Author Topic: Should I buy a royal Enfield?  (Read 5288 times)

ProdigalBiker

• Scooter
on: August 07, 2009, 06:09:19 pm
I do not have the $. . .yet, but am thinking. . .

I am a 55 year old female ex motorcyclist. I got into MC decades ago because keeping one running is cheaper than a four wheeler. I liked it and rode for many years until I had a couple of real lemons, and left.

I am more wealthy now than I ever have been. I am thinking about getting back on two wheels. But during my long hiatus I considered why I had left MC for good so long ago, and realized that it was not only two specific lemon UJMs. . .

My best bike was not the Gold Wing not the CB 750 F DOHC. My favourite was the old CB350G. After that the very nature of my bikes changed. they got heavy and complex and I could not turn a wrench on them. the costs went way up, and I found that no longer could I figure that with a bike and five dollars and a warm afternoon, that I would have a good time.

I thought that if ever i would go biking again, the bike would have to meet at least most of these specifications:

1. Not Japanese. I do not like the buy it and pay us a lot of money to maintain it philosophy.
2. No radiators!
3. No ABS
4. No EFI
5. Two cyls maximum
6. About 400lbs (above that and parking lots and narrow roads and a simple fifty foot push becone issues.
7. I want a kick starter, alone or in addition to electric
8. I want one that I can wrench myself - even if it takes a lot of it.
9. I want to see daylight through it!
10. Stable (no wobbles) handling.

Not many bikes meet these criteria! As for recent ones it seems that the field is fairly much the RE Bullet and the Buell blast. I am attracted to the Bullet. But. . .

I would actually ride the thing. I would not mind frequent maintenance, but do not want unplanned roadside stops if I have so maintained it. and I do not need a bike that will in any case be worn out in 20K miles. . .as I plan to ride as much as possible so to drive as little as possible. a decent mileage between rebuilds and parts availability when that happens is necessary.

I do not need:
1. comfort, if that was my need I would be thinking of a used Kia.
2. Performance: a 65MPH cruise will suffice
3. Ego trips. . .I am old and oogly anyway
4. Long maintenance intervals - so long as I can do them.

I will probably buy used. I have read of parts availability issues with the AVL, i have read of potential seizures with iron cylinders, I have read of high capacity oil pumps. . . would an iron cyl bike with 535cc aluminum cyl and high capacity oil pump be a good idea? If not, is there a good RE idea?

I live in northern Arizona, so the temps here are nto too bad (7000'MSL) but state is vertical. . .what about desert heat and major elevation changes? Mikuni CV carb?

Is there potential for me here, or should I look at something else?

Thank you!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:23:56 pm
Sounds like you could get an RE and jump back in to riding were you left off.

I have an AVL Classic, I think you can still find some new ones around .It meets your lists off requirements. I normally cruise 55-60mph .

If you didn't mind EFI, the new UCE bike would be something to consider. For me , the EFI is not a deal breaker. RE made the EFI as simple as possible to allow the owner to maintain his MC----my thoughts.

I wish I had Billy Joels income, so I could own several myself.

So yes, buy an RE, go look at one if you can, this forum  is full of real experience to help make your mind.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:26:19 pm
Prodigal -

I'm a '07 iron-lung Classic owner.  Haven't had any serious problems with mine in 3+ seasons and 8500 miles (until I broke the starter clutch yesterday).  Great fun - requires attention, but IT CAN'T CRUISE AT 65MPH.

The only RE's that meets your criteria for cruising speed are the new unit construction bikes.  Check the forum under that category to see what the owners are saying.  They've only been in the US since January, but seem to get a "thumbs up" from their owners.  The G5 models have the new engine in an older frame but with disc brake and the low maintenance engine... (has EFI, though).

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:42:14 pm
Iwill probably buy used. I have read of parts availability issues with the AVL, i have read of potential seizures with iron cylinders, I have read of high capacity oil pumps. . . would an iron cyl bike with 535cc aluminum cyl and high capacity oil pump be a good idea? If not, is there a good RE idea?

You can do a lot to pump up the performance of an iron barrel Bullet, including fitting an alloy finned barrel for not a lot of money. But I would recommend that any heavily upgraded (big bore) bike starts off the process with the fitting of a high grade roller big end crank. That unfortunately is the most expensive bit. With a roller big end you don't have to worry so much about fitting high capacity oil pumps, which some people think just equate to undesirably high loadings of the oil pump drive. The AVL motor comes with a tougher roller big end as standard.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:15:13 pm
As much as I would like to say yes, I think your criteria says no.
At least, not the older models. The newest models could be in consideration.

Your closest RE option would be the new G5 model,which has the new UCE engine and a kick-starter, but it has fuel-injection which knocks it off the list.
It would meet all the other criteria, except the fuel injection.

The old Iron-Barrel Bullets are not like Hondas, and you cannot be certain that it won't be in need of a roadside stop for minor repair. And it may not last more than 20k miles between rebuilds. And it is an antique design which does not lend itself to long trips on highways without any concern of having problems.
The old Bullet is for fun riding within a few hours of home, on back roads, and with 55mph speed limits. No superhighways, no real long trips unless you go on back roads. It's a fun bike for back road enjoyment, and not an interstate touring bike.

So, realistically, I'd say that if you can cave-in on the fuel-injection issue, then the Royal Enfield G5 model would probably fit the bill.
And the C5 model is a more "retro looking"(very pretty) version of it, but they deleted the kick starter on the C5, so that would be another issue you'd have to cave on, if you wanted the C5.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:19:42 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 09:28:52 pm
I wonder if you can take the EFI and pump off a UCE and run it that way..  I think they do in India.

A bit of research says yes..  They sell a UCE 350 with carb in India,,

http://www.royalenfield.com/Motorcycles/thunderbirdtwinspark/technicalspec.aspx
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:35:29 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:37:12 pm
Wonder if you could trick the computer to accept a carb but still operate the ignition system correctly...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:53:06 pm
I would love F I on my bike, all around much better than a Micarb.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:25:11 pm
Buy a good iron one you won't regret it.There's 4 of them in the town where I am haven't had problems with any.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ProdigalBiker

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:56:45 pm
Thank you all for the information, I will continue to watch this thread, and read others as I save money for whatever i get.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 03:21:06 am
I was reading your post and thnking good used BMW R65 or R80- but they won't have a kick-start.   For real vintrage and reliable but fairly easy to work on, a 60's era R60 would fit the bill very nicely.  I've ridden the old beemers all over the country.  Just enough niggling to keep the tinkerer happy, but can go all day at 65-70.  The Earles fork models are like riding on a cloud.
For a little more exotic, an early 70's Guzzi V7 Sport is a really nice bike, but they're getting a little pricey.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:25:17 am by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 03:33:48 am
For what it's worth, I've had my iron barrel for almost a year and a half and coming up to 14,000 miles. Regular, frequent, oil changes, check and adjust points as needed, ditto, the valves (takes 10 minutes) and chains. Lotsa lube in all the right places and tires filled with air. Then just RIDE. These bikes love to be ridden. And the really beautiful thing with Bullets is they have personalities. No kidding, you will really come to believe it's a living, breathing thing. They have moods, sometimes they're a bit cranky, but she'll always come around. Really, the maintenance is not at all onerous and the ride is sooo sweet. What are you waiting for? GET ONE! NOW! ;D   Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 03:55:15 am
Hi P.B. ,
 Welcome to the forum.
 The  answer to your question is,,,,,,,,,,"That depends on you" .

* WARNING* My opinions on the R.E. Bullet are biased. ;)

I have no AVL experience but believe them to be more suited for your purposes than a stock Iron Barrel. I think the U.C.E. bikes would be better yet if you can get past the E.F.I. or are willing to work out a way to carburet it.

No two Iron Barrel or AVL Bullets are exactly the same. Each has much hand building in its manufacture. Each is unique in its quirks  

Some people have problems beyond their skill level or become disillusioned and quickly sell . Some look forward to the experience as a kind of adventure or life experience. Some have few problems. some have no problems. BR Cabo Cruz just busted 10,000 good miles on his bike Perla. Your experience will be relative to your temperament and passion for the bike. http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,5010.0.html

Once "sorted out" both the I.B. and AVL Bullets can be good machines provided that (A) You don't sustain high speeds or (B) you re built the motor for higher speeds.
Do some of the math  here ,  http://www.realclassic.co.uk/ridesfiles/rides07090700.html  ;D

The Suzuki Hayabusa can go from 0 to 60 in 2.47 seconds,
My R.E. Bullet can go from 0 to obsession in 1.2  ;D ;D

No matter where you go, there, you are.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 04:18:14 am
Just about every magazine review I ever read about the RE says that you must like to work on your bike to own one of these things. If you read through this forum, you'll see tons of 'little' problems of various nature. As a former RV owner, the common joke among RV'ers was 'let's go camping, so we can work on the RV' fits.

My new '08 classic, with 1500 miles has had the longest trip of 50 miles before problems pop[ed up. That trip resulted in a trailer ride back home after three roadside hours of basically rebuilding everything air, fuel and spark related. I have personally spent more time adjusting and tweaking than riding and I ride(rode) this bike almost everyday since last December.

When I got home, I swapped the battery into my 82 suzuki, which had been in moth balls since last fall. I put some fresh gas in, choked it and after a couple of cranks, was riding. A few days later, I drove my GS to myrtle beach and back with no hitches. This 28 year old bike runs better and more dependable than my '08 bullet.

Yes, you'll turns heads and hear oohs and aahs, but have your tools and spare parts ready: at home and on the road. Personally, I think of my RE as an antique bike of the era, much like the model A's you see out occasionally: a low key ride around town on warm days. Nothing more, nothing less.

A couple of months ago, due to eratic idle and much tweaking, I added the power arc elctronic ignition in the hopes of improving idle. I had to take the timing chest cover off to remove the distributor shaft and advance mechanism. There was NO snap ring under the cover, allowing the distributor shaft to move in and out, probably causing the idle problem.  May have been a waste of money to upgrade due to factory oversight. Hopefully yours will see higher quality control.

Don't be so harsh on Japanese bikes. They win bikes of the year often and AMA motocross and superbike races repetitively.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 02:39:17 pm by rideOn »
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

Lane

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 05:08:02 am
fwiw, I have an 08 classic with the AVL.  Only have 2500 miles.  So far no problems other than a flat.  I have a commute of 30+ miles one way.  Mostly state highway 65 mph with a drop to 45 for a town in the middle.  I don't seem to have a problem going near an indicated 70, which is probably really 65-67.  Also take a run to visit friends and relatives about 60 miles one way.  Again, no problem, accept my sore behind.  I'm only a fair weather commuter and pleasure rider. 

Planning a trip some day to see my brother around 300 miles one way.  Maybe I'm naive or ignorant or both, but I think the bike will do it.  I've considered putting a 19t front sprocket if I feel my current modification (English exhaust, up-jet carb) will work out.  I'm giving it a little more time to run in and fiddle with jet sizes.  Seems to me with the alloy barrel, improved roller bearings, upgraded oil pump and rocker assembly and other improvements the AVL is not fragile.  I need more time to learn what the bike is telling me, but I'm listening.

The bike only outweighs me by almost 100lb so I have to lean down on the tank (no windshield) to help now and then.  But I've even passed some slower cars on rare occasion.  I've had to learn how and when to anticipate power needs when riding the enfield such as running up the speed BEFORE approaching a hill and laying down on the tank.  On flat ground with set throttle position, I can lay down on the tank and watch the speed go up.

Good luck with your decision!