Author Topic: Right Hand Shift Transmisison Newbie Question  (Read 5312 times)

Gearhead

• Scooter
  • You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid
on: October 25, 2007, 03:40:36 am
I am a newbie. I have a 1999 4 speed. I like the idea of a right hand shift bike, I see this transmission on sale at www.royalenfieldusa.com , at this link
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/4speed-transmission-complete-with-clutch-pi-7213.html?image=0It says it is a right hand shift transmission. Is it all I would need, or is there more to it than meets the eye? I posted this same question in the campfire section and know that most boards don't like more than one post. Any advice about where it fits the best?
Gearhead

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:04:33 am
uh I seem to be lost.. deju vu... 

Gearhead

• Scooter
  • You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:44:30 am
Oh Oh, I definitely over posted this question. I will write to the moderator and beg forgiveness, thanks for all of the help on my other boringly similar posts.
Gearhead

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 01:55:29 pm
I just got a RH shift conversion for my 95 4-Speed Bobber project.  I will post more when I get around to installing it!
Geichal

Trapper

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 05:01:26 pm
I installed the right hand conversion kit that REUSA sells. It was very straight forward to install, but I would recommend getting familiar with Snidel's book before installing it. The bike was meant to be right hand shift - it really works flawlessly now! No missed shifts, a firm gear shift feel - I would recommend this to anyone.

I switched to gear lube at the same time by venting the gear box and changing the outboard mainshaft bearing to a sealed type. I am using 70w90 synthetic and this also improved the feel (and reduced the noise) of the gear box.

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:02:57 pm
+1 on the RHS conversion.  That "Continental" linkage setup is a Rube Goldberg nightmare!

I first tried the DRS bushing setup, and it was an improvement. But, as my father used to say "You can't polish a terd".

Once I converted back to the way God and Queen intended the bike to be - it was like a religious awakening. Holy crap! this thing actually WORKS! It was a beautiful thing. That is, for the 2 weeks I rode it that way before I got dinged by a hit-and-run driver on my Bajaj and messed up my right ankle, losing the range of motion needed to downshift  >:(
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling