Author Topic: Chain  (Read 3730 times)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
on: July 21, 2009, 05:35:30 am
So, adjusted my chain the other week as it was a bit too loose (would "slap" on acceleration pretty badly), and now two weeks later I hear what's almost a grinding noise from the chain/front sprocket area.  I first noticed it when slowing down from 30 down to a stop, feels almost like there is a really, really bad wheel bearing or something was dragging in the rear brake. 

I put the bike up on the centerstand on a block of wood tonight, and when I spin the rear wheel it's almost like there's a ratchet noise from the front sprocket.  The tire doesn't really spin as freely as I think it should (or it did), but that could be just my mind.  The noise is kind of a mix between a bicycle ratcheting mechanism, and just mechanical noise (like just the noise of the chain bedding into the gears); it's hard to pin down, but it's not crazy loud.  The noise the the same spinning the tire both forwards and backwards, and doesn't make any noise if I spin it REALLY slowly. 

I inspected it with a flashlight and feelers to be sure there wasn't any gravel in the chain, and the chain has about 1-1 1/4 inch freeplay in the center, depending on what part of the chain I push up as I spin it around (I was told to check it in multiple spots).  The rear chain guard isn't loose or contacting it either, as I was hoping.

As I said, feels like a bad wheel bearing, but on inspection noise comes from the rear primary/sprocket area, just started these past two days, keep chain lubed with dupont teflon lube, 600 miles on the bike, what do you think?  Too Tight?  Too Loose?  Sprag bits in primary?  Let me know
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:28:34 am
When riding I would describe it as "growly."  Perfect word for it.  At first I thought I had a bad big end bearing.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:52:46 am
Seems 1-1/14 is way too much slack. I think it supposed to be around 3/8 with your weight on the bike, but check your manual.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:33:34 pm
Yep- WITH YOU ON THE BIKE, or someone who weighs close to you. 
I once ate up an Indian transmission because the chain was too tight. 

I can't check chain tension by myself.  Every time I think I need to tighten it up, I go to a shop and have Dave check it for me as I sit on the bike.
Run what ya brung

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:09:44 pm
I loosened the chain a bit, just for kicks, but it still makes the same noise.  Maybe it never was as smooth as I thought and it's just in my head, because it still makes the noise when looser. 

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:35:00 pm
I hope it is not transmission bearings.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:00:36 pm
  Guess it may be the time to open the primary and have a look.  Also your chain shouldn't have great differences in slack as you check it in several different areas.  Like it shouldn't be 1/2'  one spot and 1" at another spot.  Never used straight teflon lube on a chain, always used chain wax.  Might be you are hearing roller against pin noise.  I know from industrial maintenance dry lube doesn't give any lubricant that sticks for great periods of time.  I'd go find a can of chain wax and give that a try first.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 07:02:25 pm
You loosened the chain from 1 1/4. That's way too loose.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:06:54 pm
I've got almost 4000 mi. on mine and have always used Dupont teflon with no trouble,I don't think thats why you have the noise.Are you sure the chain after adjusting is still in alignment?If it's not you could get a noise from that.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Laurence

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:05:53 am
before looking into all the awful things it might be and taking things apart, check that the chain guard is not rubbing against the chain somewhere.
"I don't want a pickle - I just wanna ride my motor sickle" - A. Guthrie

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 02:57:43 am
Chain guard is fine.  I heard somewhere that too loose is better than too tight, so I left it at 1 inch for now.  Tightening it up just made the noise worse.  I'll check the countersprocket shaft bearings this weekend (if there are countershaft sprocket bearings, that is) for play, though there's no up/down play that I can feel by trying to move the sprocket around, or side to side play.

When you say "roller against pin noise" you mean just normal chain/sprocket noise, right?  Or is something lost in translation from mechainic -> me?  :)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 03:30:25 am
I don't know how many miles you have, but maybe it would be a good idea to check the primary chain?   Is the noise coming from inside the case maybe?
Run what ya brung

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 05:45:14 am
No, did another ride home from a friend's house tonight - definitely chain noise.  Maybe I've just aligned it badly twice in a row?  I do remember the stock snail cam adjusters being way way out of whack, but the bike tracked straight and didn't make any funky noises.  Well, no better time than now to learn how to align a bike.  Honestly it sounds like something hitting the chain up front (nothing by the chain guard area - I've triple checked) but I don't see anything.  I'm hoping it's alignment.

Well, not now.  Tomorrow before work, maybe.  Loosening the big nut, castle nut, brake adjuster rod nut, brake base nut (the one that's in front of the castle one I assume) and the brake "pointer" nuts is a bit much to do quickly tonight.  It's dark and I'm tired.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:57:05 am
The adjusters should be marked from the factory. They may not be even but the relationship between the adjusters should be maintained.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:03:41 pm
  That'swhat I meant.  So you now know what chain noise is.  If there is also a grinding/crunching sound with it it's probably that the chain and front sprocket are not aligned.  The snails are not the best method of alignment, they are reasonably close and will do on the road if you have to change a tire.  The string method is much more accurate.  And good chain lube helps quiet that noise/cut down chain wear.  Unless you have put on O-ring chain when you get this nailed down I'd still suggest some form of wet lube that will stay with the chain/get into the rollers.  Chain wax (the real stuff) has a cosmoline type lubricant (hard wax) that coats the pins and rollers, and is water repellant won't sling off easily.  Used it since the 80's haven't had a noisy chain since.  Good Luck, Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.