Author Topic: smokin new member  (Read 1692 times)

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
on: July 07, 2009, 05:23:18 am
Hi everyone I'm new here but have been reading all the great advice for a while. I have some problems & hope someone out there could give some help.                                                                                                                                      I'm new to this wrenching game,thought the enfield would break me in.Well first off my sprag has fragged,is this a doable repair for the novice?                                                                                                                                  secondly & more worrying to me is a problem with smoking.A couple of minutes after I  ???kick Start her clouds of white smoke billow out the tail pipe this tapers off after a few minutes to a little smoke.I always leave her at TDC.The cylinder was rehoned after a piston collapse a couple of thousand miles ago,and the head reworked after a piston guide dropped any ideas? ???
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:06:13 am
Welcome aboard gunbunny,
Welcome to the fun.
I'm glad your taking time to read and search the the threads.

The fragged sprag may be doable depending on your mechanical inclination.Its amazing how many people today are afraid to even think about trying. Bonus points to you Sir.
  A buddy with some type of wrenching experience or a mechanical wizard friend would be a nice safety net for you if you jump into it feet first. (hint; get the factory and snidal manuals)  ;)

About he smoking thing. Have you double checked the oil level and breather system yet?
How was the motor run after the re hone ? Was the break in procedure followed ?

Keep us posted.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:56:11 pm
Hi Ice,    Did the break in nice and easy & I keep the oil to the half mark on the dipstick. Ichecked the breather system , cleaned out some mayo from catch can and blew out the tubes.Just hoping its something simple I've missed
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

Matthew Harris

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 02:27:25 pm
Welcome! gunbunny, nice to have you on board here.  I know I learn a lot from these folks.  Have to admit being a tad disappointed though, I thought you were going to talk cigars!
2000 Bullet 500 Classic- Green
REA 42

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:30:05 pm
If it's white smoke, rather than light grey, and if it doesn't begin smoking until the engine is warmed up a little, it could be steam, from condensation in the silencer boiling off as it gets hot.  (Especially if you have warm days and cool nights and you leave the bike outdoors overnight).  Try holding a cold mirror or piece of glass in the smoke and see if water condenses back onto the glass.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:53:22 pm
Smoke and mirrors?Love it.If it is smoke,it sounds an awful lot like valve guides.Does it smoke a lot when decellerating from say,60 mph,while still in gear?How is the compression?Rings might still not be seated if not cast iron.

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 04:30:41 am
Hi Spitting Bull & Single, It is definetly smoke not steam ,I keep  my baby in a nice warm garage  ;) .the compression seems fine. she doesn't smoke too bad except for a few minutes after starting and then its like a civil war battle for three or four minutes,real clouds of smoke,then it clears up ,just a faint wisp.I hope its not the head after spending a fortune to get it fixed.How would i check if its the valves anybody know?

petefletcher

• Bulleteer
  • One Life - Live It
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 10:47:04 am
The smoking sounds like classic wet sumping.
Try lapping the oil pumps in. If that doesn't work then the timing side crank oil seal is next.
2008 350 Classic Bullet
1961 Triumph Cub Trials

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:47:13 pm
I only mention valve guide issue as have had a lot of problems with them in other engines and the worst examples were due to recent cylinder head work.You would have to physically measure the guide clearance to be sure.Do every thing else 1st,as I am sure you will get plenty of ideas from these guys.Big smoke on start up is the classic symptom,however.Good luck,hope it is a lesser issue.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 07:38:18 am
Rings gummed up ??

I have had some luck with product called sea foam . Others recommend redex.

No matter where you go, there, you are.