Author Topic: To the sea  (Read 9341 times)

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
on: August 02, 2009, 09:25:56 pm
Ok, If it must be on a RE, you can stop reading here. I made the trip on a ST1100. Nick rode the K100RT I sold to him last year. Nick was recovering from his last Chemo  and was celebrating a successful treatment and the second chance at life.

I posted the pictures on FaceBook to save space here. Check it out at:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=2018715&id=1042819611&ref=nf

I have wanted to take a trip to the coast for the last several years. Work and responsibility have always come between me and the dream. This year I was fortunate (?) enough to have been laid off and the trip was definitely on the schedule!

The plan was to ride the 500 miles to North Dakota and meet a riding friend; Nick. From there cover as much prairie as possible in one day so we could take our time in Glacier National Park. Then we were to go on to Spokane, Washington to meet my bride at the airport. She isn’t as avid a rider as I am. The next objective was US Highway 20 through the Northern Cascade Mountains and down into the Islands of Puget Sound; ultimately ending on the Olympic Peninsula for a few days, before returning home.

The trip was leisurely enough to take some side trips. Glacier Park’s Going to the Sun Road was first on the agenda. Going to the Sun is a winding road that clings to the side of the mountain, where the glacier has carved out a deep valley. The most spectacular parts were so close between cliff and rock face we couldn’t stop to take pictures. We spent 4 hours covering 12 miles stopping where we could to just drink in the view.

We were early into Idaho. That gave us some time to see Priest Lake, Idaho. It is a beautiful resort area in Northern Idaho. After we picked up Barb at the Spokane International Airport we rode the short distance to Coulee City. It was a hellish ride in one hundred plus degree heat and strong winds. The scene was like a Mars landscape. We had to seek shade where ever we could.  Coulee City wasn’t much better so we moved north to the city of Coulee Dam. It was on the reservoir of Grand Coulee Dam and considerably cooler. That night we spent some time at the Interpretive Center for the dam and stayed for a laser light show.

Back on to our original plan we crossed the Cascade Mountains on Highway 20. It was different but every bit as spectacular as Glacier National Park. It rained at Rainy Pass, to no ones surprise, but the showers drifted in and out of the mountains giving us a grand show of sun and showers in the mountains.

On the way we made two familiar stops; Rosario Beach Park and Deception Pass State Park. Rosario Beach looks out to the Straights of Jan de Fuca and the Pacific Ocean. The bridge at Deception Pass connects Whidbey Island to the mainland. We stopped for the night in Oak Harbor, Washington on Whidbey Island. The old home town has grown and changed, but is still familiar.

In the morning we visited Coupeville, Washington. It has some great shops for souvenirs. Rather than back track and ride through Seattle and Tacoma to the peninsula, we opted for the ferry ride to Port Townsend; a 30 minute break from riding. Again leaving the plan, we altered course towards Bremerton and the Naval Undersea Museum for a quick look at submarine, diving, and torpedo history. That night we dined with friends in Shelton, Washington.

Our friends took us hiking in the Olympic Mountains to Skokomish River. From the trail head to the river it was about a mile hike through rain forest and old growth trees.

Alas Sunday had come, and it was time to take Barb to SeaTac for her flight home. It was also time for us to head back, with one more planned stop to see Nick’s  family in Hamilton, Montana in the Bitter Root Valley. To get there we went south on I-5 and turned East on US highway 12. That took us over White Pass, past the high Desert, across the Snake River, and over Lolo Pass in the Bitter Root Mountains.
After our visit we opted to head for home and covered the 800 miles across Montana and North Dakota where I left Nick and continued home the next day.

Nick said it all when he called to see if I had made it home safely: “Let me rest for a day or two, then lets do it again.” Yeah. I’d agree to that.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:46:50 pm
Sounds like a fantastic ride!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

HRAB

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 10:01:33 pm
Sounds like a fantastic ride!

Except for the endless praires and deserts, much of the trip would have been FANTASTIC on a Classic. But we covered 4700 or so miles in 13 days.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:07:48 pm
Yeah that would have been tough on a classic, my last trip was 3600 miles in seven days, I wouldn't want to try that on my C5 !
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:45:17 pm
Ah, I see that Jim, the iron butt, strikes again -  good going Jim!
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:47:28 pm
  Sounds like it was a great trip, especially when you got home safe.  Also wish I would get laid off for a week or so.  Would love to ride back down to Louisiana through Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas.  But would probably take my Kawasaki Drifter myself.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 03:03:01 am
Outstanding, Br. Jim... your hero, Vale, can't touch you!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

HRAB

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:30:54 am
  Sounds like it was a great trip, especially when you got home safe.  Also wish I would get laid off for a week or so.  Would love to ride back down to Louisiana through Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas.  But would probably take my Kawasaki Drifter myself.  Will.

Oh Yeah! the Ozarks! Yes!

It was a great time just free to chose a road and take it. No reservations, just hope for hots and a flop, enough gas, and stamina.
the GPS managed to get us lost and show us a couple of interesting roads, not on our original route plan, then find a way out again, so that was also a nice suprise.
Jim

BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17:50 am
Any of you guys get to the Arkansas Ozarks, I'll be happy to show you some fine roads  ;D
Iron Butt Association

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 03:41:44 am
  Yes sir did some really nice riding through the Akansas country side when I was stationed at Fort Polk years ago.  Mighty friendly people too.  Was a great escape to go up into your state for a weekend of joy riding.  Almost came home with a mascot on the front fender met outside Arkadelphia on a back road, nice size razorback hog. 

Hopefully someday soon I can make a run south to enjoy the scenery/people down there again.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 04:26:36 am
Had a friend, a construction dynamiter, who managed, by arrangement with his boss, to get himself and a couple friends laid off at the beginning of deer hunting season each year.  Kevin is a good guy, isn't he?
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17:46 pm
That old razorback would have ruined your day, those things are tough. North west Arkansas is some of the best riding I've ever found, it's almost impossible to pick a bad road.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 03:28:08 pm
Great story, Jim!
Those memories will be with you forever.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:49:06 pm
That old razorback would have ruined your day, those things are tough. North west Arkansas is some of the best riding I've ever found, it's almost impossible to pick a bad road.

Believe you're right we had sort of a standoff for a bit before he decided to go on his way.  I was trying to figure out how to turn my Gold Wing around and beat a hasty retreat.  Thankfully he gave first.  Fort Smith is nice area too, but then again I was out adventuring so it was all good.  Found some of the best food I ever ate outside of Hope.  Someday I'll drag my carcass back down there.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 05:03:22 pm
I had the pleasure of riding my Vulcan from S.E. Louisiana to Greenbrier Arkansas, when I moved there some years back.  A good ride, but not nearly as nice as some pf the roads i found once I got settled.  Arkansas surely is a beautiful State, which I will have to visit again if and when I get another bike.  In fact, I wouldn't mind living up there again, but it would be hard to transfer my work up there, to say the least.