Author Topic: Cable lubing device......  (Read 8160 times)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
on: October 19, 2007, 09:25:18 pm
To make a simple, effective cable lubing device take a couple of inches of fuel line and put a clamp on the end of it. Take the cable loose and clamp the fuel line tightly to the end of the cable.  Pour motor oil into the fuel line, being careful that the cable is pointed straight into the air. Let set overnight. The oil will drain into the cable and it will stay lubed for a long time.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:09:41 pm
Current motorcycle cable technology uses nylon liners inside the cable and require no lubricant. Oiling them will make the liner turn to mush. The only area that requires lube on this type of cable are the attachment points on the ends and the lever pivots. Check your cables for nylon liners before pouring any kind of lubricant into them.

Krodaddy

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:45:19 pm
I still have a well-cared for JC Whitney cable lube syringe that's about 15 years old. It's a standard plastic medical syringe (I think 100cc) with a clear 4 inch hose clamped to it. A rubber stopper goes over the cable end and is inserted into the hose. A hose clamp tightens it all up. Then you just pour in oil and apply gentle pressure until it drips from the other end.

These simple but effective lubricators cannot be found anymore. I keep thinking about finding sources and then posting do-it-yourself instructions.

It's basically the same idea as you describe. It just allows you to pump the lube thru in about 60 seconds. Since the syringe and hose are see-thru you can also measure your progress.

If there's any interest, I'll post some pix, and see what it would take to put together a DIY kit.

Matt

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:19:59 pm
Current motorcycle cable technology uses nylon liners inside the cable and require no lubricant. Oiling them will make the liner turn to mush. The only area that requires lube on this type of cable are the attachment points on the ends and the lever pivots. Check your cables for nylon liners before pouring any kind of lubricant into them.

This reminds me of the time I took my 20 year-old (at the time) cheap Tiawanese 10-speed bicycle to the local bike shop to have some spokes replaced. The bike was an el-cheapo dinosaur compared to the modern generation of hi-tech and expensive hardware. The young kid looks at it with contempt and told me he didn't have any spokes that would fit it. He then looked at the sprockets and derailer and told me I was lubing it all wrong (I use motorcycle chain lube). He said that this 'old grease' lubricant just attracts dirt and will cause the gears to wear out.

Hmmm... the bike was older than him. The chain and sprockets were original equipment. Other than the few bad spokes it was in great mechanical shape (even to the wheel and steering head bearings). The kid didn't know enough to consider that maybe - just maybe I clean the chain and sprockets periodically. Maybe, just maybe, it's still in good mechnical condition - because I know what I'm doing.

This was many many years ago. I'm sure that kid is long out of his 'bicycle expert' stage. I on the other hand still have very old, very cheap bicycles that are still older than him and still running great.

I've had a lot of failures on my oddball and old motorcycles: driveshafts strip, alternator failures, batteries gone dead, etc. But I have never, not once, had a cable failure on one of my motorcycles. 20 years from now, I am certain I will be able to say the same thing.

All it takes is consistently, every 5000 miles, removing the cable completely, inspecting it thoroughly, pressure lubricating it with your lubricant of choice, cleaning both exposed ends, clean mounting points and lubing lever and bracketry pivot points; also making sure that it is reinstalled properly. Then every maintenance in between (1850 miles for our REs) cleaning exposed portions and re-lubing with your lubricant of choice, then carefully inspecting for wear.

Maybe not the easy way. But it is the right way for me.

Matt

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 01:37:48 am
Just went out to the shop and pulled the crimped end cap off a throttle cable that came off my Bullet this summer. Sure enough, no nylon liner so regular oiling would be in order.
 I stand by my statement concerning nylon lined cables being ruined by oiling so make sure to check which type you have before oiling. Probably only an issue if you have a cable from a source other than RE.
 I'm not some young kid from the bicycle shop trying to show off what I know, I am however a 51 year old professional motorcycle technician with many years of experience working on many differant brands.

Barry
Krodaddy

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 12:11:16 pm
Just went out to the shop and pulled the crimped end cap off a throttle cable that came off my Bullet this summer. Sure enough, no nylon liner so regular oiling would be in order.
 I stand by my statement concerning nylon lined cables being ruined by oiling so make sure to check which type you have before oiling. Probably only an issue if you have a cable from a source other than RE.
 I'm not some young kid from the bicycle shop trying to show off what I know, I am however a 51 year old professional motorcycle technician with many years of experience working on many differant brands.

Barry

Barry,

I was not talking about you and did not mean to offend you or anyone else. Sorry if I did.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 12:14:32 pm by Thumper »

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 03:54:57 pm
Damn, I wish I was some kid working at a bike shop.....Dew.

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:48:13 pm
I just wish I was a kid.   ;D

No offense taken Matt, it's all good when you own a Bullet !!!
Krodaddy

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:30:07 pm
Thumper.

A quick penned line sketch scanned and on here would be appreciated I'm sure (unless of course Kevin sells these in which case I don't want to affect his sales figures)!    :o
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:31:38 am
We sell a cable lubing device shown here
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/cable-lube-p-525.html
but I think the point of this thread is to show what a person
can do at home with little or no money invested. Something I am
totally behind. I really appreciate the sensitivity to our sales though.
I don't mind at all, but sometimes I do cringe when a competitors products
get touted here. I have just cringed and left it at that, as competition and
choice are what America is all about. (Among other things). I am doing my
best to not do much moderation here and the courtesy shown by all of you to us and to each other does not go unnoticed, we really appreciate it.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 10:50:31 pm
Thumper.

A quick penned line sketch scanned and on here would be appreciated I'm sure (unless of course Kevin sells these in which case I don't want to affect his sales figures)!    :o
Don't have a scanner.....the device is real simple......a two inch gas line with a clamp on the end......take your cable loose.....clamp the device on the cable housing just below the metal cable.....put oil in the hose.....and wait until it is empty.....Dew.