Author Topic: Fork gaiters - better with or without?  (Read 4884 times)

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
on: November 02, 2007, 06:51:21 pm
I was wondering if there is some reason (other than thinking that they look cool) that I might switch to fork gaiters on my Bullet?  I live in Seattle, so the bike does get some weather exposure, but not much exposure to dirt.  Will my fork seals last longer with gaiters, or would the difference be minimal?

Eamon
Eamon

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:04:18 pm
Hi Eamon! It's a mixed bag. Gaiters mostly keep out water. but can trap condensation and rust the forks anyway. Gaiters are great for protecting against damage from debris (rocks etc.) If you use them, periodically lift the bottom to dry and clean the tubes.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:39:16 am
Thats a good idea, haven't really thought of that, maybe a shot of WD in there also?
Thanks, and by the way, you haven't posted your age in profiles.

Steve

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 08:30:55 pm
LIving here in Seattle I have been keeping an eye on the weather and always cover my bike when there is a chance of overnight rain. A little work to be sure but it may be a good option instead of gaiters. Do you like the way gaiters look? I not sure what to think of them from an aesthetic standpoint.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 08:58:42 pm
Nearly all the old British bikes, when ridden in 60s Europe, had fork gaiters. They maybe didn't do much, but they looked good, to the teenaged me. The amount of bikes I put 'em on.. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 09:54:03 pm
I've always assumed that in trapping moisture gaiters do more harm than good. When front sus pedallers/mtbs first came along gaiters were very popular - riders soon realised the drawbacks!  I cut them off the 2 or 3 sets of bouncers I got with them fitted - and just wiped the tubes dry after a wet ride. I'd do the same with a m'cycle.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 04:28:44 am
LIving here in Seattle I have been keeping an eye on the weather and always cover my bike when there is a chance of overnight rain. A little work to be sure but it may be a good option instead of gaiters. Do you like the way gaiters look? I not sure what to think of them from an aesthetic standpoint.

Hi Jon, nice to see another Seattlite!  I pretty much cover my bike every night regardless of the weather.  I figure, if for nothing else, it decreases (maybe only slightly) the chances of the bike getting messed with.  I think the gaiters have a kind of sporty look to 'em, but my bike ('06 red Deluxe) looks pretty nice with just the stock black covers.  I think maybe some engine bars to protect against knockovers might be better way to spend my money.  It's all very tempting, but I really love the stock bike too!.

Eamon
Eamon

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 04:54:41 pm
Go for the gators. The old /5 and/6 BMW's had them and you rarely, if ever,had to replace the seals......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 01:18:56 am
Eamon, I like to think the trouble of getting the cover off, especially when it is snapped together underneath, is enough to discourage meddlers. It at least gives me a little piece of mind. In Seattle, with parking as tight as it is, I have been seriously considering the bars as well. Maybe front and back. They don't cost that much. I like the minimalist look better though.