Author Topic: Post Recall Findings  (Read 20973 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 10:53:46 pm
Keep us posted, I'm sure the gear box will smooth out for you.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 11:04:31 pm
It was smooth when I got her back, I'm hoping this is just a blip in the break-in and it will start working correctly with more miles clocked. The power at hand is certainly much better than before my trip, lovely to have more horses at hand on the road!
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 11:45:58 pm
Yeah, This engine starts out good and just gets better, you gain power the more miles you put on. I think your shifting will improve dramatically in a few more miles.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 12:08:36 am
When the clutch is engaged the gears are still engaged  too, they're just removed from the final drive to the rear wheel.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 12:53:15 pm
On most motorcycles, the clutch is operated by the clutch lever, located on the left handlebar. No pressure on the lever means that the clutch plates are engaged (driving), while pulling the lever back towards the rider will disengage the clutch plates, allowing the rider to shift gears.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 01:49:08 pm
What I meant is that when the clutch leaver is pulled in, ie the plates should not be touching, I have felt some friction as if the plates are engaged. That may just be a case of the cable tension needs adjusting now it's worn in, not sure if that would be causing the weirdness with gears not clicking in properly
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 02:14:34 pm
What I meant is that when the clutch leaver is pulled in, ie the plates should not be touching, I have felt some friction as if the plates are engaged. That may just be a case of the cable tension needs adjusting now it's worn in, not sure if that would be causing the weirdness with gears not clicking in properly

James,
I'd expect that any clutch drag might well affect going into first gear.
And it could have some effect when shifting into other gears too.
Typically can be remedied with an adjustment.

I'd have the dealer take care of it at the next service, or before.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 11:47:33 pm
Gears were acting up again today but this evening working fine, so a bit odd, but I guess it's not always like it which may be a good sign.

The little left light next to the headlamp has stopped working, will check to see if it's just a bulb tomorrow if I get the chance.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 05:28:13 pm
the slightly longer ones from an auto parts store work and fit right in.. replaced both of mine (   06 delux  )
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 06:52:51 pm
Well it's back and looking as shiny as ever ;D

Managed 20 odd miles tonight and all seemed well. Gearchanges are smooth and power seems unaffected by the engine strip trauma, looks like they got all the bits back in the right place.

A few scratches I didn't have before (oddly on the front of the crankcase) and a bit more gasket sealant oozing out than I'd like but I can rectify that easily enough.

Suspected a head gasket leak after ten miles but I think it's just assembly oil so I'll keep an eye on it.

The biggest improvement has been the removal of the screen. I took it off after my small accident and haven't put it back yet. For such a small screen it must've reflected back lots of engine noise because things are a lot quieter now.

All in all I'm glad to be putting the miles in again and look forward to finishing the running in, 534 miles so far.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 08:18:17 pm
Glad you got your baby back Rusty

My casing on the right side has a massive scuff I noticed which wasn't there before it went to WS, not sure what I can do about it though as I didn't mention it when the bike was dropped off, I was too eager just to get it back.

Ok now my gears... today it's started making a new noise. When I pull the clutch in I can actually hear the plates spinning around, sorta high pitch like a squeeky wheel but going quicker. Is that normal for RE's or have I got something else wrong ???

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 08:55:25 pm
It seems the mechanics weren't too careful when they disassembled and reassembled our bikes. I also have  some good size scuffs and scratches on the right side engine case, and a big chip in the silver paint on the engine block at the front mount. The left side of the front engine mount looks like it has been dragged across the concrete, but the right side is fine. There are also various scratches on the frame.
I also thought there was an oil leak on the top end. On one of the first rides I noticed some oil running down from the top end, but I have not noticed any since. I too have quite a bit of orange sealant protruding from every seem.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 09:33:19 pm
Glad you got your baby back Rusty

It's not my baby just yet James, it's on probation and e-bay is waiting.

Your clutch sound. Most engines get quieter if the bike is stationary and the clutch is pulled in because a number of gears and the inner clutch drum stop turning. If yours is noisier then it could be something to do with the clutch release mechanism, possibly the thrust bearing. This would be consistent with your gearchanges getting more notchy since the bike was returned.

I would take it back to your dealer and let them have a listen. It's not normal and I doubt it's being caused by the clutch plates.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 09:40:24 pm
I too have quite a bit of orange sealant protruding from every seem.

The goo they used on mine was clear, maybe bathroom sealant? Nice to know that recall recreation periods included crankcase deck quoits.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 12:15:06 pm
I hope you find a good dealer and get on the road fast, I'm sorry for all your trouble.
Iron Butt Association