Author Topic: 2100 mile report  (Read 8023 times)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 01:59:43 pm
Just A thought  :-\ I presume the 'sports' type silencer contains it's own CAT?? If it's straight through it won't be road legal (at least in UK - but I guess you could keep it on for 3 years & swap it over before your first mot ;D)

If straight through silencer, will the efi brain & sensors handle this ok, or do you need some re-programming?

You guys could find your main tinkering gets done via a laptop  ;)
Cheers
Nick

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 02:19:38 pm
From what Kevin posted a while back, it seems that there is enough flexibility built into the ECU to handle having a non-cat low-restriction muffler on the bike.

As for the MOT inspection thing, I suppose the original muffler with cat will need to be kept, and put on for inspection purposes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 03:05:04 pm
So far as the Clubman model goes though, Watsonian must have a legal obligation to sell it conforming to regulations. They're not selling it for off road use only. (And there will be no "original" silencer to switch for the MOT.) Now if only I could get my hands on one I could let you know. ;)

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 03:23:01 pm
I think I am going to put on a Goldstar type muffler.  I like the upswept as well, but need bags to commute on the bike.  It'd look dopey with a bag on just one side.

Does anyone know if there is an appropriate K&N or similar air filter for the C5?

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 10:14:53 pm
So far as the Clubman model goes though, Watsonian must have a legal obligation to sell it conforming to regulations. They're not selling it for off road use only. (And there will be no "original" silencer to switch for the MOT.) Now if only I could get my hands on one I could let you know. ;)
That's a good point. I saw the shorty silencer at the Watsonian open day fitted to the trail model, it wasn't available for other models at the time. I asked if it had a cat and they said no so presumably they can legally sell new trail bikes fitted with it. Maybe RE have built a big margin into the emission performance of the UCE, still begs the question if Watsonian can sell non cat bikes why are RE shipping cat versions to the UK?

Apparently just slipping on existing aftermarket exhausts (designed for AVL & IB engines) doesn't work very well. I 'd like to see it for myself though.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 03:37:44 am
Well I got tired of waiting on the upswept exhaust to become available. J.C. Whitney has a sale going on a extra long fishtail like I had on my '40 BSA, I like the look and the sound of it so I ordered one today.  What do you think ?  http://www.jcwhitney.com/CHROME-PLATED-EXTRA-LONG-SEAMLESS-DESIGN-FISHTAIL-MUFFLER/GP_2006473_N_111+10211+600014681_10111.jcw
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:40:15 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 09:24:43 pm
After much consideration, I can't make myself put a fishtail on this bike. I'll be a good boy and wait on the proper exhaust from RE. I hope they hurry!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 04:53:52 am
Br. Dannie, you made a very good choice...

"After much consideration, I can't make myself put a fishtail on this bike." r80rt 

;)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla