Author Topic: Latest Sprague Failure  (Read 2914 times)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
on: August 07, 2009, 04:19:29 pm
Well -

One wimpy stroke on the kickstart after priming with several strokes using the decomp.  Turned the key on, started to move the kicker... and found I was a few degrees before TDC instead of after...  kicked back and jammed the sprague.

I was going to remove it before it failed as I've only used the e-start half a dozen times - now I gotta.

Seems the clutch assembly is jammed solid (inner and outer gears rotate together).  Problem is, the outer gear is jammed half a tooth off - and perfectly blocks the inner gear (the starter gear) on the crank sprocket. 

I'm thinking I need to put a good whack on the outer gear to break it loose, or, at least, make it line it up with the inner gear to be able to slide the crank sprocket off. 

Am I correct that the clockwise rotation of the crank when it kicked back is what jammed the sprague?  If correct, I think I need to whack the inner gear in a counter-clockwise direction to break it loose...

Starter gears and motor are staying off.  Gonna plug the starter hole with a JB weld patch.  Going to 18-tooth sprocket since I'll have the inner primary off.

Several days of rain forecast here... should be done by the time it dries out  ;)

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:51:51 pm
I am considering dropping my starter and mechanism too. I would like to leave the inner primary in a way that I can re-add it if I ever sell the bike and JB weld seem a little permanent for that.

I will be very interested to hear how it goes.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:11:49 pm
Ace brought up the idea of making a "dummy plug", or "knock off plate" to seal the starter motor hole.

I was thinking about a piece of aluminum ( if its too thin will flex, too thick will not bolt up)

Anyway I use my E-start 30% of the time, usually with warm engine.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:15:12 pm
Gotcha, Rick...

I was gonna remove it when I got around to it and save it... don't think I'll buy another sprague just to keep  around, but I'll look and see if I can come up with a method to block the starter hole.  Shouldn't have any pressure on it - just need something to stop the oil splashing around (I think??).

Someone posted a pic of a rubber plug "he had laying around" to plug the hole.  I'll see if I can find it and see if he remembers where the plug came from.  

'07 Classic - Stumpy

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:40:29 pm
When my sprag went I took out the starter motor and rode around for over a year with out blocking the hole ,it didn't seem to be a problem.
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:01:30 pm
Duck tape?

'07 Classic - Stumpy

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:02:49 pm
Had to chase the chipmunks out of my shed/garage yesterday... would hate to leave the hole open and have one call it home... ::)

'07 Classic - Stumpy

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 08:05:27 pm
  WOnder if you could just hang the starter back in the hole.  It does have the bolts to mount it back to the engine.  Would also look a little cleaner than the tumor.  Just a thought.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:54:25 am
On my AVL I finally got rid of my starter the other day after having got rid of the sprag a long time ago...

I had just planned to remove it and take a look at what was the best way to fill the hole but I finally cut a circle (with a pair of scissors) out of the lid of a thin metal biscuit tin and stuck it with a metal filler (JB weld type of thing).  All together took me about 5 mins and will do for now.  Have ridden lots since then and it holds up very well.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:48:12 am
 I believe the local application of heat from a propane torch or cigar torch would soften J-B weld type epoxies enough to remove the cover plates if one were inclined to do so.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 02:35:36 pm
Well, I picked up a 1 13/16" rubber stopper from the hardware this morning.  I think it might be perfectly sized to close the offending orifice but be removable should I decide to reinstall the starter stuff (fat chance)...

'07 Classic - Stumpy

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 06:53:39 pm
Now that I am living in a one-kick world, that looks very appealing to me.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 03:42:38 am
my starter just failed so i tried something a little different. first, i gutted the starter. i have plenty of leftover radiator hose from replacing the intake hose. i cut a small piece to fit inside the small hole in the starter that was left. i had some two-part epoxy floating around, so i currently have a clamp on this configuration letting it set up Pluggint the starter hole and not the engine casing). i think putting the empty starter back on but leaving the wire off will make everything look normal without having all the vacant holes. to add a good starter back on the bike will simply require taking the dummy off and bolting up the new one.
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 01:45:07 pm
I found a great bit to plug the starter hole at the Ace Hardware -

1 3/4" Automotive/Marine expansion plug - part number AMP 10258.  Cost about 6 bucks.  Large size version of a drain plug for a rowboat. 

Loctite on the nut, screwed it down.  Ain't gonna leak, and has a metal plate that covers the hole nicely.  I'll upload a pic this evening. 

'07 Classic - Stumpy

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 02:02:43 pm
BTW -

I REALLY like how "pure" the motor sounds without all those extra whirly bits in there...

Really quiet when starting and stopping the motor, too...  :D

'07 Classic - Stumpy