Author Topic: Types of Bikers  (Read 19503 times)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 06:42:23 pm
  Probably back in the day when you could buy a running H-D (like my first panhead) for under $1k, I remember those days.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 01:32:16 am
Biker, motorcycle enthusiast, I'm just a dude on a bike.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 02:23:36 am
From what has been said, I don't think I qualify as a true enthusiast in that biking is only a portion of my life, which I enjoy but to which I am limited by having too many other interests and things to do.  It has always been that way with other things as well.  I sure enjoy it and there is really no one else here to enjoy it with or for whom to show off, so I just ride when I get a chance and have to leave it at that.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 06:51:56 am
  Enjoying motorcycling makes you a biker/enthusiast, not necessarily how much seat time you get.  And it doesn't mean you have to ride with a group or be seen by anyone.  It's the freedom of the road, and the wind in your face.  I've met guys that ride 450 Honda's from the late 70's who are more a biker/rider/enthusiast than those who spend 25k on whatever and know not what it means to be free on a bike, or why they really got one.  Those are the posers.  Just blend with the road LJ, that's all it is/what it's about.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 07:16:49 am
  Enjoying motorcycling makes you a biker/enthusiast, not necessarily how much seat time you get.  And it doesn't mean you have to ride with a group or be seen by anyone.  It's the freedom of the road, and the wind in your face.  I've met guys that ride 450 Honda's from the late 70's who are more a biker/rider/enthusiast than those who spend 25k on whatever and know not what it means to be free on a bike, or why they really got one.  Those are the posers.  Just blend with the road LJ, that's all it is/what it's about.  Will.

Yes, you have nailed it! Simply said and quite right, Blackwolf.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 08:14:31 pm
I think I am getting together with Uncle Louie and forming "Sons of Malarkey" MC
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #36 on: July 31, 2009, 04:38:17 am

Nail, head, etc.

Very well said, sir.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 05:05:30 pm
I love threads like this. No right or wrong answers. I grew up on minibikes with lawnmower engines, the graduated to small dual-purpose bikes (learn in the dirt, stay alive on the road). I've ridden a variety of bikes over the years and stopped riding aor awile because they go too sophisticated (no personality).

I think the two types I can most easily pick out are those who rode for the journey and those who ride for the destination.

Roads are the same. You can look at some roads and immediately see they were made for the destination. They flatten hills and bridge rivers. They run straight, true and boring. Other roads rise and fall, twist and turn, and generally cooperate with their environment. These roads are made for the journey.

I was attracted to RE because it is a bike made for the journey, the riding experience. They could have easily followed the current trends of bigger, faster quieter, smoother, etc. But they purposely attempted to retain character.

I still get to my destinations, but I am in no hurry. Once I get there, the ride is over. That makes me sad.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 07:50:46 pm
Nice post, luoma.  I get the feeling that a 'biker' could be anyone who enjoys bikes, from maybe one who polishes but rarely rides, just enjoying the beauty of the beast to those like our iron butted Jim who cruises throughout the western states with miles and miles of road time.  The social aspect was mentioned as well and I can't see anything really wrong with that.  If someone wants to pay big bucks for a chrome harley and wears all the correct paraphernalia, if it gives enjoyment, that's fine too.  Not for others to judge.
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: August 01, 2009, 12:48:31 pm
Don't know what I am, but I started riding about 10 yrs ago.  Started like alot of folks, with a cruiser, watching all those lame Discovery Channel shows, dreaming of a BIG CHOPPER....then I got my Ural.  That thing changed everything.  I HAD to learn how to wrench, and now do most of my own work. I commute on a bike every chance I get, have had an old Suzuki and 2 RE's since, and dream of getting an older triumph to tinker on and get running as a project.  It's become a part of me instead of just something I do.  I dress how it makes sense to me, not how someone tells me the lifestyle "should" look. AND...the cruiser tends to sit in the garage.  Probably the only reason it stays is it's the most comfortable ride for my wife.  Whatever this makes me I don't know...enthusiest definately....I'm just HAVIN" FUN!!

geoffbaker

Reply #40 on: August 01, 2009, 04:01:10 pm
csbdr,

That's what its all about, and I feel the same way.

I dress like I ride, what seems comfortable and makes sense. No gay pirate rig for me...

I do wish that I could safely have fun riding in shorts and no helmet....

instead I put on my armor mesh jacket and the Nolan full face and head out into the 100 degree Tucson sun...

oh well each to his own

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: August 01, 2009, 11:47:33 pm
csbdr,

I dress like I ride, what seems comfortable and makes sense. No gay pirate rig for me...

Thanks for the mental image Geoff..now you got me thinking sailor from Village People.  Man....yuck.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.