Author Topic: This gives me the blues...  (Read 3273 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 25, 2009, 03:32:52 am
At the 1700 mile mark I replaced my exhaust with the more expensive British classic 60's system. Up to this point, the stock system did well, and had a slight gold tint to the header, hardly noticeable.
Since then, I have put on a few hundred miles on the new system. Man, it's loud, even with the baffle in. The pipe has been blueing up, but if I let it cool and scrub with Blue Away, it gets pretty clean.
I did not rejet, as the plug looked great, nice tan, and I kept the stock filter.
I took the plug to a local Triumph mechanic, and he thought the plug was perfect. He did think the Blue Away was taking the chrome off gradually (it is a paste).

Why are the stock pipes more durable?

Do you worry about the blue (it's a pia to have to constantly clean it).

Could it be lean? The plug doesn't think so. I do get a rumble decelerating though.

Anyone use a good product to remove the blue?

I want to ride, not spend all weekend cleaning the bike (but I have to keep it as clean as Perla, I have a standard to maintain you know). ::)
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:38:54 am
Different chroming processes are weaker to heat, maybe that one will blue up even at the same temperature.  The thing about it is that it should be running cooler with more airflow, even if the engine is running a little bit leaner (correct me if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't the stuffiness of the stock exhaust hold more heat in? or is that offset by richer combustion?).  It may just end up blue no matter what you do.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 04:10:52 am
  Thee's a product called blue b gone..never used it but my buddy does.  Swears by it.
Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 04:13:43 am
Mine has blue on it too.
If the blue happens pretty quickly, you might check your ignition  timing to see if it is more retarded than specification calls for.
Retarded timing will blue a pipe pretty quick.
Also, a lean mixture can do it too, but usually a little bit slower than the retarded ignition timing.
If you have  rumble/popping on deceleration, try turning your air bleed screw in 1/8 to 1/4 turn, and see if that helps.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 02:51:01 pm
Bernie, there is only one Perla.   I've heard rumors that he changes headers after every ride and buries them so ono one will know.  He'll never be able to sell that property...

My header turned BLACK in no time.  Plug is a tan or light brown. ( Tracy also put in a different jet before I picked it up, though)  Anyway, my bike runs fine.  Your bike runs fine?  Get used to it.  Bullet owners will understand, and the rest will assume you're a hard ridin' son of a gun.   (Otherwise- pipe tape.  Yick)
Run what ya brung

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:05:40 pm
     As has been stated, you need to check the timing. Get it spot on, not merely close. Then re-jet the carb.
     Plug color is caused by several factors. Gas formulation is one of them. You are probably getting a false reading. About two months ago we started noticing better color on every plug from every bike that came into the shop. The only common factor is gasoline. The days of being able to tune an engine based solely on plug color are long gone.
     Blue away, or any similar product, will take the chrome away. Use sparingly, if at all.
     Another factor in pipe coloration is gauge of the metal. Performance pipes have thinner walled tubing. The thicker walls of the stock pipe transfer heat more slowly and evenly, and thus tend to blue less. 

Gunga Din

• Northern Bullet
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 04:19:24 pm
I had a similar experience with the factory original exhaust on my 1994 Bullet when it was new. I ordered a performance exhaust from Classic Motorworks and before installation I coated the inside of the header pipe with a product from Cycle Shack called "Chrome Guard". It works great, no change in color in over 10 years since installation!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 04:28:59 pm
     There are a couple of products like that. You can also fog the the inside of the head pipe with aluminum or silver paint. This also works well. Unfortunately all these treatments need to be done before using the pipe. Once exhaust runs through it nothing seems to stick.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 05:03:51 pm
I think he has electronic ignition. ( ? )   You can't do anything with timing in that case, can you?
Run what ya brung

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 05:09:39 pm
Kreem makes something for headers
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 06:18:25 pm
also add a finned  cooling exhaust clamp from cmw. its too late for blue kreem . i put on the british exhaust 5 maybe 6 thousand miles ago and the pipes are only a straw color. ( with blue kreem)
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 07:51:47 pm
I have the points/coil ignition. Using premium gas.

300 miles on the new pipe. Too late to do the inside treatment?

I'll try to pull up info on timing. My Snidal CD went poof on my computer.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

GBBullet

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 01:19:41 am
I replaced my stock which was really blue with the CMW classic exhaust, no bluing just a slight tan color, which adds character.  I also put on a new larger throat carb, better airfilter and rejetted.  Runs a lot cooler.
2007 HD Softtail Custom
2008 RE Bullet 500 Deluxe (Iron Barrel)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 03:04:59 am
Blue Ridge, in light of the myriad of maladies that can be had with bullets, i would not even give it a second thought.  My 05 has had a blue pipe for years now,and I dig it. As long as you are happy with the performance, so be it. I think the only bullets with clean pipes are the non running ones. ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 03:59:37 am
"Bernie, there is only one Perla.   I've heard rumors that he changes headers after every ride and buries them so ono one will know.  He'll never be able to sell that property..."  UncleErnie

Well, Br. Ernie, that is very, very good material... you're a talented comedic writer!!!   :D

The true color of Perla's header pipe is: BLUE.  Do I try to polish the BLUE off?  Absolutely not.  Why: BLUE is in, boys... it matches her other BLUE accents... and, a BLUE header pipe gives Perla character and coolness!!!  ( ;) & 8) )
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla