Author Topic: Nitrogen Filled Tyres  (Read 5978 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
on: August 13, 2009, 09:33:15 pm
I have just heard about an option to have your tyres filled with nitrogen as opposed to compresed air, mainly for tuebless, but I suppose rthe principle still holds for tubed tyres.
Police forces (UK) have found that 73% of tyres checked had incorrect pressures.
Nitrogen tyres maintain pressure more efficiently and for longer than tyres filled with air.
Apparantly oxygen and water vapour contained in compressed air permeate through the tyre structure, resulting in a decrease in pressure. Nitrogen contains minimal ammounts of both oxygen and water vapour and therfore tyres remain at correct pressure for longer.
Increase tyre life up to 25%
Improved road holding
increase fuel economy by upto 5%
Formula 1 (racing cars) have used nitrogen for 20 years
The moon buggy used nitrogen back in 1969,
and nitrogen tyre inflation is mandatory in the airline industry

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:29:38 pm
Sounds interesting, especially the longer tire life. I've no idea where I would find it though.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:31:41 am
Any welding supply or bottled gas supply company in the city nearest you should have it or be able to get it for you.  A regulator and the appropriate hose and fitting and you in like flynn.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:36:50 am
There's a Ford dealer in my town does this, it is not cheap. I would think you'd need to find out how nitrogen may effect an inner tube. Rubber is not all alike. I'd been told the reason for holding correct pressure is due to molecular size. That may or may not have been BS.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 01:47:45 am
I thik I'll just stick with air, I know how it works!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 02:35:10 am
FWIW
 Nitrogen was specified for all the aircraft tires with inner tubes that I serviced once upon a time. More consistent tire shape through out the temperature range.

A local automotive tire chain vendor nitrogen fills all the tire installs they do.

Nitrogen was the specified first choice gas for the KYB gas forks on my old Suzuki GS 1000E.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 02:49:17 am
Air is already 78% nitrogen as it is.

There's 21% oxygen, and1% trace gases.

So, while there's a small benefit in less permeation of nitrogen out thru the rubber, which BTW is very minor, even with oxygen, it amounts to less than 2 psi per month. Often quite a bit less than that.
The issue with moisture is primarily involving tubeless tires and the corrosive effect of the moisture and oxygen on the rims. This isn't an issue at all with tube type tires such as we have.

To me, the very small advantages that can be had from this, are far more than offset by being able to stop at a gas station and set your tire pressures at the air pump, or do it at home, instead of going to a special shop and paying to have your tire pressures set.

The increased tire wear comes from lowered pressure. If you check and set your air pressures once a month or so, you won't have reduced pressures, and the tire wear situation becomes moot.
A simple foot pump or hand pump at home can accomplish this very easily and cheaply.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:52:10 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:14:45 am
To me, the very small advantages that can be had from this, are far more than offset by being able to stop at a gas station and set your tire pressures at the air pump, or do it at home, instead of going to a special shop and paying to have your tire pressures set.

The increased tire wear comes from lowered pressure. If you check and set your air pressures once a month or so, you won't have reduced pressures, and the tire wear situation becomes moot.
A simple foot pump or hand pump at home can accomplish this very easily and cheaply.

I used nitrogen once, and won't do it again, for these reasons.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:53:12 am
I've had a air compressor in my garage for years and check tire pressure every week or two.
BTW, the Apollo Lunar Roving Vehicle had "tires" made of tire shaped wire mesh. Solid or pneumatic tires were too heavy.
2002 Bullet ES

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 03:55:50 am
If I can get nitrogen for 75 cents a tire ( initial fill from flat empty ) or preferably free, I will use it "just because".  You can still add air to correct for permeation induced pressure drops.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 09:54:51 am
I've noticed, over the years, that tires lose pressure after cold fronts. When the winds swing back from the South with rising temps, the tires don't rise to the level prior to the cold front, but do rise some. Where I live this is a normal winter.

emskee

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 05:08:08 pm
Drain the water from the tank of your compressor once in a while.  If you use a hand/foot/non reservoir compressor then chill.

Check and re inflate your tires more often than not.

All will be well.

Selling nitrogen for tire inflation is a business not a solution. 
1998 Harley Davidson XLH1200 (Gone)
2001 Victory Standard Cruiser (Gone)
2004 Victory Vegas (My buddy Danny has her)
2005 Ural Gear Up (Gone, With good people)
2009 C5 (Gave it back)
2010 C5 (Still at home)
2010 Ural Taiga (Ditto)

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 08:30:17 pm
I tried the helium option but have found that Entinox (50% Nitrous Oxide / 50% Oxygen)makes me feel so much more relaxed and doesn't affect my vocal range quiet so much.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 09:17:02 pm
At 65 MPG on my RE, if I switched to nitrogen, then after 50 years where would I spend all that money I saved on tires and in gas-savings? Oh, that's right, I already spent that $2.50 saved after 50 years on the cost of nitrogen..silly me.