Author Topic: a-Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha hahahahahahaha Oi vei is mir  (Read 5367 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 04, 2009, 06:09:20 pm
My sprag realized my wildest dreams.  At least it happened in the garage.
That's all I have to say about that.

I don't even know what it looks like.  Wonder if I could have one made from billet. 
My Hagons are floating out with the current...
Run what ya brung

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:42:41 pm
Life is like that! ;D
When your in your highest zenith, there is ALWAYS something ready to clap a vise grip on you testicles! :o
Joe
What was that? What ever is was, it's sounds EXPENSIVE! ;)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:23:41 am
Hate to hear it---as I sit shaking in a corner.........AM I NEXT?????
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:35:00 am
You know what?  That's exactly what I've been thinking.  When I got over 3K, I thought maybe it'll be OK.  Maybe I lucked out- got a good one somehow by accident.
Silly me.

So- I put the kick-lever back on.  It's hitting the rear brake pedal enough that it prevents the lever from coming back up.  I tried kicking it a couple times and not a peep out of it.
I hate to have my dealer put the new sprag in because I l;ike him.  Apparently CMW doesn't pay a dealer for warranty work- they give them a parts credit.  If a dealer doesn't have much demand for parts- he loses time and money.  I'll talk with him further on Wednesday.  See what he says.  One way or another, I'll get it fixed, but if this happens again, someone will be getting a really good deal and I'll have lost a bundle of money.

Indian Chiefs and Honda 400/4's are the only bikes I could ever kick-start for some reason.  Strange and sad.   Well, we'll see what happens...
Run what ya brung

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:14:59 am
Sorry to hear about your srpag clutch problem, it seems to be the main issue with the AVL bikes.

Had you done the TCI upgrade on yours? (i.e swapped the black tci box for the green one)?
Cheers
Nick

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 12:30:35 pm
Bummer! Sounds like you've had your share...and maybe fill too...

I'm where REpozer is: Am I next, or more precisely...when?

Matt

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:50:54 pm
There's no reason why a person couldn't just remove the sprag clutch totally, and the electric starter too, and keep the same inner and outer primary casings.
Just make a simple block-off plate to cover the starter hole.

It's not a horrendously difficult procedure.
And you can even do it before the sprag stuff goes bad, and then if you ever want to sell the bike later, you can put it back in and it will work.

Once the sprag gears are out of there, there are no more worries.

Some people also change the primary cases to back-date the appearance to the older style.
And you can do that too. But the 5-speed KS primary cases are hard to get, and they'll probably be special order.
However, you don't HAVE to do that, and the bike can be KS-only very simply by just removing the sprag clutch gear cluster, and starter motor. Or you could even leave the starter motor in place if you don't mind having a little excess weight hanging on there for no reason.

It doesn't have to be an expensive proposition if you just take out the sprag, and put the bike back together, and use it as KS-onlly.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:57:27 pm
I think it's the RIGHT of every AVL or Electra owner to have to replace the sprag! :D
I'm glads mine kicked 2 weeks after I got the scoot. ;D
A replaced one, 1 full qt. of ATF-F and 2000 miles I'm still spraging, (now that I've said it, tonight it'll cough up the "Reeses Pieces".
If your semi mechanically inclined, me thinks you can replace it yourself, takes like 45 minutes.
I feel you pain! :'(
Like you, I've already decided, if mine goes into little pieces again, the rig is going south! ;)
Joe
"Please baby, please, don't go "CLUNK, bang, tinkle, tinkle on me"! ;)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 02:01:46 pm
Due to an earlier MC injury, Uncle Ernie needs electric start (as I understand it).
Makes you sometimes wonder if a Bonneville isn't worth the extra $$$.

Any chance of Ace Manufacturing producing the simple blocking plate, along with directions as a "KS conversion package"?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 02:27:23 pm
Due to an earlier MC injury, Uncle Ernie needs electric start (as I understand it).
Makes you sometimes wonder if a Bonneville isn't worth the extra $$$.

Any chance of Ace Manufacturing producing the simple blocking plate, along with directions as a "KS conversion package"?

I suppose that I might be inclined to do something like that.
I don't have an E-start primary laying around right now, because I sold the one from my spare parts engine to somebody who needed a working replacement of the sprag. My spare parts engine was a seizure, and the sprag was still perfectly good in it.
But, I can maybe get another primary, or get the dimensions for the plate from somebody, and make up a set of directions.
Actually, the directions should be right in the Service/Repair Manual.

For those with a physical limitation, who cannot use the kick starter, then the only option is to keep the E-start system running.
Just follow the latest updates for primary oil type and primary oil level, keep the bike well-tuned so it doesn't kick back, set the idle high enough so that it won't want to stall at idle ever, make sure you have the green ignition box, and keep your fingers crossed.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 04:21:00 pm
Bernie, I like my W650 better than the Bonneville- but I get your point.
Unfortunatly, I have this attraction to singles.  The SR500 was about the best lump I ever had, but I was afraid to stop for some reason becuse I couldn't start it.  It wasn't hard to start- neighborhood kids would stop by and say, "Hey mister, can my friend start your motorcycle?"  I was the only one who couldn't.
I had 2 GB500's- pretty, but just too small.  Dirt bikes and dual-sports- too tall.

Mr Cafe, I don't need any blocking plates.  Saving a pound or 2 doesn't concern me. 
I'm getting a new sprag sometime soon (I hope).   Lor' knows I've been keeping up with the bike.  With electronic ignition, there's no points to keep track of.  As far as primary oil goes- I've seen every thing except X-tra Virgin Olive Oil recommended.   I've been using 10-30. 
So what kind and how much do YOU recommend?

The ammeter on these models aren't much help in the starting process.   I'm going to fuss around and try to kick it some, anyway.  I forgot- do I keep the decompressor down through the kick, or just while finding TDC?
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 11:04:38 pm

The ammeter on these models aren't much help in the starting process.   I'm going to fuss around and try to kick it some, anyway.  I forgot- do I keep the decompressor down through the kick, or just while finding TDC?

I usually use no decomp and push the piston  slowly until  I feel compression (it stops moving easy) then hit the decomp an move the piston just a tiny bit more. At that point you can let go of the decomp reset the kick lever and do a full kick with very little effort and you should have enough momentum in the motor for it to kick over.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 01:25:54 am
Okay Uncle E, we need an update.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 02:01:55 am
Update;  I have a sprag coming, but I decided to put it in myself.  Tracy said he'd do it, but I feel sorry for him.  PLUS- I'm going to have to learn how to do it.  This could turn out to be a wear item like the oil filter or tires, after all.

A racer-type friend told me to find TDC by putting the bike in 3rd and either backing the bike up, or turning the wheel in reverse until it stops, then kick.  I almost got it started but I wasn't giving it any gas and it was dinner time.  I'll try it more Friday.  If I get comfortable with starting it, I'm going on Hillbilly's ride Sat.

Lots of Indians, Harleys, Brit bikes, and usually a couple of hopped up Cushman Eagles.  Leaves Lake Lure at 10 and it's all day.  (If you're interested)
Run what ya brung

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 12:52:06 pm
well at least you"ll get your parts pronto. my triumph is still waiting for selonoid from baxter cycle i got my enfield parts in less than 24 hrs.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 05:57:44 pm
Update;  I have a sprag coming, but I decided to put it in myself.  Tracy said he'd do it, but I feel sorry for him.  PLUS- I'm going to have to learn how to do it.  This could turn out to be a wear item like the oil filter or tires, after all.

A racer-type friend told me to find TDC by putting the bike in 3rd and either backing the bike up, or turning the wheel in reverse until it stops, then kick.  I almost got it started but I wasn't giving it any gas and it was dinner time.  I'll try it more Friday.  If I get comfortable with starting it, I'm going on Hillbilly's ride Sat.

Lots of Indians, Harleys, Brit bikes, and usually a couple of hopped up Cushman Eagles.  Leaves Lake Lure at 10 and it's all day.  (If you're interested)

Once you fix your spag that roll the bike in reverse thing sounds like a very bad idea....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 06:07:46 pm
Shoot- you're probably right.
I've been out there this morning trying to do what you said.  Got the bike started, but apparently that was an accident.  I can't get it started again.  Heat, humidity, my leg...  my stars and garters...  Well, a little sweat never killed anyone that lived to tell about it.
Run what ya brung

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 06:48:25 pm
My AVL starts easily.  It is stock (yet) so maybe if you have it modified this won't work.  Here is my procedure.
1. Bike on center stand.  Trans. in neutral.
2.  Turn on switch, kill switch and gas.  Choke on.
3.  Mount bike and stand on footpegs, hands on handlebars.
4.  Gently step on kickstarter until you feel compression.  Maintain gentle pressure on kickstarter
     until it eases just over compression.
5.  Let kickstart lever return to top of stroke.
6.  Press on lever until it catches, then just let your weight drop on the lever.  Imagine trying to
     push the lever all the way into the floor as it takes a long stroke to get around to compression
     again.

Mine like just a bit of throttle to catch but it starts first kick.