Author Topic: Post Recall Findings  (Read 20997 times)

ren

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: July 27, 2009, 09:19:04 am
Not so ren, my dealer's entire stock of unsold UCE bikes will be going back to have the recall work done, he can't sell any yet and is not pleased. The engine number range of affected bikes is on here somewhere, if you do decide to go for it best to check the engine number of your potential purchase...

Indeed, that's what I meant Rusty when I referred to those buying new bikes now, ie. those after the relevant VIN which don't require recall and not to purchase from old stock of course. I can't see that any buyer who is aware of all this is going to buy a new model with a recall VIN so I'm not surprised the dealer is worried.

It is unacceptable that bikes were returned to you and James in a damaged condition and in James' case not even running correctly. It really shows a contemptuous attitude by Watsonian towards customers and has put me off buying one for the time being, at least until the post recall VINs are available and a little longer time has elapsed to see if any other major faults develop. I'd be worried that if some further recall is required, they might fix it but in doing so would return my bike all beat up. No thanks.

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 04:59:08 am
Sorry about the difficulties that some of you posted. I'm a US customer who received his G5 Deluxe about 10 days ago,  in time for a trip that I had planned (from the western part of NC where I live to the coast - a Marine Lab at Beaufort for work - then up the coast to New Jersey via the Cape May-Lewes ferry). I'm still on my way back, in Virginia, and will be home tomorrow. In total, the trip was a little over 1,000 miles.

First, I was happy that my dealer (Carl at Union Cycle) made the effort to get my bike back in time for the trip. He told me to keep an eye out for oil, just in case, but there were no leaks. I had to change the oil in NJ;  there was a little more grey gunk in the filter in the bottom, and some very small shreds of fabric or paper near the oil filter - but nothing alarming. I have some of the shifting problems that an earlier person mentioned (but not at 3 to 4; for me  it is 4 to 5), but I think I'm not pulling up hard enough or releasing the clutch at a bad time - I'm "learning" how to avoid the slipping, and it seems to be getting better. No scratches on any part of the engine either. I did lose a couple of bolts (from the seat), but a quick stop at a hardware store somewhere in Maryland did the trick (I added lock washers, so they shouldn't vibrate off as easily now). This last bit of course has nothing to do with the recall (and is probably my fault, from my installation of brackets).

So overall I am happy with the recall experience, and even happier that I was able to do the trip that I had planned. If only work didn't get in the way.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 09:33:11 am
Sorry to hear about the UK guys troubles post recall & the damage to a couple of the bikes.
A slight defence of Watsonion – they are only a very small company, they did not have the capacity to do this recall work & (as I understand it) had to draft in a fair number of temporary bike mechanics to do this recall work – I guess that’s where some of these quality issues could be from!

I do agree that they haven’t handled the PR side of things well (other than bury there heads in the sand) – I have checked their web site regularly & there is not one word about the recall issues - very poor!  I even asked one of their guys at the open day in June & he said he didn’t know.

The guys over in the states are in a much better position – Kevin is on here constantly answering questions & giving out updates & looking after the customers. The UK importers should be directed to this web site & could hopefully pick up a few tips on customer service!
Cheers
Nick

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 09:59:30 am
I agree. I'm sure the chaps at WS are all good blokes, but when people buy a new bike and weeks later find out theres a fault that could cause death, that isn't a typical recall covering a leaky coolant tank or dodgy hoses. Extra PR is needed to put customers' minds at ease that yes this is a serious fault but we're going to put it right. Not silence or having to hunt down someone to ask a question etc.

I'm not too concerned with the marks I have, sure it sucks but I'll live. I AM worried about the need to double clutch more and more and this sound. I was told to come back after more miles were put on the bike if it still persists. I don't want my bike opened up again and to be without it again but it looks like I will be, but not much choice.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 10:34:04 am
James - i agree with what you say. The problem you describe may just be a simple clutch adjust or could be more severe. I wouldnt risk riding it too far without dealer checking set up etc! Cheers
Cheers
Nick

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:03 pm
Yes James I'd also be inclined to get that looked at soon. Engine noises rarely go away and it might do more damage if you keep riding it.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: July 30, 2009, 03:07:48 pm
I am getting my C5 back today.  Steve at M&S Cycles told me he found no problems in the gearbox, and upgraded it as planned. He DID find the main bearing was shot.  He said RE asked him to look at main bearings, and provided a replacement in the kits, but didn't tell him why.  All his G5's and the other C5 were fine, leaving him puzzled until he opened mine and the bearing was falling apart, which apparently was the screaching noise I had intermittantly when I brought it in. I am looking forward to pick9ng it up and giving it a run to see what it's like.  I'll report in on the results....

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #52 on: July 30, 2009, 10:51:57 pm
It'll be fine when you get it back, You'll have a lot of fun with it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #53 on: August 07, 2009, 09:13:16 pm
Actually now managed another 100 or so miles on my G5 after the recall.
Very happy with it. Just getting on with running it in now, with only just over 700 miles on the clock.("Sods Law"- the weather has been against me).
I can't fault the work Watsonians have done, I have even finished up with a chrome starter motor cover fitted, (these were only originally fitted to the C5's).
Sorry for all those that didn't have such a good "recall", but I would persevere, with your dealer etc.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: August 08, 2009, 03:52:30 am
Glad to hear about your positive recall experince, Br. Marrtyn!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #55 on: August 08, 2009, 04:07:54 am
Marrtyn I'm glad to hear you are happy. that's great! 
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

mark

• Scooter
Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 12:40:20 pm
Hi guys,

I got my enfield back yesterday from the recall exercise.
My local dealer returned it having given it a service and changed those useless fly swatter mirrors for some bar end ones.

Wow!...what a difference with the new mirrors.
Not only do they give the bike an improved retro(better) look,they are absolutely fantastic.
The field of veiw is superb,I can see completely behind me with either mirror.
May I suggest those with stock mirrors get rid of them,as they are not fit for purpose.
Infact they are dangerous.

I have put some new pics on members rides.

Well I took the bike out for a four hour ride yesterday and I enjoyed every minute of it.
The bike sounds and runs superb,just as it has always done.
With the new bar ends on,it gets even more attention than it did before,it looks a different bike  ;D

For you guy's who havn't got  a Royal Enfield.....you are missing OUT!
The most fun,head turning bike on the road.

Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

BRGreen

• Scooter
Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 02:48:27 pm
Mark, Do you have an E5? I have been having trouble finding bar end mirrors that fit the E5.
Dave
The 60's: Saw it all, did it all, just can't remember it all.

mark

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: August 12, 2009, 04:32:03 pm
Mine is a G5.
My mirrors are just bolted on the end of the handlebars with the already existing bolt.

I would have thought with all the different types of bar end mirrors/fittings there would be something that would fit.

Maybe some of the other members,with far more knowledge than myself can help you!
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

BRGreen

• Scooter
Reply #59 on: August 12, 2009, 10:36:41 pm
Mark,
I tried that with Napoleon brand mirrors and it didn't work. Would you tell me what brand of mirror and where you bought them?

Thanks for the reply,
Dave
The 60's: Saw it all, did it all, just can't remember it all.