Author Topic: Don't feed Bears, ever....  (Read 3614 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
on: August 11, 2009, 04:42:12 pm
Here you go,  another person falling victim to the belief that animals are sweet and cuddly.  

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/20348401/detail.html

This story kinda bothers me as my brother and his family lives next to a wilderness area and bears go through his trash if he leaves the garage open.

Its very sad.  

The story reminds me of a lady that turned up missing after Katrina.   She had stayed in Jefferson Parrish, despite being told to evacuate,  because the animals would need her help after the storm.   They never found her body.

God bless her,

Let us remember that critters are meant for eating, and if it can eat you they are meant for shooting.  
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:02:02 pm
Some campers were visiting a remote park, and encountered the Park Ranger as they entered.
He warned them about the bears.
He said there were black bears and grizzly bears in the park, and to watch out for them.

The campers didn't know how to tell one bear from another, so the Ranger explained that they could tell if there were black bears in the area by the droppings on the ground, which usually had berries in it.
He told them that they could use pepper spray to ward them off, if they had an encounter.

Then the campers asked, "How do we tell if grizzly bears are in the area?"
The ranger explained that there would probably be bear droppings on the ground from them too.
The campers inquired,  "How can we recognize the grizzly bear droppings?"

The ranger replied, "Grizzly bear droppings have bone fragments in it, and usually smell like pepper spray".
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:42:50 pm
Always remember the "Buddy System".
You don't have to outrun a bear, as long as you can outrun your buddy.
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:47:50 am
Sad story.
I met a man who fed the local chipmunks. All was well until he tried to pet one.
The chipmunk opened his index finger from the second knuckle to the base of the thumb requiring numerous stitches and shots for infections.

Let both examples serve as a reminder that wildlife is indeed wild as well as unpredictable and should be enjoyed at a safe distance.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:43:51 am
I just got back from a 2 week visit with my son in Wyoming. Every time we'd leave to go hiking or fishing he would strap on his 44 for the grizzlies. Just couldn't quite get used to that coming from Illinois.
                        - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:54 pm
Sure hope your son is a very good shot with a pistol. A griz will get really mad if the first shot isn't really good.

thestewart

• Scooter
  • I got nothin'
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:59:35 pm
Wow, I'm surprised it took ten years of feedings for them to get her. Very sad. Sounds like a classic case of anthropomorphizing the wildlife- treating the small cub like a bullied kid in a school yard. Reminds me of the Grizzly Man documentary.

I did see a sign once in the Canadian Rockies that warned against hiking down into a particular river valley in the late fall unless you were in a group of six or more, and no one from the group should be spaced more than 3 meters from anyone else. Yikes- needless to say, I missed that river.  A month or so prior and nearby, a woman who was jogging with friends up a trail with similar warnings, was pulled from a tree by a bear. Her friends ran, and she climbed. It's a tough call though- we can't stop using trails because a bear is around, but, you takes your chances. Now I'm just rambling.....

2008 Bullet Classic- Iron
My other bike's an Ironhead. It's like working on the Enfield twice.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 07:44:10 pm
In the old days, I'd get to fly up to Kodiak Island during salmon season a couple times a year...

We were very carefully briefed that if we saw any of the big browns around, FIND ANOTHER RIVER...

Gotta admit, we'd hunker down and watch them fish - but any bears at less than a football field away signalled an urgent exit... those things can move FAST !

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 12:13:03 am
Garbone I hope the animal rights people don't read what you wrote and get your address.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.