Author Topic: Portsmouth Motorcycle Club Falling Leaf Ride.....  (Read 13933 times)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
on: October 22, 2007, 02:48:44 am
The Portsmouth Motorcycle Club established in 1893 is the oldest MC in the nation. Every year they put on their Falling Leaf Ride and Poker Run. This year we were routed out scenic Rt 125 and across many hills and valleys surrounding Rt 125 then out Rt 338 back into Portsmouth Ohio and then to the clubhouse. The ride was fantastic and perfect for my RE 500 and my friend's BSA 441. Got lots of comments on the RE (of course) and talked to lots of other riders. The leaves were in full bloom and the colors along the way were like something out of a movie. It was almost too beautiful to believe. Back at the clubhouse there was food and drink (legal beverages across the street), a slow race, tire toss, and some other games. Sure was funny to watch those big Harley's doing the games. Stayed a little while to hear door prize drawings but left before it was over. The ride home was a little chilly but all in all it was a really wonderful day of riding and socializing......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 03:06:08 am
Hey Dew,

I spent almost 2 decades hunting deer in Shawnee Forest every Halloween.  And the terrain there is Ohio's little "Smokie Mountains".

I've rode down several times from Dayton to Portsmouth on a Sportster many years back - killed my hands and butt even back then!

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:56:53 pm
Interesting web site for the Portsmouth MC http://www.portsmouthmc.net/index.shtml   I see the PMC floodwall mural is leading the voting, well done.
Are you going to post some photos?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:58:49 pm by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:15:54 am
Interesting web site for the Portsmouth MC http://www.portsmouthmc.net/index.shtml   I see the PMC floodwall mural is leading the voting, well done.
Are you going to post some photos?
Sorry, I forgot to take my camera,,,,,Dew

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:17:02 am
Hey Dew,

I spent almost 2 decades hunting deer in Shawnee Forest every Halloween.  And the terrain there is Ohio's little "Smokie Mountains".

I've rode down several times from Dayton to Portsmouth on a Sportster many years back - killed my hands and butt even back then!

Regards, Foggy
Hey Foggy, remember when a sportster was a "big" bike and you could take it anywhere.....Dew.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:51:03 am
Hey Dew,

Regards, Foggy
Hey Foggy, remember when a sportster was a "big" bike and you could take it anywhere.....Dew.

Yep!  The small peanut gas tanks were great on the Sportster - required stopping every 75 miles to get gas.  Needed to unkink the ol' body!

BTW - that gas tank profile was a direct copy of a German DKW design of 1938.  Originally used on the Harley two stroke Hummer - also copied from the losing side of WWII (save for the front forks).  All German patents were made null and void after the War.  And that tank design is still on the Sportsters today.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 04:01:14 pm
Ah, those crafty Germans......Dew.