Author Topic: C5 mods  (Read 10084 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
on: July 25, 2009, 02:27:23 pm
I've ordered some Beston grips and a 7" head light kit from our host for my C5, when the upswept exhaust arrives I will have the look I want. I'm still looking for a small parcel rack for the rear.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:24:51 pm
If I had a C5, I'd be making mods for it.
I do want to do things for the C5 eventually, but I need to have one here to be able to do it.

Maybe Kevin will give me a C5, so I can do that. :D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 03:30:06 pm
I know what you mean, I'm thinking of building a rear rack that will bolt up under the seat and cantleaver out over the rear fender. No drilling involved and should be a pretty clean set up, I'm nearly done designing it now.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Coronach

• Bulleteer
  • I don't get stressed, but I am a carrier
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:21:28 pm
Maybe Kevin will give me a C5, so I can do that
That sounds like a fair solution.  ;D

Mike
Columbus, OH
2008 Black Classic ES "Last One"
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:22:16 pm
I did the 7" lamp right off the bat, and it's MUCH better in function and looks.  I got the beston grips right before giving it up for the tranny stuff.  It's all done, but my dealer called me the day before he was leaving for mid-Ohio, and I couldn't get it picked up. hopefully I can get it this week, as he should be back.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:39:57 pm
I hope you can pick it up quickly. I put the Beston grips on today, nice improvement in looks and feel. I hope the headlight kit will be here soon, and where is that bloody up swept exhaust?
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:47:39 pm
So who will be the first to bore and stroke a UCE ? Hot cams and re map the EFI ?

No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:53:09 pm
Not me, I'm quite happy with it the way it is, except I may want to try a one tooth taller front sprocket in the future.
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 04:06:42 am
Not me, I'm quite happy with it the way it is, except I may want to try a one tooth taller front sprocket in the future.

The C5's come with a 18 tooth sprocket.
I don't think your going to fit one much bigger than that in there.
If you look right behind the sprocket there are 2 bolts going into this boss to hold the outer cover on. An 18 tooth comes pretty close to that boss. If they do end up making a 19 tooth sprocket you might get it in there with some grinding but the chain itself might hit the case on the front side. The case is pretty thin there and I don't know how much grinding it would take.
No matter what sprocket you run it would be wise to keep good chains on the UCE's because a broken chain would wipe the case out for sure.

Now, the 18 tooth C5 sprocket on a G5 is a perfect upgrade. That motor would definitely handle a 19,20  or a 21 if they would fit.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 10:20:06 pm
Yep, I've already checked all that out. I agree about the chains, when the stock one goes I'll replace it with the best one I can find.
Iron Butt Association

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 01:01:59 am

Maybe a rear sprocket with a couple of teeth less.  Will the modified sprockets from the older bullets work?

What about an extra tooth on the primary drive sprocket, or a couple teeth fewer on the primary driven sprocket?
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 01:21:38 am
A smaller rear sprocket would be easiest, but really it's just fine like it is. These are great bikes all the way.
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 01:26:12 am
Maybe a rear sprocket with a couple of teeth less.  Will the modified sprockets from the older bullets work?

What about an extra tooth on the primary drive sprocket, or a couple teeth fewer on the primary driven sprocket?

In the rear you can't go any smaller because of the size of the brake drum.

The motor sprocket would be the way to go but pricey because it's part of the starter sprag assembly. The clutch sprocket is also part of the clutch basket. Both of them have the same problem as the countershaft sprocket. Not much room between the case and the existing chain.

You could always lace up a 19" wheel and go up to a 4.00 x 19" tire and call it good to go.  
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 03:59:06 am
You could always lace up a 19" wheel and go up to a 4.00 x 19" tire and call it good to go.  
CJ

That's a fine idea, and would look good to boot.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 08:58:53 am
During my running in miles I wondered if the C5 could take an extra tooth on the gearbox sprocket as well. Now that it’s run in and I can stretch its legs a bit I’m not so sure it needs it.

Last night I tried a bit of motorway work and was able to cruise at 65 into a stiff headwind with enough in reserve to cope with gradients, the motor didn’t feel strained or vibe too much although around 55 is definitely its sweet spot . Very impressive.

If the G5 wheels are the same hub fixing then that may be the easiest way to alter the gearing, there’s plenty of space around both mudguards and the swing arm for larger wheels