Author Topic: UCE speed  (Read 11831 times)

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
on: July 23, 2009, 12:57:57 pm
To my fellow UCE owners. How fast have you had your bike? How long have you maintained 60 mph or more? I took my G5 up to 75 mph yesterday and it still had more. It felt pretty good at that speed even with some high winds. The longest I've cruised so far is about 20 minutes at about 60-65 mph.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:31:04 pm
During the running in phase I took it up to 60 briefly and it coped with that easily. Vibes became a liitle more evident but I didn't hold it there long.

I would guess that a speedo reading of 85 top wack is on the cards and real cruising a speed of 65 very possible. I hope so because that's one of the factors which swayed me to the UCE rather than a used AVL or IB.

Nobody's bought these bikes for speed but being able to hold your own on our motorways (where the speed limit is 70) on occasions will be useful.

Oh BTW my bike came back today so after a gentle running in period I'll give it a try.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:32:26 pm
I pop along at 55-60 most of the time, I have on occasion ran with 65 mph traffic easily.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 02:55:28 am

Oh BTW my bike came back today so after a gentle running in period I'll give it a try.

That's great news, Rusty!
Have some fun! You've earned it!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:23:53 am
I pop along at 55-60 most of the time, I have on occasion ran with 65 mph traffic easily.
That's what I say about my AVL.  Except at 60 I'm at 4/5ths (maybe, maybe  5/7ths) throttle, whereas you're probably at half or 3/4 at most.  :)

At 65 I'm pretty much 5/6ths throttle, unless I have a tailwind or am behind a semi.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:25:04 pm
Got her up to 80 mph today. Might be able to reach 90, going down a hill. ;D

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:11:42 am
I've posted before that my C5's sweet spot was between 55-60 mph, well now that I have 1750 miles on the clock, the sweet spot has moved up to a solid 60mph. It purrs right along at that speed nicely now
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:05:34 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 05:33:45 am
I've posted before that my C5's sweet spot was between 55-60 mph, well now that I have 1750 miles on the clock, the sweet spot has moved up to a solid 60mph. It purrs right along at that speed nicely now

Sounds like it's just getting better all the time!  If I was getting a new bike right now, I don't think I'd be considering anything but a C5 (except maybe a Military G5).  Yours looks real nice in the pictures as well.  I'm looking forward to seeing one of these in person.  My brother's G5 Deluxe is coming along nicely, and seems to becoming a better bike day by day.

Eamon
Eamon

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:18 am
It would be interesting to pitch a 'run in' UCE bike against a de-restricted AVL - I reckon performance should be pretty similar. Although speed isn't my top priority it might be a fun race  ;D
Cheers
Nick

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:13:04 pm
I'll be glad when my upswept exhaust arrives, it's mush less restrictive and lighter according to my dealer it should give a bit of an increase.
Iron Butt Association

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 12:47:23 pm
Were you able to order the exhaust?  Last time I checked with my dealer, he couldn't access them yet, but that was a couple weeks ago.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:27 pm
I ordered it the day I picked up my bike, when it's available he'll ship it to me. When that will be I don't know.
Iron Butt Association

Lmundy

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 10:03:27 pm
Do any of you have a notion how indicated speed on the speedo relates to real speed?  Is there a significant speedometer error? 

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:12:51 pm
It seems they all are different, some spot on others off by 10 mph. The best is to check with a GPS.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 03:39:19 pm
Do any of you have a notion how indicated speed on the speedo relates to real speed?  Is there a significant speedometer error? 

When I got mine I checked it out on one of those speed camera trailer things.
It was off by about 10% just like all my irons.
A few weeks later it was all I could do to get 30mph out of the bike and after that the speedo just quit.
I found the screw connector on the back of the speedo had come loose so I tightened it and it's been alright since. I haven't checked it out since then so I don't know if the  cable was loose when I checked it the first time.
Never saw that before that a loose cable would read slow. Usually just work or not work.

I was riding my Triumph to work last year and looked down at the speedo and it said I was doing 90. I gave it some gas and the needle went all the way past 120 and stopped at the pin. At the next light it went back down to 0 and when I took off it was over 100 when I shifted into 4th.
On the way home it didn't work at all. My 3rd 120 dollar speedo drive in 6 years.
Yup, love my Enfields!  I can subtract percentages in my head as long as everything else is working.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"