Author Topic: Video Games: what you you guys think?  (Read 13071 times)

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
on: July 13, 2009, 08:19:54 pm
As some of you guys may know (i can't remember if i've said anything on the matter here...), i'm aspiring to be a video game designer as a career after i finish my higher education. So basically, i'm very interested in the structure, creation, and preconceived notions of different people on the subject of interactive entertainment. I'm aware that there are a few on this board around my age and likely have a positive outlook on gaming due to growing up around them, but i'm also very interested in what the older guys here think of the medium.

And no, i'll likely never make a game about driving or racing motorcycles. Though the reasons for that are more related to being unable to properly simulate how totally awesome Royal Enfields are.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:27:01 pm
OK, Doomed,

I'll throw my .02 in here... but first, my bona fides...  I began my IT career on Nov 12th 1971 when the Navy sent me to Data Processing Technician A School.  BS in Systems Analysis 1978.  Project administrator and software model manager for the Navy for nearly a dozen years.  Lots of experience in testing (and using) military simulation software.  Spent thousands of hours (outside of normal duty hours and before Wife) writing stuff to play games on military hardware (worked pretty darned well, too) 

Then PONG came along... 

Haven't spent a nickle or a minute on a video game in probably ten years (I'm 55).  Somewhere along the way I decided that getting out and actually doing something had more reward for me than living, however briefly, in a interactive video simulation.

Don't get me wrong, I 've spent my time with all sorts of games over the years and would call it (as Brad Paisley says) Time Well Wasted... too bad you can't find a good pinball parlor anymore...

Maybe I'm just revolting against the scene I see regularly of my nieces and nephews texting each other from the kitchen to the living room when we gather on the weekends... all good kids, but its getting to where they don't do ANYTHING, anymore, except mash on a keyboard or a joystick... I'll play with my Bullet, instead...  ;D

Hope this doesn't sound like a rant... didn't intend it as one.  If that's where your passion lies, go for it !   Besides, the gaming community has provided the starting point for LOTS of cutting edge software being used everywhere in the "real world"...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 12:03:30 am
I have to say I agree with Mike.

I first played computer games on a Kaypro C/PM machine back in the early 80's.. I've played everything since, including Wolfenstein (original Doom) and all the later Dooms, many flavors of many other games, over many many years and thousands of hours. About ten or twelve years ago I wiped the games off my machine and have never played one since.

Maybe when you get older you discover there are other things in life... I wouldn't spend a single hour playing a computer game, for instance, if I had to exchange it for an hour diving or hiking or skiing or riding a bike.

Just my 2 cents. Nothing against computer games; but looking back, they are just a way of wasting time.

Of course, you could say that about writing on forums, too. :D

Jinx

• Here we go again!
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:20:26 am
 Hello, I'm 41yo and put my fair share of quarters in pinball machines and DonkyKong at the arcade. But that was mainly to hang out with friends.
 But that was many,many years ago. Then I grew up,turned 18 and found out the real word is more fun and exciting.
 I think your audiance here has realized that. That's why I ride motorcycles and REs. I like to play a game of horse shoes more than a video/computer game. It's insane all the effort that goes into making these games but we still use Dino fuel?   Come on!   Yep,time wasted.                                                                                                                                     Interaction with real people in the real world keeps me entertained for hours. ;D
 My 2 cents. You only have one quarter to play the game of life, go for the big score!
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

2 ways to get to the top of a tree. Sit on an acorn or start climbing!

2008 RE Classic Deluxe
1990 HD FXST-C
1970 HD XLCH
1942 HD WLA
& probably enough parts lying around to make another bike. LOL!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:09:25 am
None for me, thank you.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:12:29 am
ZIPPO!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:24:40 am
Doomed,

I can understand the responses of many of the members here about kids not getting out enough, playing in the real world, etc., and I agree with them to an extent. However, I have a slightly different take.

I'm a 33-year-old Ph.D. candidate in English and instructional technologist, and I teach college courses in literature and digital humanities. In my role as an instructional technologist, I collaborate with a  variety of faculty to design assignments and projects in their courses that make use of technology for learning. For example, in an upper division course on apocalyptic thought in American culture, I helped the professor design blogging assignments that led cumulatively to larger multimedia projects and eventually research papers. On the idea that you can demonstrate understanding of a concept by translating it into a different medium, I helped students write and produce movies, and one particularly smart project involved a gallery of apocalyptic LOLcat images that were associated with passages from the King James Bible and its translation in LOLcat. I could see student-produced video games as a viable project for a humanities course.

All of this is to say that I take digital media -- including video games -- very seriously. They're such an integral part of our culture and experience, that it's a false divide to consider them as an alternate reality. Facebook, Royal Enfield Fora, and other social networking services are not part of our virtual lives, they're part of our real lives, and there are real-world consequences to what goes on there. Do some people become too invested in the digital aspect of life? Sure. But with a proper balance the digital and analog are mutually very stimulating.

When I was five or six (ca. 1981-2), I finally badgered my dad into buying us an Atari 2600, which was addicting. Then came the Nintendo, and then an Apple ][gs with its own set of video games. For a time I definitely got more interested in video games than in sports (which as a youngster I was never good at) and other outdoor activities. What I see now is that the level of absorption and engagement with some video games is not very different from reading a book or watching a film, though I think those activities are more enriching than the vast majority of video games. What is more, the human response to video games is as worthy of study as the human response to other art forms.

After 9/11 (I live in NYC and saw it all, and had to smell it directly for many months), my roommate picked up Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and I was blown away by the level of historical research, engineering, and artistic talent that went into creating that sort of game. I hadn't played a video game probably since I was 11 years old. I would have to say that the violence and first person perspective of the game helped me to work through some of the anger, as well as new thought processes I was having about things like enemies, the romanticization of warfare for propaganda, the role of the hero in culture and psychology, and so on. That's not to say Wofenstein is literary (it isn't), but video games can have crucial importance to our lives just like certain pop songs, movies, or other works that make felicitous entries into our lives. I hear there are video games out there that are intellectually complex. I just don't have time to play them if I want to finish my dissertation.

I also played Enemy Territory, the free online version of Wolfenstein, for a while, in part because I enjoyed the social aspect. You get to play on teams, strategize with each other, talk smack to the other team. It's good clean violent fun and you get to meet all kinds of interesting people doing it. But I have a very active social and family life outside all that.

Anyway, I apologize for writing so much, but your topic was interesting to me and I just sort of gushed. Thanks for the excuse to procrastinate.

What are you studying? What video games do you like? What kind of games do you want to design? What schools/programs are you interested in?

Jeff

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:37:14 am
I remember a crowd being drawn to a genius game called "Space  Invaders".
It cost a quarter to play. If you could get past the crowd.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 03:43:05 am
My son does this for a living. He is a game computer artist.
I think he spent around 5 years in study with different outfits and he now has that "magic" number of over 3 years working in the trade. This will probably allow him to apply at some overseas companies now, if he wishes.

Being one of the old guys I can say that I have a go at some games now and then. I love the flying ones. People use their computers for all sorts of entertainment, games .forums, study etc.
Gaming, in my opinion, Will certainly be in high demand for many years to come. There is as much money spent on producing today's games as there is in making blockbuster movies. People will always need  some sort of recreation, wether it's gaming, sports, art etc. Even during these recession times folks will spend money on their hobbies as it is usually a cheap type of entertainment.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 04:08:24 pm
I am 49.

I used to spend a lot of time with PC games. Some were epic and made all others in their genre pointless.

Eg: Deus Ex for anything first person, and IL2 for flight sims.

The trouble I had was being stuck in an endless loop of hardware upgrades, but still not being able to get more than 12 frames per second out of the latest box full of overpriced bloatware.

So I gave up on 'em.

(Operating systems went the same way - I now use Linux - the RE Bullet of operating systems.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:13:24 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 04:26:01 pm
I'm 34 with 4 kids all 12 or younger.  Before marriage and real life I could sit and play games for days on end, get a new game and beat it in two days of no sleep and Mountain Dew.  I bought myself and Xbox 360 two years ago and bought "Turning Point", it took me over a year to beat it just because I never get a chance to play!  The kids love the Wii, Xbox, PS2 and of course tv.  We keep it in check because our kids have NO electronics Monday through Thursday.  They get 2 hours of regulated computer time Friday-Sunday (freeware program actually tracks and locks them out after 2 hours).  Amazingly they play together and argue less when they aren't vegging.  Fridays are sometimes rough because they all argue over who wants to watch or play what.  Gaming or technology in general is just like anything else, it has its place as long as it is used prudently and in moderation. 
Fir Na Dli

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 04:38:39 pm
my 21 year old son  spends most of his spare time on his game. what worries me is that he is'nt learning anything. hours a day that could be used tinkering or doing anything usefull are just plain wasted .they actually make me woosie if i watch him for more than a few minutes.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 06:27:19 pm
I'm 54.
I played Pong, Asteroids, Space Invaders when I was out at bars and tilting a few brewskis. A long time ago. Until I found out that Foosball was more fun.
I later had a girl friend that liked Ms PacMan, so I played that sometimes.
That's about it.
I never played a video game on a console or computer. Only at arcades and bars where I fed it quarters.

However, I will say that once you've done 185mph in a Lotus at Watkins Glen, video games sort of pale in comparison.

But I do understand that there is a whole generation of folks who are tied by the umbilical to the video screen. And their behavior patterns are probably pretty well set, and they will continue to be video addicts.
So, I believe that there is a market there, and that there's money in it, if you're good.

The problem with us old farts is that we remember when TV was something that you might be allowed to look at for an hour per night, after you finished your homework.
Our fun had nothing to do with a TV or video screen, so our tastes in activities evolved differently.

But, that doesn't mean that I had no interest in computers.
To the contrary, in the early 1980s I was designing some of the early entries into the computerized home automation and building automation systems, which monitored and controlled living space environments.
So, I did things with computers, but it was on a different level.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:43:46 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 07:04:06 pm
However, I will say that once you've done 185mph in a Lotus at Watkins Glen, video games sort of pale in comparison.

But I do understand that there is a whole generation of folks who are tied by the umbilical to the video screen. And their behavior patterns are probably pretty well set, and they will continue to be video addicts.
So, I believe that there is a market there, and that there's money in it, if you're good.
That brings up a good point.
Have you noticed, many young people seem to have difficulty safely operating a car.
They seem to get into the strangest accidents,mainly as if they think they are able to defy physics(IE like a video game)

One of the most frightening sights (lately) was a young girl( she had to be at lest 12),zooming past me with a cell phone to her ear,allot of flowing hair out the window and a compact spare tire on the front.   Scary
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:04 am
I dunno.  I used to worry about my kids' spending too much time on the game console, but I got them cell phones a few weeks ago and now they spend all their time texting their friends.  These kids will text each other all day long even if they're in the same room!  Am I just too old, or does that seem a little ridiculous?
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.