Author Topic: Vintage or New? Restored?  (Read 3161 times)

scorron

• Scooter
on: July 26, 2009, 04:09:56 pm
I want a Bullet. Badly. I recently saw a '65 Bullet for sale and fell in love, and while I missed the train on that one (sold before I could inquire about it) I am looking for another.

I would like to keep cost as low as possible and so I'm looking at used RE's, but it seems the bike keeps it value well;  a recent, used Bullet seems to sell for only a little bit less than a brand new one.

However, I have also seen a couple restored vintage Bullets for sale. I have talked to a guy who has a '67 500cc Bullet for sale for $3500. He says he had it fully restored while he was stationed in India, then brought it back with him.

I have read the pros and cons of the Iron vs. AVL vs. UC engines. I'm not worried about maintenance, because I can pretty much fix anything that goes wrong on my car, I figure a motorcycle should be easy in comparison.

But is an India-restored vintage RE a safe buy? Is it worth close to the same one would expect to pay for a recent Bullet? Is it as enjoyable to ride?

Thanks for helping me make the decision.
Sean

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:31:24 pm
First thing they didn't make a 500 cc Bullet in India in the 60s.
A lot of 350s were converted to 500s in back alleys and are questionable at best.
The 350 used a bushing on the timing side of the crank and the 500 used a roller bearing.
Even if you got a real 500 motor who knows what years the rest of it is. Comes time when you need parts for it (it is an Enfield) you call CMW without a clue as to what you need and they really can't help you.

IMHO your really better off finding a real US import bike.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:23:22 pm
Just last week I went through this question regarding old Vespa scooters.   The term "Asian Bodge" comes up a lot.    If you REALLY want an old one for some reason, find a way to make sure it is 100% original and get it running yourself.
Otherwise, it seems to me that used bikes made in the last 5 years generally seem to be a 3rd to half the price of new.
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 05:29:28 pm
I bought my 2008 in 2008 for $4,000. (84 miles on it) There are others around like that, i see them on ebay often.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

scorron

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 05:32:29 pm
"Otherwise, it seems to me that used bikes made in the last 5 years generally seem to be a 3rd to half the price of new."

If that were the case (around here) I'd have no problem. Instead, I've been seeing the RE's in my area (Metro DC) sell for $3000 - $4000, and half of those are fishy.  For example, there's one up now with less than 3,000 miles claiming the engine has already been rebuilt. Why? And a two-owner 2004 with 270 miles.  Both are north of $3000, when I could buy a brand new AVL for $5000.

Maybe I should keep looking.

BTW, thanks for the quick replies!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 05:49:58 pm
     Scorron DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen this end well. Several of my customers did not want to pay my outrageous rip-off prices. They had been in India and "knew" what an Enfield is worth. Every one of them had to bring me their restored Indian Enfield to me to perform some major repair. "Restored" is an ambiguous term. Your interpretation will not match the seller"s or the Indian restorer's.
     Every one of the units brought to me was way too expensive to properly fix. Every one, whether repaired or not, was sold at a loss. The subsequent buyer wound up with a bike for which the parts situation was problematical, at BEST. Every one was a hodgepodge of unidentifiable parts from a variety of model years. Parts that didn't fit were "engineered" (read: hashed up) to fit.  
     For the kind of money you seem to be willing to pay you should be able to find a good used US  late model unit. Take your time to shop. Keep in mind that cheap is not necessarily economical. You should be able to get a new AVL for $5,000 or so. With it you will get a warranty and all the latest improvements. I can almost guarantee that in the next two years this will cost you less than most used ones. Remember, many used ones are sold because the owner is trying to unload the problem he caused  or bought into.
    Good used ones do pop up. Sellers often are not realistic about pricing. Take your
 time. Shop carefully. You did good to ask about this one. Even if you are SURE about the next one, ask about it also.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:03:40 pm
Unfortunately, the bike you are looking at is the "fishy" one.

There are no "1965 or 1967 500 Bullets". It's a fake.
Probably either a later model Bullet with faked-papers to skirt importing laws, or an old 350 frame with a newer 500 engine, probably done for the same reason.
This is a very common scam in the Bullet world.
It's how the "gray market" bikes get in here.
Some people make money buying used cheap modern Bullets with fake paperwork from India, and re-selling them here in the US.
Anybody looking to circumvent importation regulations finds a way to get his later model bike papered with an antique title in India, and then ship it over here.

If you're lucky, it would have a brand new factory 500 engine in it.
Most aren't so lucky.
Typically, they are engines/bikes made up from scavenged parts in the wrecking yards in India, and often have very substandard parts and assembly, and are disasters waiting to happen.

If I were in the market for a Bullet, knowing what I know, the LAST thing I'd look at is a "1965 or 1967 Bullet 500". I'd run from that as fast as I could.

The newer models which the owners faithfully report as having rebuilt engines, would be a far better choice. Some Bullets do blow their engines at relatively low mileages, typically due to the owners not following the break-in rules, or running them harder than they can stand, for highway use.
The best choice would be a good later model Bullet which has been properly broken in by a knowledgeable owner, or one that has very low mileage that you can break-in yourself.
Or, you could buy a basket case, and build it up yourself, if you are capable and wanting to do something like that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:08:52 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 06:07:57 pm
Mr Vinces description there was exactly what I heard regarding the Vespas.

BTW, I meant to say a 3rd to half OFF the original price, not OF the original.  Sorry.
Run what ya brung

scorron

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 06:41:25 pm
Thanks folks!  You've made up my mind to skip the "restored" '67.

I actually wouldn't mind buying a basket-case RE. I've been tinkering/rebuilding a 20 year old Volvo for 4 years, I'm expecting the same kind of experience out of a Bullet; that is, needs plenty of maintenance and work, but the work is easy and rewarding.  If I find an old RE that needs work for a good price, that might be the way I go.

I might also think about finding one of the AVL's for new; it's not that expensive for such a unique bike, and it doesn't look like I'd save much buying a used one.

What price range should I be willing to pay for a recent, used AVL Bullet? I'd like to keep it between $2500 and $3500.

Thanks again,
Sean

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 07:35:33 pm
Hi scorron,

The reply's pasted above are all good advice . Also please bear in mind that advertised price and actual selling price are not always the same.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

TheVanillaThrilla

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:13:20 am
Scorron,

Im also in DC and looking for a Bullet.  There was a fellow in Burke selling an '07 Deluxe just afew months ago for what you want to pay.  I looked at that bike myself, I want to say it only had about 100 miles on it and had been tastefully modded.  Although I wasnt really looking for a Deluxe it was such a smoking deal I probably should have bought it.  It was on Craigs and didnt get much exposure.  There was also another fellow on Craigs recently selling a green one- that one was nice too but maybe a bit too highly priced.

Im looking for a 2004+.  Green is the preference, maybe a few mods (solo seat, bags, headlight, bar ends) and for $3K max.  I am not in a hurry.

Try placing an ad on Craigs looking for one- I did and thats how I found the green one.

I know the '67 500 your talking about, its been for sale a while and the topic of numerous threads on numerous websites- most of which is echo'd below.

scorron

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 01:47:31 am
Hi TheVanillaThrilla,
I assume the one in Burke is sold? I'm not far from there. Too bad I wasn't looking a few months ago. 

What changed in 2004? ES?

BTW, there's an '06 in Hagerstown on Craigslist, British Racing Green, for $3200. That's the one I referenced that has been rebuilt with less than 3000 miles. The seller claims to have no idea why the previous owner rebuilt the engine.  Might be what you're looking for.

It's too bad about the '67 - it's a good-looking bike and the seller has been responding to my emails promptly. Seems open with his info, but I guess you never can tell.

Sean

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:24:11 am
I bought a "restored" BMW from a guy like that.  Open and friendly- willing to help any way he could, blah blah blah.  "Runs great- needs nothing"  Right.  Unless you want to do more than ride it on and off a trailer.  It looked really great from a few feet away.  Great paint and pinstripes.  The list of problems internally are too long to list here.
 As you can see, I'm still steamed.
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 03:24:53 am
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 10:41:19 am
That looks like Rideons' bike.  He had some troubles on a recent trip and said he was going to sell...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *