. I set my bike on the center stand, and start looking up. I see some streaking above, but I need to lay down on my back and relax so my eyes can adjust. There is a picnic table nearby but it's on an odd angle and is uncomfortable, the ground is either; grass covered in cold dew, or paved concrete which is about as hard as a rock...

I then made the amazing discovery that the military bike makes a pretty damn good bed... for a motorcycle.

I sit on it backwards stuff my leather jacket under my head like a pillow, on the gauges, and put my feet up on the ammo cans and just relax, light up a nice cigar and start looking up.

As soon as I let my eyes adjust I begin see alot more.... long ones short ones bright ones, brighter ones, and then I see something really strange ???

I look west towards Iowa and I see flashing lights in the sky!

I remembered that before I left I checked the cloud cover all the way out to the Rockies and there were some storms out that way so this must be the tops of them lighting off sprites and what not. Wow was it beautiful, I had never seen sprites before!

After smoking a third of the cigar and doing some calisthenics to stay awake and limber, let me tell you I was thirsty!

I had forgotton to bring anything to drink, but it seemed as though things were just going my way last night. Upon searching the little park, I found a map of the paths to birdwatching sites, and a small triangular mark on the map indicating a hand pump well for drinking water just about 200 feet up the nearest path... It was some of the coolest most refreshing water I have ever tasted, just enough rusty mineral flavor, and just the right coolness.

I watched the storm move slowly east, blasting up long yellow sprites and streamers, the clouds lighting up below them. Sometimes just a little rumbling would make it's way to me, like a train off in the distance. And then a train off in the distance did go through somewhere miles away.

Some of the meteorites were so big and long that the went almost horizon to horizon and as they burned up in the atmosphere sometimes I could swear I heard a sizzling sound as they flew over my head.

After a few hours of this I was awful tired and getting to be a bit cold, so a little before dawn I packed up my camera, stowed the tripod on the back with a couple bungees, I ran through the usual cold start procedure, and started her up with one well timed kick.

I motored along eastward, slowly so I could react to all the little critters that might unwittingly ruin my near perfect night with their untimely and unintended suicide on the pavement. The big single thumping along very nicely, valves ticking like clockwork.

My endeavor to find water had brought me through some very damp grass and so the bottoms of my jeans were quite soaked and the 30 to 40mph I was making on the dark predawn back roads has chilled me quite thoroughly.  

As the twilight continued to fade and the reddish orange glow of dawn became the main attraction, I came upon a little spot  where I sometimes fish, called Coon Crick.

There fate smiled upon me once again.

I saw a most welcome sight, the light of a modest campfire. I pulled off to the right just before the bridge that crosses said creek and made a u turn to pull up behind  a car along side the site.  A group of young campers had sat out all night as well ,and as the remainder of their campfire dwindlind it's way down to embers, they invited me to stand with them and warm myself by their humble embers.

I only needed to linger for a few moments to start feeling warmer, and from the yawning girls and the groaning guys I could tell the campers were ready for their sleeping bags. So I thanked them for their hospitality and bid them farewell.

No cold start procedure necessary, I turned the key kicked once more and off I went into the reddening eastern sky that burned with the fury of the waking sun.

I arrived home as the reality of a new day crept into the windows of my neighborhood, as well as into those tedious souls who were obliged to go to work today. They were dutifully waking and pouring on the coffee, stretching and yawning themselves awake, whilst I who had seen God and Glory last night was yawning with the mournful knowledge that it was over and that I must give in to the 23rd hour of wakefulness, and stow myself away in my cabinet till the next time I can set my soul loose to see the wonders of the world on the back of an Enfield, in the middle of a field, for just a few short hours.

After a hot shower I climbed into my warm bed and promptly fell asleep.

Now, this evening I feel fuller and more content than in some time, for the freedom of staying up all night, on a Wednesday, alone is enough for some to feel young again. But the nights adventure and excitement and energy were far more than I had hoped for.

And yet I am somehow also melancholy, for last night in all it's splendor was only half a night, not because I started at midnight, but because I had no one to share it with. I was alone last night and even though man alone can do great things and see great things, these things are only half what they ought be when shared with a Trusted Brother or a Loving Companion.

(no pictures really turned out so I probably won't post any of them)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:45:34 am by sonofasonofasailor82 »
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 03:45:43 am
 ;D coOL ;D  I use to hang out by an airport in the olde days on my MC..  no one there..  it was a gravel pit on farm land with a dirt road to get there...  .

i finally got discovered by an AP security .. very nervous person..  when I said HellO on a full moon in a gravel pit while leaning against my bmw boxer watching the stars with no lights in the sky other than the planes.... and he recognized my voice...  at least 15 years passing

they finally closed off that road..... wonder if the gravel pit is still there

pretty heavy easy rider video to the music should you watch and listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KXaXY0diRY
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:52:10 am by Scotty_RE_DJ »

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 04:34:21 am
Fuggin Great Vid, but  it has some spoilers in it so

SPOILER ALERT  ON THE ABOVE POSTED VIDEO, WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:21:45 pm
Very nice reading about that experience you had, Frank.

Very good writing, too.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 01:38:13 pm
This c ame to mind right away, from kalil Gibran;

"The pain you feel is the breaking of the d the shell that encloses your understanding." 

I don't know if that may apply, or not.
Run what ya brung

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:49:53 pm
that sure beats political rants.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Ukuvox

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:49:02 pm

(no pictures really turned out so I probably won't post any of them)

No pictures are necessary after the one your story painted. Photos would seem anticlimactic... :)

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 07:58:08 pm
truth be told, the aliens wouldn't let me keep any of their ship and those were the ones that actually turned out... figures...LOL
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:57:13 am by sonofasonofasailor82 »

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 04:13:16 am
Br. Frank, your story merits a super-sized...

WOWZAA!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 05:11:22 am
Thanks Cabo!