Author Topic: My bike hangs up in second gear  (Read 2794 times)

dhanisch

• Scooter
  • Long timer
on: August 12, 2009, 06:19:07 pm
Just got an 09 Bullet and I love it.  EXCEPT  On occasion(read daily) the shift lever will stick at the top of its travel when shifting into second.  Repeated twiddling, downshifting, etc will eventually cure the problem but not permanently.  I have adjusted the clutch lever and cables and thought that took care of the problem.  Took the bike for repeated rides and it was fine.  Then this morning, the gremlin reared its ugly head again.  it is a long haul to my dealer, so any input would be appreciated.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:03:07 pm
You have a different animal, so I'll go out on a limb.

These gear boxes tend to be clunky first 1000 miles. There is a learning curve and the gears do get smoother.(AVL, Iron head)

However you may need to at lest give your dealer a call, to verify if the uce pesky tranny problems have been resolved with your bike.

How far is your dealer?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

dhanisch

• Scooter
  • Long timer
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:26 pm
I dig the learning curve.  First bike was a G80 Matchless.  This is weird because the thing will shift great then for no apparant reason get a bug up its --s.  Tried shifting gently, not so gently, cussed, spoke nicely, invoked the gods, etc.  Local dealer was reserved, just said bring it up.  Probably a hundred miles.  No biggee.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:45:32 pm
Still have the Matchless?

I live approx 700 miles (1200 km) from my dealer.
All maintenance is on me and an occasional call to my dealer to clarify oddities.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:39:33 pm
I think it's just a matter of you learning how to shift it correctly (or the bike training you how it likes to be shifted).
Mine will hang in between gears when I downshift unless I make a conscious effort to do it correctly.
It's getting much better as the miles go up or I am getting better at shifting it the way it wants to be shifted.
Aside from the clutch there are no adjustments in the gearbox so it's going to be the way it is.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

dhanisch

• Scooter
  • Long timer
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:46:45 pm
Bike only has 90 miles on it at this point so that may well be the case, we shall see.  The Matchless is long gone.  Abandoned in Juarez by a buddy i loaned it to when I went across the pond.  Then there was the 6T Triumph, a 305 scrambler, a 51 panhead,  an AJS 650 twin, various and sundry xs 650's , SR500's, /5 beemers, and a couple of RoadStars.  Right now I'm down to a Roadstar and the RE.  Would happily swap the Roadstar for something a bit lighter.