Author Topic: Campfire talk  (Read 17247 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 03:20:49 am
Boxing gloves

;D

Awsome....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 05:33:33 am
Hey, how 'bout a food fight?  :D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Buford

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 12:01:35 pm
Quote from: clamp
If you were right then we should stop TV ,---video games.

Your not a member of the Taliban are you? shall we hang Tv's in the tree?

Yes, Yes, No and Yes

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 05:19:52 pm
Hey, how 'bout a food fight?  :D

Depends on what we're using.  Spam would be good.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 01:07:59 am
Thids place is nothing if not tame compared to the LvC (lincolns vs cadillacs) politics and current events section...

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

If you wanna see some real assholes read how they treat people with opposing views in there... Guys named shagdrum, fossten, monster mark, and calabrio, all constantly demean anyone who opposes them. It sucks because the all lean pretty conservative and it paints a rough picture of conservatives.

It is entertaining though.

Perhaps we could separate the two concepts like they do, they have an Anything Goes section like our Campfire section, and a Politics and Current events section. That would keep it separate but still allow us to voice our opinions to our friends.

Just a thought...
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 03:28:04 am
I don't think a boxing ring is appropriate, and we are leaving the point.

The point is it is suggested that I am  to be  told what not to talk about , how we talk about it is another aspect and relies on the  individual.

Consequence of actions  of what we say or do is a part of life.  Remove that and we are no more than a farmed chicken.

Being rude is unnecessary and actually shows lack of skill in communication. experience in this will improve matters.

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 03:33:08 am
Depends on what we're using.  Spam would be good.  Will.

Yes, Br. Will, Spam would be an excellent choice!!!  :D :D :D

Papa Juan

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 05:25:18 pm
I would like to ban the political stuff as nothing good ever comes of it but am a bit reluctant to start down that road. On the other hand that is where all of the trouble starts......... What say you?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 06:08:13 pm
     Kevin, I have to agree with Clamp. Campfire Talk is a freewheeling discussion much different than the rest of the forum. As with every other section you are free to follow, ignore or participate. I think it ads spice to what otherwise would be a relatively dry forum. Sometimes people are offensive, sometimes people take offense. However one "feels" about any particular discussion, these discussions cement our relationship as U.S. citizens. We are united by a philosophy that is embodied in our bill of rights.
      The question about this is : How do YOU feel about it? Despite  the 1st amendment, this is YOUR forum. It is not public in the way a town meeting is. I have come to know you as a pretty reasonable and fair guy. So far I, at least, have concurred with your decision(s) to delete or stop certain threads that have gone too far. But do you want to end all of these kinds of discussions? I know that you have enjoyed and participated in some.
     In this light I'm not sure a poll is appropriate or needed, But if you are soliciting opinions, mine is to continue on as we have been. This group is always in flux. People come and go for a variety of reasons. I have had people here, and at my store, take offense at me for the way I presented a  solution to a mechanical problem. Some controversy is natural to the human condition. I think Campfire helps keep it from spilling over to other areas.
     I would encourage all who choose to participate to act in a more dignified manner. An attacks is inappropriate, but so is inferring an attack merely because you are not agreed with. Both sides need to not be so serious or take things so personally. Will these things occur? All the time. We are human, after all.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 06:41:39 pm
I could live with, or without, Campfire Talk.

Campfire Talk is not why I come to this website. But, I do participate if there's nothing for me to post on the tech threads.

I spend plenty of time on other political websites, and get my fill of arguments in those places. I'm practiced at it, know the issues, and can present a case, without having a myocardial infarction over it.

The rule for those types of forums is the old adage, "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen".

That said, if Campfire Talk went away tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it.
But, some people are active mostly in Campfire Talk, and they may like that part of the site the best.

Me, I don't care one way or the other.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 08:33:25 pm
I would like to ban the political stuff as nothing good ever comes of it but am a bit reluctant to start down that road. On the other hand that is where all of the trouble starts......... What say you?
I used to think otherwise, but now I wouldn't miss it in the slightest if it was banned.  I participate a little, but mostly only to tip the scales a little.  I know I'm not likely to convince anyone to change their mind about politics/religion, and they're unlikely to convince me to change my mind either.  I agree that one simply has to avoid reading the topics, but I admit I find it hard because I often use the "view the most recent posts on the forum" feature.  It's a good way to catch all the recent posts and avoid missing something you might be interested in or want to participate in.  It also makes it hard to miss topics that might get you riled up, so it's a double edged sword.

If I want to talk politics or religion, I can engage people at one of my neighborhood pubs or coffee shops and have a much greater chance that no gets misunderstood or gets offended, since we're talking face to face.  There's plenty to talk about without pushing each others hot buttons.

Eamon
Eamon

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 09:25:23 pm
 I have no problem with Campfire Talk.
I would like to see a bit more discussion on other topics though.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 02:19:35 am
Talking face to face will always deter the speaker from really letting out his opinion.

I dont think anyone thinks they will change someones point of view-but you will never know.
   And is it about that? is it not just interesting how others think and from this a yard stick can be offered to your own way of thinking.

It may not change your mind but it may soften your stance on a subject that you were adamant about until you realized you were the only one who thought that way.

I am from a Northern town in England I was always told that a spade is a spade and bloody well say so.   Not telling how you think was a terrible social crime, and you were considered a less of a man for doing so.

To be honest --this blatent honesty was thought to stop fights rather than encourage them.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 04:42:46 am
Br. Kevin, having choices is very important to all individuals, as you well know.  I am, nonetheless, indifferent about having the option of discussing politics and religion in Campfire Talk.  My position is based on the fact that I chose to stop making comments on these two subjects several months ago.  I log into our forum to read about and respond to all Bullet-related matters and not at all about the unsuccessful and interminable political or religious debates.  Your final decision may very well be to keep Campfire Talk open to all subjects for those who wish to actively participate in all the subjects.

Having said all this and respecting the opinions of others, I will, in my particular case, continue a) to participate in or b) to ignore the the topics of my choosing.  Lastly, I thank you for asking for our opinions -- our choices! 

Papa Juan

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 06:13:28 am
I appreciate that it is in fact my forum, but it is our community. I enjoy the area myself, but the political stuff has gotten a bit un-civil lately. Maybe if we were a wee bit more careful.....
As I anounced earlier I am going to start eliminating old threads to make some space, so maybe we can agree to play nice. We have done a wonderful job of that for the most part.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com