Author Topic: Muffler opinions?  (Read 20039 times)

csbdr

• Bulleteer
on: August 13, 2009, 05:52:16 pm
I want to change out the muffler (not the header pipes..) on my C5.  It needs a little more "snort" from a freer flowing pipe.  You know..."off-road" only of course. I don't want to wait for the upswept jobbers any longer, and I think I will need to stick with a straight exhaust system due to wanting to keep small bags on my bike.

Any thoughts on what would fit and where to obtain?  thanks!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:08:26 pm
I don't  know what the outside diameter of the exhaust pipe is on the C5.

If it is the usual 1.75", then any typical 1.75" inlet-size Bullet muffler or Harley muffler will work.
You can also get copies of the old Brit mufflers in that size too, and if it is smaller, there are some size variations made to fit different size pipes too.

It's pretty wide-open in terms of selection.
You may have to make up your own mounting strut, if the bracket isn't a perfect match.

I think 1Blackwolf1 has a Dunstall copy that he's not using, and you might contact him about that.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 06:27:01 pm

A 1 3/4 muffler is a sloppy fit over the UCE exhaust pipe. I guess one could shim it and put a good clamp on to hold it on.
The stock exhaust pipe has a tab welded to it that holds the front of the heat shield down.
Looks kinda nasty with the heat shield off.
I'd like to get the long pipe short muffler combo that my iron bikes have. Not too loud and looks like it belongs there.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:44:06 pm

If it is the usual 1.75", then any typical 1.75" inlet-size Bullet muffler or Harley muffler will work.
You can also get copies of the old Brit mufflers in that size too, and if it is smaller, there are some size variations made to fit different size pipes too.

It's pretty wide-open in terms of selection.
You may have to make up your own mounting strut, if the bracket isn't a perfect match.

I think 1Blackwolf1 has a Dunstall copy that he's not using, and you might contact him about that.

Sorry guys that muffler was asked for by a buddy for his '72 Duck.  But that version muffler came with three reducers, would fit anything from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4".  Paid 48.00 for it on flea bay.  I put a cocktail shaker on wifeys Electra 65.00 delivered of flea-bay.  I'd recommend the cocktail shaker more if you want to retain the lines of the bike..brit sound.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Keith Cousins

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 07:25:01 pm
About this change of muffler - I'm a C5 owner in the UK and would look to change to something a little bit more throaty in the future .There is plenty of choice but my only concern is that the EFI has been setup for this factory fitted silencer .
Question - When changing the silencer do you have to consider an adjustment to the EFI system or do's it automatically compensate for the change ?

Cheers

Keith
Keith

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 07:39:58 pm
About this change of muffler - I'm a C5 owner in the UK and would look to change to something a little bit more throaty in the future .There is plenty of choice but my only concern is that the EFI has been setup for this factory fitted silencer .
Question - When changing the silencer do you have to consider an adjustment to the EFI system or do's it automatically compensate for the change ?

Cheers

Keith

Well don't take my word on it because I'm not a C5 owner - but it sounds logical enough.
A freer flowing exhaust has typically meant a richer mixture is needed. We typically rejetted (and possibly more - like throttle slide) to accomodate this. I would think the EFI would best be remapped to the richer mixture.

That is unless you get a really wimpy pipe that isn't enough to warrant a richer mixture...but then, why?

Matt

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:24:04 pm
According to RE you can change the exhaust on the UCE bikes without re-mapping, that's a good thing  ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:14:48 pm
"According to RE you can change the exhaust on the UCE bikes without re-mapping, that's a good thing"  ;D

Br. Dannie is correct!  I've been corresponding with Br. Scoot (ScooterBob) on this an other C5-related matters via PMs.  I am going to PM him (with a link to this thread) and ask him to share his comments directly with you (et al).
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:25:50 pm
If the upswept exhaust, or a long pipe short muffler ever gets on the market I'll get one. Until then I'll go a different route with a universal muffler if it wont void my warranty, I'll have to find out about that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:50:14 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 01:29:59 am
Don't be afraid of a smaller muffler diameter. I put an 60's BSA muffler on the stock RE header. A little trip to a muffler shop and with a piece scrap the tech there made an adapter. It's short and works perfectly. Cost me a fiver.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 05:12:09 am
I confirmed with my dealer that a. there's np capability to remap with this ecu and b. that the sensors should pick up the differences from switching the pipe and compensate accordingly.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 12:58:10 am
so you guys are saying that i could put on a classic style torpedo silencer, get some extra horsepower out of it,  and have nothing else left to do but adjust the chain and polish the chrome? no powerbox or anything like that? GOOD DIGGITY AWESOMESAUCE! ;D

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 01:00:31 am
Yeah, it's good ain't it?
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 03:23:24 am
 I can't lay my hands on the info this minute but I swear I remember reading that the factory insisted that the EFI had to work with out trouble from sea level up to the highest Himalayan mountain pass.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 03:58:00 am
 I read that too Ice, but I can't remember where.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:53:36 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association