Author Topic: Howdy, all.  (Read 4408 times)

plain old dave

• Neophyte
on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:00 am
New hereabouts, been riding off and on since we got back from Desert Storm. Somewhat interested in the RE's, tho' I freely admit I would be more so if there was a new Constellation or Interceptor to drool over. Here to learn as much as anything else.

geoffbaker

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:06:07 am
welcome plain old dave... enjoy the forums!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 02:32:54 am
Welcome Dave and thank you for your service in Desert Storm.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 12:36:24 pm
Welcome Dave! Let us know if you decide to take the big step!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:12:35 pm
  From one Gulf vet to another, welcome aboard.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:01:47 pm
  From one Gulf vet to another, welcome aboard.  Will.

I second that...  ;)

I was aboard USS Tripoli when we conducted some mine clearance operations... with the hull !!

Mike (USN Retired) and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:18:27 pm
Hi plain old dave.

The Bullet is a fine motorcycle, and it does enjoy some benefits that the bigger twins don't have.
Number one is the old Brit single thump. That's a classic thing that no twin has.
Also, the Bullet is lighter and more maneuverable than the bigger twins are.
And the maintenance and repair is easier, and cost is lower.
It can be easily modified without going into the engine, to yield a good bit more power than stock, and many of us find that to be enough. If you want more, then you can get this baby up to almost 40 hp if you want to spend the money and effort to do it. At that point, it's pretty close to what  the bigger twins will do, but in a lighter package.

It's a wonderful bike that gives a great riding experience, once youv'e sorted the little issues out and get it the way you want it. We've all done that, and it's really not a difficult thing to do.

It will always be on the lower end of the power scale, as far as motorcycles go, but if you don't need a rocket ship, and primarily use the bike for non-interstate roads within a couple hundred miles typical ride distance, it will do a fine job at that.
Not an interstate cruiser, or a highway bike.
More of a fun bike for state roads and county roads which have 55mph limits, and plenty of curves.

Now, if you decide to get the newest models with the Unit Construction Engine(UCE), then that will give you some ability to use it on the interstate highways up to 70mph, and they have a bit more power and modern design than the old dinosaurs do.
But, the old dinosaurs have some very nice appeal in their own way as a real fun bike which was the last remaining "real" Brit single to be produced,and was only just recently discontinued because of emission control regs.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:32 pm
Welcome aboard, Br. Pod... thank you for all you did for us while in the service... good luck on your future RE purchase... once contracted, Bullet Fever is a terminal disease... you, however, will be very happy to be a carrier and infect others...!!!   ;)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 01:49:32 am
Hi plain old dave,
 Welcome aboard,

R.E. Bullets ROCK !!!! 

Cafe racer, Classic Cruiser, Trials Bike, Dual Sport, Pick your flavor and enjoy the ride.

This forum is fun and educational too.

Keep the shiny side up,
Ice
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Savoy

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 03:52:33 am
"Issues" ? they should be pretty much non-existent with the 2008 alloy engine and especially the C-5 and G-5's. They get better every year.  3100 miles on my '08 Classic and I only lost a headlamp filament from too many rough roads. One thing I suggest, if you haven't already is read up on the history of R.E. and how they came to be manufactured in India, what years various features/components were upgraded, etc.   And pick your dealer carefully. One who is commited rather than taking on the line for the short term and has a few years experiance working on the RE's.
 ----- And be prepared to answer questions at traffic lights, gas stations, and about eveywhere you park. To say nothing of the older riders telling you about their BSA's, JAWA's, etc. I even met a guy who used to run a Laverda back and forth to work. And, I've had guys follow me home to ask WHAT IS THAT??? and "nice restoration how old is it".  You'd be surprised how many Harley drivers never heard of our beloveds.