Author Topic: purchasing tachometers for singles  (Read 5660 times)

aleman

• Bulleteer
on: July 30, 2009, 01:29:45 am
Hello again, and need some advice.

I am trying to purchase a tachometer for my '05 "iron".  I have looked around a bit but am just not getting how to identify which type of tach is compatible with a single cylinder with points ignition.  By the way the smiths tach available from our host is beutifull but a little large ( I have ace clubman style bars).  What I want is:

-something smaller in diameter

- dial.  Something that will look right.  No led stuff.

Questions:
- is it possible to purchase something that will still work if I switch to e-ignition?

- what are the parameters/specs to look for and/or questions to ask?

As always, any help or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

aleman
FB 002

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:00:41 am
Any tach that wires to your coil (or points) should work with electronic ignition.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:42:43 am
It is harder to find ones that will work on a single-fire one-cyinder engine.
I think that VDO makes one, and Chumma7 has one  and likes it.

The one that I got works with my wasted-spark(dual-fire) electronic ignition, and it was made for single-fire twins. It's some Taiwan-made thing, but it works good. I bought mine on Ebay.

If you look around enough, you'll  find one.

There's a multi-function gauge with speedo and tach and warning lights that's made by Acewell, which will fit into the existing speedometer hole in the casquette. But, it's slightly smaller, so you need to make a simple adapter plate.

And there's a multi-function gauge made in Germany that's very expensive, but really cool for about $500. Somebody on here has one and likes it alot. I think it's called "Motogadget"  "Classic M" model, or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:47:34 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 02:51:37 am
 Ace.Cafe's post on this is more complete than mine was,,, sorry 'bout that. 

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 03:18:16 am
EnfieldJake has this one...

http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.aspx?source=local_search&PID=5600076&cs=Metric

It's not as big as the Smiths. He told me it works great. I plan to get the same one, when I ever get around to it. Here's his picture from the gallery of it mounted on his bike...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=864

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 03:21:37 am
Also, my '08 iron has been converted to Power Arc ignition. I contacted JPCycles about it and they assured me it would work with both the PA system and points.
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 03:24:54 am
EnfieldJake has this one...

http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.aspx?source=local_search&PID=5600076&cs=Metric

It's not as big as the Smiths. He told me it works great. I plan to get the same one, when I ever get around to it. Here's his picture from the gallery of it mounted on his bike...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=864

That's the same type tach that I have, except mine didn't come with the mounting bracket. Appearance of the gauge is the same.

typan

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:52:52 pm
Same as the one i picked up off ebay, for next to nothing, including the mount. Just waiting for a friend of mine to sell me a Boyer ignition to get it to work correctly. They seem a nice little unit.

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:55:24 pm
Thanks for the input everyone.  I appreciate it. 

So, it looks like there is a reason that it's not easy to find a tach option.  Thanks for the link Slider.  The tach from J & P cycles (that also looks like the one that ace has) looks pretty much perfect!   Just what I needed.  And will fit on my bars.

I'm mainly trying to avoid any damage to my rod/crank case for the time being, so need to stay in tune with the revs.

aleman
FB 002

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:20:11 pm
Hey Aleman,
Here is my tach. http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1249
It is made by VDO for single and 2 cylinder engines and is part number 333-968.

To mount it I used an autometer cup (ATM-2204) and a handlebar mount from an old mirror.  I am using a boyer ignition but the tach will work with a points setup as long as you install a  #1N4005 diode on the signal lead which is available at any radio shack.

Overall it's fast and accurate. Waterproof too.
ACE Fireball 001

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 01:34:10 pm
Aleman, If your interested, this is the Motogadget I put on mine. As Ace said it works very well and the looks, well look at the pic.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1422

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 01:43:41 pm
I'd save my money for replacement parts. In my humble opinion the bullet is one of the few bikes that doesn't need a tach, it's talks to you about revs the whole time you are riding it.(mine knows no other subject).
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 09:05:11 pm
it talks to you about revs the whole time you are riding it.(mine knows no other subject).

Yep...

I've thought getting one several times, but mostly to find out how fast I'm going...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 09:37:55 pm
Aleman, If your interested, this is the Motogadget I put on mine. As Ace said it works very well and the looks, well look at the pic.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1422

I really like the way that Motogadget fits and looks in the casquette.
That probably is the best option possible, if funds permit.

geoffbaker

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 10:36:58 pm
I dont have the motogadget tach but they make great stuff, very tough and accurate. Ask PhilJ more if you're interested.

Only problem is they are expensive

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 11:33:06 pm
Only problem is they are expensive

I know you fellows feel sorry for my bank account so I'm open to donations to restore my sanity. ;D

geoffbaker

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 11:39:46 pm
jeez, and I was going to ask you for a contribution so that I could follow in your footsteps... :D

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 01:38:10 am

Thanks guys.

Good to hear from you Chumma and thanks for putting the VDO info in your response.  The gallery photos look good for what I want to do.  Looks like the price is pretty rasonable too.

PhilJ, thanks for the motogadget info.  Yeah that does look great in the casquette like that.  I'll check it out and see what the price is.  I'm wondering though, is the speedo readout any more accurate than what we are used too.  That would be kind of a nice plus. 

The main reason I want to get one is because I have an I-barrel (but modified) and there are some limitations regarding rod strength and big end bearing, ground that has been very well covered by ace.cafe, and I I would just feel better about paying attention to the rpm limits.

aleman

FB 002

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 04:40:02 pm
No problem Aleman.
I'm also curious about the motogadget. It's a seriously beautiful piece but way out of my league price wise. I just read that it has an oil temp and pressure sensor along with other things. Those, along with the craftsmanship it seems to have, do make the price worthwhile. Maybe one day ill save enough beans :)
ACE Fireball 001

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 01:57:55 pm
Aleman,

The speedo is dead on if you do the set-up correctly. I've checked mine against GPS and the roadside radars. I'm about a half mile off. I could tweek the tire diameter setting but it hardly seems worth the effort.   ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 02:14:47 am
What IS redline on a Bullet, anyway?
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 02:28:36 am
What IS redline on a Bullet, anyway?

I don't know if there's any "officially stated" redline that's ever actually been published, that I know of.

However, I think it's generally considered to be about 5200 rpm. on an Iron Barrel 500, and a bit higher on the AVL which is probably around 5400 rpm.

According to the Pomeroy Dictum regarding piston speeds vs engine reliability and longevity, the rpms should be kept under 4300rpm as a general practice, but some occasional revving above that is permitted within reason.
Since 4300 in top gear would be putting us at nearly 70mph in our Bullets, we generally would have no problem observing Pomeroy in most of our typical riding, as long as we don't get crazy with the acceleration revving in the lower gears.
Some people consider the Pomeroy Dictum to be dated, but most road cars today still fall within Pomeroy's limits, and our engines are also dated in design, and it's probably not a bad idea to observe Pomeroy unless you have some particular need to go fast and recognize that it may reduce engine longevity over the long term.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:34:01 am by ace.cafe »