Author Topic: royal enfiled=bad bad choice.  (Read 7833 times)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 06:27:44 pm
I am sorry you had a bad experience. I have personally had CMW make right several issues, some miscommunication, some bad parts, and some straight out my fault. It can be hard to get a hold of the parts dept sometimes, but when I don't hear back, I call back (could just be I am impatient). So I can feel a little defensive for a company I really like.

It is too bad you don't have the time to learn to sort out your bike. I have never worked on or ridden a motorcycle before and love both working on it and riding it as a hobby. I do tell my friends that the irons are not an appliance and need some time and tlc.

I will repspond to your price PM soon, but I just had an unexpected expense, so last week, I would have been all over it, this week I need to move slower if I can at all.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 09:02:42 pm
matty,
after all that, it sounds like you're still too angry to want to try to get your bike sorted out. I won't criticize you for that, since I'm not in your shoes. However, with this in mind, I'd like to make a suggestion.

Considering the above, plus the fact that you're gone more often than you're home and you want to spend as little time as possible working on the bike when you could be riding (which is understandable, since you don't have much time for riding), I suggest you sell it and get a different bike. Something like a UJM would be ideal, a standard Japanese bike from the 70s or 80s. There are lots of them out there in great shape for dirt cheap, fun to ride, and very cheap on insurance. Get them tuned up and running good, and they're generally very reliable. It's much easier to find a mechanic who can work on them. Also not a problem to store for a while with a little prep first, and easy to get going again after storage. Then you could come home from touring and get back in the saddle quickly with no worries. Something like that would suit your situation better and be easy on the wallet.

This isn't to discourage you from fixing up your Enfield, these bikes are a lot of fun. It just sounds like you aren't interested in doing so, and I think this option would fit your lifestyle better. Good luck, whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:05:11 pm by Slider »
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 02:56:09 am
Hell, we all knew coming into it that the R.E.s could sometimes be a pain in the ass (most of us, anyway), but we bought 'em anyway. We've all used some choice language, and we've had some bad thoughts as we surveyed more than aggravating, inexplicable, but surmountable random problems, and we keep coming back to our Bullets. Actually,figuring out all the unique eccentricities of the Mighty Bullet plays a major role in keeping me sane!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 06:53:55 am
Its for sale?

Okay , you want to do this ebay style?

First bid....$200 and you ship to my door.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

sopwithdriver

• Skill Junkie
  • Bulleteer
  • always like to keep my audience riveted!
Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 03:19:51 pm
Damit Pozer, I opened at $500.00 earlier in this thread. Got to get over $550.00 there to be a playa ;D
Nah, It's supposed to sound like that.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:38 pm
Do we have a picture of it. I mean I don't mind buying unseen but a picy would be nice.

Just what I need for my America tour.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 05:13:47 pm
Damit Pozer, I opened at $500.00 earlier in this thread. Got to get over $550.00 there to be a playa ;D
Dab-nabit, I'm out
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 05:49:33 pm
"Just what I need for my America tour."  clamp

There you go, Br. Clampo!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 07:47:16 pm
Hmmm....The primary reason I got my Bullet (which incidentally was some one elses' bad choice, Good for me) was the primitive beauty in the thing.  I've chopped mine up and did things to the mill that may or may not have been a sound idea, but I've had a blast doing it.  In the end, doing it myself or with help from my friends and advice from the forum here, I have a bike that is like no other and I'm proud of it.  As was noted in a previous post, a steep learning curve and a good manual go along way!  Best wishes with your RE!
geichal

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 12:59:20 am
Lets have a look then?   Picys.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

El Rojo

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 06:00:20 pm
I'm in Southern California as well.  You have another problem that needs consideration, that bike with only 300 or so miles can't be registered in the golden state......  If youare serious about unloading the bike, PM me.  I can pick it up personally.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 09:26:11 pm
I was wondering about that.  How does one own a Royal Enfield in California?  Is there a cetain year that gets grandfathered in?
Run what ya brung

tjupill

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 03:42:42 pm
A couple of things:

I. The OP has the bike up for sale on Craigslist. Asking $2800:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1263942494.html

II. There are three ways to get a Bullet registered in CA

1. Any CA resident can bring in a used "49-state" vehicle if it has more than 7,000 miles on the odometer.

2. A new resident moving to CA from another state can register a "49-state" vehicle (that's how I came by my 2005 Military; the original owner moved here from CO). I assume that's the situation with the OP.

3. There is a loophole for "special interest vehicles". The catch is that you are limited to 2,000 miles per year. You have to catch the right person at the DMV to get someone who knows about this (I had explored that option a couple of years ago when I first went looking for a Bullet, and before I found the one I bought).

-- Tom Jupille
05 Bullet Military

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 05:38:40 pm
That's kind of a misleading craigslist ad, isn't it.  Doesn't say anything about the problems it's had, and the OP said nothing about moving earlier.  Tsk Tsk Tsk lies beget lies
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 12:42:59 am
I think you can bring anout of state Bullet into CA provided it has more than 7500 miles on it. That is my plan only problem I have is deciding if I want a Bullet or a Ural first
can't afford both.