Author Topic: Primary Drive Lubrication  (Read 2489 times)

Bulletbaz

• Scooter
on: July 11, 2009, 10:53:59 pm
Regarding primary drive lubrication on electric start models, I gather it is prudent to fill the case with about 1 litre of oil (preferably motor oil such as 15w-40?) for better lubrication of the electric-starter mechanism. Can anyone tell me if the level plug on this model is positioned for 420ml of oil, as required by the non-E.S. engine, or 840ml that I understand is the later factory recommendation? (Thus enabling me to approximately guess how much extra to put in without draining). Thanks!        
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:12:36 pm by Bulletbaz »

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:50:23 am
They're 420 ml, and good luck if you can find anything that has a mark for 420 ml. I stick in 500 ml and forget it till the next change. I'll know if it needs checking 'cause I look at my bike.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:35:06 am
Yeah- strange amount.  I put in something like 440ml of 10-30.  Some people like to fill it up, but my bike hasn't complained.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:13:29 am by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:46:50 am
I don't know exactly how many ml's I put in, but I just fill it with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF 'til it runs out of the level hole. Been doing this for about 10,000 miles - no problems - nice, smooth clutch.

Military Mike

• Military Mike
  • Scooter
  • The Rat Race Is Over and The Rats Have Won
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 04:20:41 am
HELLO: I just bought a 2008 Military IRON LUNG. and the manual said to pull the big center screw out (on the left gear shift, primary side) and look for oil to ooze out. When I did that, oh it oozed out all right, all out of the bottom of the whole case. IS THIS THE ONLY SCREW THAT HOLDS THAT CASE ON?
I was told by someone to just pull out the small bottom screw (the 11mm one) and just fill it until it oozes from there. Is that enough oil in that primary case? He said that if I put too much in the clutch might slip?
SO WHAT I'M ASKING IS HOW DO I CHECK THIS LEVEL AND KNOW HOW MUCH TO PUT IN.
the other side on the right seems easy to just use the dipstick and only fill it until it shows, otherwise I get smoke (according to previous owner).
SO is is 20/40 in the main and primary cases right? Please help me before I mess this thing up HIS NAME IS GEORGE AFTER THE GEORGE TOWNSHEND WHO STARTED THIS WHOLE MAGICAL THING CALLED ENFIELD. thank you all. and GOD BLESS.
"I believe that Humpty Dumpty may have been pushed"...
"Never did a man fly so high as one who did not know where he was going"...
"I do continue to examine the empty spot in my skull where my mind used to reside"

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 05:43:56 am
WHAT?
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 07:01:43 am
HELLO: I just bought a 2008 Military IRON LUNG. and the manual said to pull the big center screw out (on the left gear shift, primary side) and look for oil to ooze out. When I did that, oh it oozed out all right, all out of the bottom of the whole case. IS THIS THE ONLY SCREW THAT HOLDS THAT CASE ON?
I was told by someone to just pull out the small bottom screw (the 11mm one) and just fill it until it oozes from there. Is that enough oil in that primary case? He said that if I put too much in the clutch might slip?
SO WHAT I'M ASKING IS HOW DO I CHECK THIS LEVEL AND KNOW HOW MUCH TO PUT IN.
the other side on the right seems easy to just use the dipstick and only fill it until it shows, otherwise I get smoke (according to previous owner).
SO is is 20/40 in the main and primary cases right? Please help me before I mess this thing up HIS NAME IS GEORGE AFTER THE GEORGE TOWNSHEND WHO STARTED THIS WHOLE MAGICAL THING CALLED ENFIELD. thank you all. and GOD BLESS.

You have pulled the case mount bolt out instead of the fill plug.  The fill plug is the 18mm flat headed bolt, not the round one headed one.  And yes the 11mm plug is the level plug.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 12:40:13 pm
The manual pissed me off with that one. It was all over my driveway. Ahh, good times, good times...

Anyway there are a number of threads on this. I currently use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF. Many others use other products, but most seem to use ATF and it works well. I fill it until it comes out of the hole with the 11mm nut, then close the level hole and pour a couple more oz in for the starter mechanism.

Hope this helps,
-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 07:52:40 pm
Has anyone run straight LUCAS brand transmission fix stuff,

I have used it in my 99 Lincoln continental since I bought it and the trans shifts smooth and solid for being a notoriously weak trans for the 275hp 275 torque (its an unmodified except for the housing, ford Taurus transmission...)

I only ask because I like to try different things and would be willing to try if no one else has and also if there are no contraindications to using such fluid in the primary case...
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 09:26:19 pm
Has anyone run straight LUCAS brand transmission fix stuff,

If it works in a transmission, it'll probably work in a Bullet... don't know if I'd buy it special, though...

I put in about 3/4 quart to a full quart of whatever I have 3/4 quart to a full quart of (new) when I change the engine oil (every 1500mi).  Have used 5W30, 10W30, 30W, 20W50 and ATF.  No clutch or sprague problems.  Doesn't seem to matter a lot, in my experience.  Primary oil was pretty dirty during break-in fluid changes, but stays pretty clean now.  I suspect I could probably switch to replacing it every other engine oil change without a problem, but I sorta like changing all the fluids...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

CGRLCDR

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 01:09:46 pm
On my 2006 RE Classic when I attempted to check the level on the side case by removing the plug, the whole side case came loose.  Did I do something wrong?  How do you check the level if the whole case comes off when you go to check it? :-\

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 01:41:10 pm
There is another thread going on about this. The manual that came with my 06 is wrong. It shows the nut that holds the primary cover on as the level check. Below it is a 11mm bolt. That is the level check. I had a mess on my driveway as a result of the manual.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 02:34:09 pm
For the ES bikes, the general opinion from the experts seems to be to forget the filler hole (which corresponds to 400 and something ml) and put in 750ml, or 800ml, or a quart. 

Extra oil is an attempt to improve lube to the sprague clutch.  I've put in eveything from 450ml to a quart and is hasn't  affected clutch operation on my bike...

Your mileage may vary... ;)

mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy

Military Mike

• Military Mike
  • Scooter
  • The Rat Race Is Over and The Rats Have Won
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 02:01:15 pm
I have noticed that I only have ridden about 50 miles and the oil that was nice, clean and new now looks a bit "grey" and smells gas-like...like there may be gas in it. I checked the spark plug and it looks a little light in colour...not running rich, I don't think. ANY IDEAS out there? is this just typical?
ALSO> MY REAL EMAIL IS Krooked8@hotmail.com and somehow I can't edit the one that is showing, which is my wife's at bunkindiana@ hotmail.com.
"I believe that Humpty Dumpty may have been pushed"...
"Never did a man fly so high as one who did not know where he was going"...
"I do continue to examine the empty spot in my skull where my mind used to reside"

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 02:47:09 pm
When I got my new '07 iron lung, I changed engine and primary fluids at 50, 200, 500, and 1000 miles.  Primary fluid was pretty grey for the first couple of changes.  Probably from initial wear of the clutch.  Primary chain needed adjustment, too...

I change the primary oil every 1500 miles now (along with the engine oil).  I could probably go to 3000 miles on it, as it doesn't get real dirty anymore, and the primary chain doesn't get too slack, either.

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 08:39:43 pm
I currently run a liter of "dino" 20w-50 oil in the primary.
No leaks from the gasket so I assume I still have a full litre in the primary.

Now for the engine side I am currently running 15w-50 syn. I do live in cool climate and usually go no farther  then 50 miles at a time.So I am considering trying 15w-40 "dino"next time,since heat is not a factor for me as no to worry about "coking" up the oil line.

M. Moore, If you are describing engine oil, YES! Do an oil change.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)