Author Topic: Solenoid Option. What Do U Think?  (Read 3941 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: August 10, 2009, 02:46:31 pm
While I'm waiting on CMW to tell me if they stock OEM solenoids (I can't find them in the online catalog...) I was looking around the Web for some generic ones.

I found plenty and can always go to one of those if CMW doesn't stock them. The big brands like Accel and Dennis Kirk even sell Solenoid repair kits for their units. That might be a good option - to buy the repair kit with the solenoid and just shelve it until if/when its needed.

Anyway, there is a real neat option over at Dennis Kirk at:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=208954&store=Main&catId=&productId=p208954&leafCatId=&mmyId=

It's a manual start lever:
Won't break cause it's manual. It is, however, very expensive compared to regular solenoids.

What do you guys think? Is it an RE option? I figure, technically, it'll work (although I'm not 100% certain) but is it practical? Do you see problems?

Thanks for your input!
Matt

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:11:49 pm
How about this Lucas solenoid from a Jag XKE?
Pretty cheap, and has a rubber-covered manual starter button right on it too.
Can be operated electrically or manually with push button.

https://secure.simplepart.com/products/Jaguar/1962/E-Type/SOLENOID--STARTER--WITH-REMOTE-START-BUTTON--E-TYPE-38L-1961-1964--MGA--SPM--TR3--TR4--AH-/3568714/12622/546-020.html

Just 22 bucks.

This type of thing was very common on the old Brit cars, so you could operate the starter while you were under the hood.
It's period, and it's British, and it has the right features, and it's cheap.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:23:01 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:15:44 pm
I have found that e-mail to the store is as slow as mailing a letter through the post office.  CALL THE STORE.
 I got a new / improved solenoid for my AVL, so I know they have them somewhere around there.
Run what ya brung

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:21:41 pm
I have found that e-mail to the store is as slow as mailing a letter through the post office.  CALL THE STORE.
 I got a new / improved solenoid for my AVL, so I know they have them somewhere around there.

Yeah, well you're the main reason why I'm where I am - thanks to your accurate advice! RAGM$$! SKAGM%%!$

If they don't respond eventually I guess I'll call.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 03:23:04 pm
How about this Lucas solenoid from a Jag XKE?
Pretty cheap, and has a rubber-covered manual starter button right on it too.
Can be operated electrically or manually with push button.

https://secure.simplepart.com/products/Jaguar/1962/E-Type/SOLENOID--STARTER--WITH-REMOTE-START-BUTTON--E-TYPE-38L-1961-1964--MGA--SPM--TR3--TR4--AH-/3568714/12622/546-020.html

Just 22 bucks.

Great, just what I need - more options to choose from.

Anyway, it does look pretty neat and unique!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:29:45 am
I'm on the edge of my seat.  Drama... anxiety,,, anticipation...
let us know what you decide ASAP!
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 05:50:23 am
I vote $22 Jag unit.. Just too cool. ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 02:42:44 pm
Yes, I'm a gutless wonder. CMW let me know the part number (Z91394) so I just went ahead and got a stock one!

Guess we can shut this thread down!

Matt

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:14:33 pm
To quote Dear Abby;  Not so fast Buster!

If it's the same one I got, you can post lots of pictures of your custom installation.
(I think the holes are wider apart)
Run what ya brung

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 03:12:04 am
i experienced the same problem some time back in spring.. so far have not ridden a single mile..

all this extra time has allowed me ample opportunity  to change things a bit...  think I've spent around $$$ at least that much..  here ..  recently  ..for eye candy. as well as for performance sake ..  my  NeW solenoid is on the right side butt side out..  stay tuned for pictures as I borrow my wifes camera and she shows me waht to do

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 03:25:09 pm
Doesn't Uncle Ernie highly recommend the OEM solenoid? I thought I read that somewhere. I am thinking of ordering the OEM solenoid, along with the aluminum tank because they work so well for Uncle E.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 06:56:30 pm
These open displays of jealousy really should stop. 
You want to be me, don't you...

You know, I really think a man of your stature and standing in the commuity really deserves an aluminium tank and stock solenoid.  It just doesn't make sense that you would deprive yourself of the little things that add so much to an otherwise mundane life.  In fact- just to get you started, I have some Avon tires I'll GIVE you.  They really complement the look, and they handle just as well as... and they're round and black and everything!   I'll leave them on the front porch.  That way, one night when you're doing one of your drive-bys, you can just get out and pick them up. 
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 09:42:33 pm
These open displays of jealousy really should stop. 
You want to be me, don't you...

You know, I really think a man of your stature and standing in the commuity really deserves an aluminium tank and stock solenoid.  It just doesn't make sense that you would deprive yourself of the little things that add so much to an otherwise mundane life.  In fact- just to get you started, I have some Avon tires I'll GIVE you.  They really complement the look, and they handle just as well as... and they're round and black and everything!   I'll leave them on the front porch.  That way, one night when you're doing one of your drive-bys, you can just get out and pick them up. 

You'll put the dog up won't you? last time I tried to see what changes you were making the dog chased me from the garage. ;D
I am sure you are sincere in recommending these upgrades, as I can't imagine the tank and solenoid having problems. I am sure they have a fine warranty. ::)
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 09:48:35 pm
How about a solenoid with a long enough throw that one could hook it up to the kick start lever and not need the rest of that garbage?  Push a button, the solenoid kicks in, the lever goes down, bike starts - simple! :D
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 07:20:10 am
Those solenoids where ubiquitous in the Brit cars not only the Jags.

Yet I am beside myself with wonder at USA. I can walk across the road and buy a solenoid from the bike shop ?? cant you.

There are --lets see 5 motorcycle shops down my road of 1 Km each and every one will have a small solenoid.

Ive seen them on ebay.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member