Author Topic: Shifting improvement  (Read 1336 times)

single

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 31, 2009, 03:59:45 pm
OK,I may have discovered sex here,maybe everyone else knows about this.Or perhaps mite not approve for some reason I am unaware of.But....shifting gears was getting worse by the ride so took the left hand gizmo apart and found worn out bore in the splined lever to the shifter shaft that goes accross to the trans.Not the splined end.Could of welded and re bored but decided to bore just behind orriginal hole to try to shorten the thro.Shifting is absolutely transformed.Partly because it is not sloppy but it takes far less movement to change gears.It is now as good as most as far as lever travel,and seems actually to work better,period.Time will tell.If I have any trouble will post.

Jeri Danger

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:05:36 pm
Hi
I am a little unclear on this, need to pull out
the parts diagram and have a look.
Jeri

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:04:48 pm
Coming out of the back of the transmission is the crossover or shifter shaft(my terminology)tothe left side of bike.On the left side is the lever I am speaking of.It is splined to the shifter shaft and is pinned to the linkage at it'sother end.It is this bore that was worn out on mine.I put a bore rt. behind the orriginal worn out one.This changes the ratio of the lever and acually makes it move more so that you need to move the foot lever less of a distance to accomplish a shift.Up or down.I need to do some riding before I can recomend this.I am just kinda geeked out over it working for me at this point.It is so much better.But time will tell.I think I mite take it apart again and harden the components.But I wanna ride it arround awhile.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:19:17 pm
     CMW has a shift kit #Z90543. This will fix the wear issue and give a much smoother and more precise shift.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:24:51 pm
Yeah,I want that.But does it shorten the movement necesary to change gears? I just did this as an expedient and it worked well.So far.But I still intend to get the kit.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:44:36 pm
     It shortens movement by taking out most of the slack. My concern with your repair has to do with long term .The kit will also eliminate most of the wear issue. Your repair won't last nearly as long. Obviously it is an effective repair. You notice the improvement. The CMW kit has bushings that will greatly increase the life of the repair.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:34:12 pm
I also wanted to mention that the metal was really worn away in the bore but the nylon bushing looked practically new.So...the nylon bushing wore out the steel lever it rides in.That hardly seems possible.Dirt?everything was pretty grungy.Vince,thanx for the advise,intend to follow it.But cannot afford to at the moment.

doransignal

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 07:09:41 pm
how hard is it to put this kit on? does it come with directions?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 05:51:23 pm
     Installation is straight forward. I come with directions.