Author Topic: Seeking advice on new Electra X  (Read 2020 times)

debaser

• Neophyte
on: July 19, 2009, 06:50:58 am
Hello,

I'm a new rider, and have always loved the look of the Royal Enfield bikes.  Recently I've been seeking to purchase a new bike around 500 cc and f
fell in love with the Electra X.

My problem is that i stand at a measly 5"3' 110 lbs with a 30" inseam (bare foot).  Before making the two hour trek to the only RE dealer around, I was hoping to gain some knowledge from the bike ower(s) as to whether it would be a waste of my time, the bike being too tall or heavy for someone of my stature.

I've only ridden the 250 cc Buell Blast with the 25" height, obviously a bike of a height and structure.

I'm primarily concerned the electra will either be too tall or I will lack the torso/arm length to properly/comfortably control the bike.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially from any other short riders.

Thanks for your time.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:08:20 am
The height is fine.  On my AVL Military (which, I believe, sits a little higher than the electra) I can just sit flat footed with shoes on, and I have a 30/32" inseam.  The bikes are pretty light for what they are, anyway, so that'll be a good thing.

I think an AVL that can get me pepped around town at 250lbs will be a blast for you at 110.  Kickstarting may be a pain, though.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:20:39 am
The key to Kick Starting is technique.
  I have seen with my own eyes a gentleman grab the kick lever of a Kawasaki KZ1000 with his hand and "Arm Start" it.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:02:12 am
I think you'll be fine.
Sit on one with the centerstand down to get a feel.
These are not tall motorcycles.

The spec sheet says 30'' adjustable.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/electra.html#specs
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:05:41 am by REpozer »
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 11:19:37 am
The key to Kick Starting is technique.
  I have seen with my own eyes a gentleman grab the kick lever of a Kawasaki KZ1000 with his hand and "Arm Start" it.

Multi-cylinder bikes are (were) always willing kick starters. With a 4 pot you have 2 power pulses per turn of the crank. If  the first firing stroke is only a splutter, then the one following it will add to it and carry the crank around. With a Bullet there is only one power stroke every two turns. If the first power stroke isn't full on, the engine will most likely just stop dead.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 01:31:37 pm
I'm suspicious of this post, byt the only thing I know for sure is;
The Blast is 500cc.  Only one medel is made.  What's going on here?
The Electra-X comes with an E-start, so why is anyone worried about kicking it?
Run what ya brung

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:21:23 pm
If you can get the flywheel of an RE moving fast enough it will blow right through the compression stroke,  taking very little effort.. Its all in setting up piston position before kicking.

Also, for seat height you can always get a solo and pillion.   They look better (IMO) than the stock seat and offer a lot more height flexibility..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

debaser

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 06:12:51 pm
Sorry, didn't mean to appear misleading; the Buell is a 500 cc.  It was my learner bike.

I rode with the 25.5" seat height, which definitely worked, but was also definitely a little short for me.  I had messaged a dealership in my state with this same question, and the owner welcomed me to try the 30" height fit, but he feared it may still be too tall for me which is why I turned to this board for my query.

I appreciate the replies, and will minimally make the commute to see for myself.

Thanks so much

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 04:26:40 am

The Electra-X comes with an E-start, so why is anyone worried about kicking it?

I'd rather kicK it when pOssibLe tHough I always tense up a tad when I     HIT

the buTToN>>>>>>>>

guEsS  wHy ;) ;D

cRuNcHdInGLe :o

but back to subjest...  

this is a nice looking seat.. they don't say what the inseam is ,,

http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/electra-low-seat

I wouldn't mind one of them------inseam 34
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:34:07 am by Scotty_RE_DJ »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:18:26 pm
I'm a bit taller at 5'8'', but I only have a 30" inseam.  My boots are super low profile and I can just get flat footed with the stock seat on the Electra.  My wife is around 5'6" and she can get most of her feet onto the ground.  I believe the solo seat will get you lower to the ground. 

I think with boots that have a nice thick sole you should be there; and that solo seat would probably get you totally comfortable.

I wouldn't let the kick starting topic throw your decision making here.  You've got the E-start to roll with.  Once you are comfortable I think you can figure out how best to kick start should you choose to do so.  There is copious amounts of threads on that topic.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Retroman

• Scooter
  • Finding my ways
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 08:48:00 am
Hi

I am 5''7 with a short inside to and when I got the bike it had it the long banana seat, that give me hard trouble to reach the ground.   Then I change to a solo seat and I figured out a way to make it perfect to mi size and comfort.     
 Don't you worry about been to short since this bike is well balance by itself due to skinny tires and a low center of gravity.
About the kick started is concern use it  when the bike is hot and you will quick learn the trick.

Last thing  remember this bike is not a sportier bike like the Buell but you will get some other things in return.

Good look!
Diego Colmenares