Author Topic: Tonga Trip?  (Read 5000 times)

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
on: August 06, 2009, 07:31:14 pm
Lets start a couple community one way bank accounts managed by an impartial party and save for the RE's and the trip.

I bet we could get at least 5-10 people involved if we gave em all enough time to save and plan.

I am going to Tennessee to the mountains to a really nice 3 story cabin on a cliff face that will only cost me about 300 for a long weekend, because we organized it with 5 other couples the cost is so good.

This is kind of a dream kind of not depending on how dedicated the other people are. I find that if only a few people are serious about something support falls off but If a larger group is committed to an ultimate goal of significance they whole group is more excited and motivated and finds ways to "make it happen" (my slogan)

I think we really could put this together and how cool would it be to meet Bulleteers from around the world, and swap stories and hopefully, if we can get enough interest (and $$$interest$$) , have a bike or two to ride.

Like I said I am a dreamer but If you think that within the next couple years you could save a few grand to go to one of the most amazing places on the earth... Join the discussion!

Frank
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:07:54 pm
Nice idea, but I wonder how many would be up for the high air fare and all.  Bringing bikes in might be possible but very expensive with the shipping and some relaxing of customs and duty requirements would have to be worked out.  And then there is such a small area to ride over.

I'm here to help where I can, but there are so many good spots to get together and ride in around the U.S. that the additional costs of coming way down here might be difficult to rationalize..
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:45 pm
Like I said I am a dreamer so I'll just move down there myself in 10 to 20 or something...(lol)

I guess I was hoping for a nice meeting place for bulleteers international

Anyhow is it really that expensive to fly there and import an Enfield or two... come on it's only money, and you did it... ha ha ha.

Keep us informed as to life down there and we will all live vicariously through you LJ.

Peace

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

geoffbaker

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:30:31 am
Well, you know there are other possibilities... how about a Himalaya or Australia trip? Maybe we could prise LJ out of Tonga for one of those...?

I think LJ is right though; Tonga is too tiny an island to make for a really good bike trip... I mean good times people etc; just not much road to enjoy...

But Australia on the other hand, or the Himalayas... both have plenty of great riding... and I'll bet in both you can find a company that will rent RE's... leastways, there are quite a few that will do it in the Himalayas...

My only issue with Himalayas would be altitude. At 54 I'm a little worried about the issues of altitude sickness especially as a good friend of mine (only slightly less fit than me) died a few years ago of altitude sickness on the road to Maccu Piccu... it's a big issue for anyone over 50 I think...

LJRead

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 02:41:01 am
I hadn't thought about age and altitude problems, but my father tried a move to the Rockies when age about 70, his blood pressure shot way up and a couple years later, that was it.  Who knows but maybe there is a study done on this particular age effect.  I've always lived around sea level and though I love the mountains, I'm not comfortable at higher elevations.

My suggestions for your bike adventure would be New Zealand with a stop over in Tonga, maybe.  There are Enfield rental agencies I believe with quite reasonable prices. and the two main islands there are compact enough to permit great sightseeing with reasonable trips.  I have a guy staying here now from the North Island, an American who has lived in NZ for 30 years and was flexible enough to put up with our bridge problem, so I relented and let him stay here.  He's out diving today, Sunday and Tuesday, kayaking another day and whale watching also. 
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:41:39 am
YEAH!

You guys get the spirit of the Idea!

Get with other folks, Ride Enfields in beautiful far off places, lather rinse repeat!

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:36:26 pm
Ahh, I would love to go back to Tonga. One of the best places I have ever visited.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 02:37:12 pm
I'll just have to stay here in beautiful exotic Hardy Arkansas and wish I was in Tonga  :P
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

geoffbaker

Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 07:19:55 pm
I'll just have to stay here in beautiful exotic Hardy Arkansas and wish I was in Tonga  :P

Never been to Tonga OR Hardy, Arkansas.

Which should I visit first???

(My Dad was born in Jonesboro, which got destroyed back in 75 I think in a tornado...)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:30:53 pm
I went to Jonesboro in 75 and saw the destruction, it was terrible. My vote is for Tonga, but Hardy ain't bad.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

geoffbaker

Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 07:36:33 pm
Yeah we used to go to Jonesboro when we were kids to visit his folks; then they moved out to Colorado to be near us... apparently his old school was one of the few buildings left standing... three quarters of the town totally destroyed...

Yeah, I vote Tonga too.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 07:40:01 pm
My cousins garage was blown away in the tornado, all his tools, everything was gone except his 350 Honda, and it was still standing up on it's stand! Tornado's do some weird things.
Iron Butt Association

LJRead

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 08:02:31 pm
Had an uncle who lived by a lake in Arkansas - loved it there after moving from Cleveland.  But when he got there, he got swindled of all his retirement by a real estate scammer and at age 80 + started in with a new medical practice there in Arkansas without his life missing a beat.  Always admired Dr. Paul Read, rip.

Think under our photos section there should be  section just devoted to the type of places we ride in.  It could be called "the ride" or something similar, and would add dimension to the forum.

Truth to tell, I think there is great riding throughout the world and maybe having dreams of going to these places gives us much to think of. Used to hang out in the desert lands of the South West (Goeff's area and north), and loved the rockiness of it.  Death valley is quite wonderful too with no vegetation, just colorful sand and stone.

Need to keep on the back roads, don't we?
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 08:20:45 pm
Back roads for me, I love a desolate two lane.
Iron Butt Association