Author Topic: Post Recall Findings  (Read 20965 times)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
on: July 12, 2009, 08:08:49 am
I thought I'd start a topic for those of us who've had their bikes returned from the recall to post impressions and findings etc in one place instead of tacking them onto one of the various recall threads.

I've only ridden around the local area so far, as predicted months ago, soon as I got the bike back we got incredibly poor weather and torrential rain :P 

Going from the loaner 07 Electra, the handling is just on another level. In fact I have had to take it really easy as to not over-steer as the C5 is just that much more maneuverable and sensitive.

Gear changes were rough on Friday when I rode last, but I have a feeling thats rider error not the bike. The biting point is at the very end of the range and the distance to engage the clutch so much shorter, that I was revving a little too much after riding the Electra. Within 30 minutes the changes were much smoother.

3rd-4th changes seemed fine, only did that twice though, but fingers crossed that the problems I had before have been rectified.

I'm off on a charity ride out right now around devon, so should be packing a fair amount of miles in today, will post any further thoughts when I'm back.

2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:21:47 pm
Thanks for the news, and have a good ride today!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:33:02 pm
Well James,
We're hoping that you have "smooth sailing" with your C5 from now on!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:18:06 pm
Ditto and ditto, Br. James!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:06:56 pm
Congratulations James, Pleased that you are back up running, I Hope you have many many miles of pleasurable enjoyment. You have had a long wait.
I cant wait until I myself am back in the saddle.
Have you been told exactly what WS have done, and has the warranty been extended.
I would also be interested to here (after you are fully run in) what sort of continuous cruising speed you are able to achieve. 
Regarding the weather, Sods Law will dictate that we will have nothing but cr*p weather.
But lets hope we have an Indian RE Summer!!

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:54:46 pm
Hey all

I clocked about 100 odd miles today, the ride out covered much of the moores and unlike many charity rides the pace was really quite fast considering how bendy the moores can get.

To get to the meeting point I went on the dual carriageway (which is sub-highway/motorway but still a top speed of 70mph). There was some serious crosswinds, which made it hard to hear the engine. I got up to about 60 and kept it there for about 20 mins. I thought to myself more than once, what if... (the gears seized). Luckily it went without incident, when I got to the rally point the bike seemed more freed up, guess it blew some cobwebs out.

The ride was alot of fun, had some crappy downfalls of rain in spots but I guess it IS England. The dodgy 3-4th changes are still there, not nearly as bad, but from what I've heard from many Indian RE owners, that change always seems to be the quirky one so maybe RE just likes em that way.

One regret, I should have signed my bike up for the Best in Show.. the amount of crowds it attracted was just silly. Every time I walked past there would be a group of at least 3 or 4 people checking it out!

Martyn, Nah I've not been told exactly what was done, and no mention of any warranty extension or anything, which is a bit off, but maybe it's a case of them just being too busy right now and they'll sort that after, we'll see.

I did notice on my bike, several areas have got silver paint on them, I'm pretty sure the parts werent painted tacky silver prior to the bike going but I can't remember. The bracket on the silencer has a line of the silver across it, the top part of the break pedal (under the rubber with some visible), and at least one other "bit" which I can't recall off the top of my head. Dannie have you got any on your C5?

James
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:23:47 pm
James, yes I have some silver paint over some of the welds on chrome, but it seems it gets less noticible with time. I'm glad you had a good day of it and I'm delighted you have your bike back, I have 1400 miles on the clock now and it's free'er and smoother than ever. Keep it rolling!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:49:46 pm
Ah ok then, long as it wasn't dropped or anything while it was out of my care :P

A couple of pics...

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:24:32 pm
Looks like you had a great time. Impressive line up of bikes, how did it feel to have the best looking one there?
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 05:24:01 am
Good report and photos, Br. James!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:24 pm
I have put 300 miles (625 odm.) on my G5 since I picked it up from the recall work Friday and everything seems to be fine. It seems to be loosening up and getting smoother every time I ride, or maybe it's me that is loosening up. Now that I am past the break-in, it's time to see what she's really got. ;D

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 11:00:38 pm
It'll get better everytime you throw a leg over it.
Iron Butt Association

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:58 pm

Martyn, Nah I've not been told exactly what was done, and no mention of any warranty extension or anything, which is a bit off, but maybe it's a case of them just being too busy right now and they'll sort that after, we'll see.

I did notice on my bike, several areas have got silver paint on them, I'm pretty sure the parts werent painted tacky silver prior to the bike going but I can't remember. The bracket on the silencer has a line of the silver across it, the top part of the break pedal (under the rubber with some visible), and at least one other "bit" which I can't recall off the top of my head. Dannie have you got any on your C5?

James
I wasn't told what was done or about the warranty extension or anything either. Didn't have to sign anything. Just here ya go.

As far as the silver paint, it looks like they weld together pre-chromed pieces and then paint the welds silver, instead of chroming the whole assembly once it is welded together. Fit and finish is the only complaint I have with the bike so far.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 08:08:04 pm
I can well imagine the attention your bike got and thanks for the pic with the evidence. Nice to see a Morini 350 next to it too. I had one of them for seven years. Fantastic engine and handling, abysmal electrics!

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 10:27:43 pm
Well I went on a bit of a camping trip to the New Forest, I left on Wednesday last week and came back Friday. Covered about 400 odd miles, much of it in torrential rain.

Thoughts... Well, I'm still not sure about the gears. Often other gears, not just 3-4 don't seem to catch. I'll change up or down, and the engine will rev with no gears engaged, I'll pull the clutch in again to try to tip it up or down ever so slightly so the gears actually engage. Other times there will be a feeling as if the gears are being mashed together and not "slipped" into place with the clutch even when the clutch is still fully in and in theory they shouldn't be engaged at all.

During a ride today I had a consistent problem when the bike didn't want to go into Neutral or any other gear properly.  During heavy traffic I often find the bike doesn't want to change gear smoothly. Unlike Jap bikes I've owned that can sit in traffic for long periods with just the clutch held in, I always put the RE into Neutral and let the bike idle, yet in situations when the bike is stopping often it just doesn't want to change gear at all while stationary.

Also I have rust showing on several areas on the bike from being out in the English weather for a few days. I'd not expect this to happen on such a new bike, but I guess the steel used is like that of chinese bikes which just isn't up to standard.

Other than that, handling and power are good, the bike is fun to ride while gears are working properly, but not consistently enough to make a non-issue out of it. I'm not sure if the work done to my gearbox has been utterly successful, prior to the recall the only gear related problems I had was the weird 3rd-4th gear changes.

Will report more as I ride.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:31:36 pm by JamesC5 »