Author Topic: Difference between models - one man's view  (Read 13305 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 15, 2007, 10:20:32 pm
I found this web-article today.  It could be useful to those considering which bike to go for as it lists what the author considers the main differences between the classic and AVL engined bikes:

http://www.bikernet.com/roadtests/PageViewer.asp?PageID=1502

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:10:55 pm
Cool find, thank you for posting it.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:23:07 am
Seems a useful summary to this novice!
Thanks.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 12:30:39 pm
Another man's opinion:

Cons of AVL engine:
Developed by a company whose expertise lies in diesel engines

Not relevant. The design is sound, the engine robust. With results like this I don't care if they design push-up bras.

Looks poor

Wholly subjective.
Looks great to me.
Looks like a thumper.
Looks way better than my SR-500 engine or my Sprint engine, and no better than my SRX-6 engine.

Mechanical clatter of the engine

What mechnical clatter? (Perhaps author needs to adjust valves)

Traditionally NOT A BULLET

Here we go again....

Lacks the classic thump which should make you stand out from the traffic
Std silencer will get you a better beat but still not the Classic thump

Baloney! A thumper is a thumper is a thumper. Author needs to come and take a listen to Frankenstein.

Don't dis my RE!

Not that I take any of this too seriously... (and I'll challenge anyone that says I do!)   ;)

Matt
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 02:52:59 pm by Thumper »

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:15:47 pm
I agree with you Thumper.The cons were a bit outside reality. Appearence-wise, the only real difference is the iron barrel. There were a lot of bikes from that era that had alloy top ends. The thump comes from mounting a real silencer. And the comment I can never understand: not a real RE. Every time they have made a major (or minor) change to Harleys, there is the comment that the new model is not really a Harley, yet they still make and sell Harleys.

LJRead

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:55:52 pm
Actually, if you look at the pros listed in the article, they make a pretty good case for the AVL. 

Had R E remained in England, the changes made to the bikes would have been far more drastic.  R E India should be complimented for retaining the traditional features while improving the engine - course they were forced by circumstances of emissions to do so, but they did a good job. 

I'll take the less maintenance, better cooling, better fuel and oil efficiency. slightly more power, any day.  They apparently last longer before rebuilds as well.

deejay

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:49:46 pm
I'll take the less maintenance, better cooling, better fuel and oil efficiency. slightly more power, any day.  They apparently last longer before rebuilds as well.

And I'll take the real Bullet, thanks.  ;)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:12:23 pm
I will go with both.. and see which one gets ridden most.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:37:28 am
I will go with both.. and see which one gets ridden most.

I don't blame you, if I could have both I would too. Actually I'm looking for a BSA project bike at the moment.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:10:08 am
Purely subjective, but I love the look of the Sixty-5.  Minimalist decal "bling" treatment.

My dealer had several Electras on the showroom - and this lonely looking brand new Sixty-5 with the dark green/black paint job setting off to the side.

There was no contest (and I like iron jugs).  The Sixty-5 found a home!

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 01:27:23 am
I had the choice of newer AVL with the five speed left shift etc which would have made it easy to transfer from my Honda left foot six speed but I wanted the traditional 'old look' right foot four speed. That's what the Bullet is to me, A right foot change four speed 500cc pushrod single. Anything else is a copy. I state now that this isn't to take anything away from those that like other RE's etc. It's just my opinion of what is right for ME.
I only have the bike for a weekend toy. It isn't used to commute etc so ' Old Classic' was the required look and that's what I got and in the Army style as I  like that the best   ;)
Each to their own eh?
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

deejay

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 03:57:35 am
I had the choice of newer AVL with the five speed left shift etc which would have made it easy to transfer from my Honda left foot six speed but I wanted the traditional 'old look' right foot four speed. That's what the Bullet is to me, A right foot change four speed 500cc pushrod single. Anything else is a copy. I state now that this isn't to take anything away from those that like other RE's etc. It's just my opinion of what is right for ME.
I only have the bike for a weekend toy. It isn't used to commute etc so ' Old Classic' was the required look and that's what I got and in the Army style as I  like that the best   ;)
Each to their own eh?

Nice, yeah it's all about preference... and you can keep that 4 speed gearbox  :D

DaveG

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 05:27:41 pm
The bloke who reckons my '05 Electra X isn't a Royal Enfield might have a problem with RE stationary engines, pedal bikes and lawn mowers that are all RE manufactured?!?!
See:-
http://www.royalenfield.org.uk/index.php
on the buttons on the left hand side.
73 de Dave G7NCB from the Isle of Axholme UK (MacPro and OSX.4.11) and 05 Electra X

deejay

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 05:37:32 pm
The bloke who reckons my '05 Electra X isn't a Royal Enfield might have a problem with RE stationary engines, pedal bikes and lawn mowers that are all RE manufactured?!?!
See:-
http://www.royalenfield.org.uk/index.php
on the buttons on the left hand side.

I think the argument was about it being a "Bullet" not a Royal Enfield

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 05:53:15 pm
I think the argument was about it being a "Bullet" not a Royal Enfield

Yes, but the Bullet motorcycle or the Bullet bicycle?

The bicycle is the original Bullet, of course. All others are poseurs.