Author Topic: Camping on my Bullet  (Read 6457 times)

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
on: July 05, 2009, 08:06:11 pm
I took my '06 Bullet Deluxe out camping for a few days about a week and a half ago.  I put a bunch of photos from the trip in the "Interesting Rides" gallery, but will post a few here as well.

I started by riding from Seattle to the ferry at Mukilteo, which takes you to the South end of Whidbey Island.  I was hoping to make it to the Deception Pass campground before the start of the rain that was forecast for that day.  The bike was loving it once I got onto the island.  There was very little traffic and the road was in good shape, so we hummed along at 45-60 mph most of the way.  About 5 or ten minutes before the campground it started raining heavy enough that I needed to put on my raingear.  That meant picking out a campsite and setting up the tent in the rain, but it wasn't particularly cold, so it wasn't miserable in the slightest.  Here is my campsite after the rain stopped...

The next day, I rode up through Anacortes and out onto the Skagit flats.  I was going about 55-60 coming out onto the flats and man, oh man the side winds were tossing me around!  I just crouched behind my windshield and plowed through.  I decided to take the road along the bay heading North, which took me through the small towns of Bow and Edison.  It's really a nice area, but I didn't take any pictures (didn't take enough in general).  That took me to one of the nicest rides in Washington - Chuckanut drive.  It snakes for 21 miles along a rocky and wooded coast until it drops you out in the town of Bellingham.  Here's my bike as I stopped to stretch my legs for a minute...

My Mom lives in Bellingham, so I decided to stop in for a visit, but she wasn't home.  My nieces, however, were there and made me a nice hot cup of tea.  That was just the ticket after riding in more drizzle (yes, the rain returned about halfway up Chuckanut Drive).  I left town by heading east, where I eventually found Hwy. 9.  I took that into the town of Sedro Wooley.  From there, I crossed to the South side of the Skagit River to find the South Skagit Hwy.  I think I only encountered one or two other cars for the next 25 beautiful miles.  It was still raining lightly on and off, but not bad.

I crossed back over the river to the North Cascades Hwy. and into the town of Concrete.  I started to scan my map for my next campground.  I already found my first choice closed and was anxious to find a spot to camp before it got too late (or I got too far into the mountains).  The next campground was closed as well, which made me start to think about going back to Concrete and looking for a motel, but then I hit the town of Rockport, which had a county run campground right on the riverbank.  It was mostly an RV campground, but they had a nice tent camping area right by the bank.  It was normally walk-in only, but the manager told me to just ride my bike in (right past the "no motorized vehicles" sign).  I quickly took advantage of a break in the rain to set up camp, make some dinner, and crack open a giant can of beer!

In the morning it was dry (if not necessarily sunny), so I made breakfast and coffee, packed up, and hit the road.  From Rockport, I rode down to Darrington, which is a great little town at the base of the Cascade mountains.  Darrington is the place to intersect the Mountain Loop Hwy, which travels 55 miles or so through the mountains, up an over Barlow Pass, until the town of Granite Falls.  There are about 15 miles or so that are unpaved, but still in generally good condition.  My Avon Roadriders made me take that part very slowly, but it's not like I would have gone very fast anyway.  It's really beautiful and I wish I had taken more pictures, but here's a sample...

Once I got to Granite Falls, I made my way to Hwy. 9 and headed back to Seattle.  It wasn't a giant trip, but I covered just shy of 340 miles and only used 4.6 gallons of gas.  74mpg ain't shabby!  I was going 50-60mph most of the time and the bike is more or less mechanically stock with just a few exceptions.  The main jet is a 115 on the carb.  I have also removed the PAV and breather system, going to a duckbill routed at the chain.  My airbox is still the tea caddy style, but the one without the opening for the breather system.  It uses the same filter as the stock box, but I think is a better design (and easier to put a K&N or similar filter into).  I did have to add some oil, but I have a weeping cylinder head to attend to (composite gasket at the ready) and I blew a little out the breather when a little mayo build up in the hose caused the pressure to build up.

All in all, quite enjoyable!

Eamon
Eamon

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:59:54 pm
Excellent! Sounds like you had fun.
You know, there is nothing better than seeing a fully loaded bike.
Whenever I  go by one on the road I can't help but wonder what sort of adventure they are up to.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:28:40 pm
Very neat looking rig Eamon.  I like the fore and aft packing of what I assume is your tent and maybe a chair, do you have plenty of room to get into the bags with that arrangement?  What kind of stove and cooking utensils do you use?
There might be some Cramsters in my camping future.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 01:14:51 am
Very neat looking rig Eamon.  I like the fore and aft packing of what I assume is your tent and maybe a chair, do you have plenty of room to get into the bags with that arrangement?  What kind of stove and cooking utensils do you use?
There might be some Cramsters in my camping future.

Hi Leonard,
I brought my backpacking gear, for the most part.  The tent is very compact and lightweight (about 3.5 lbs) and actually fit in one of the bags with room for spare cables, rain gear, sweater, etc.  The other side had my backpacking stove - an MSR Whisperlite ( http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Stoves/Fast-And-Light-Stoves/WhisperLite/product ), fuel bottle, food, portable water pump/filter (an MSR Sweetwater), 1.5 liter lightweight cooking pot, coffee filter etc.  The straps on top of the bags had a ThermaRest self inflating sleeping pad on one side, and a plastic ground cloth for the tent with a tire pump rolled up inside it on the other.  Both were light enough in weight that I could easily get into the bags without having to undo the top straps.

I wrapped my sleeping bag in blue vinyl tarp mostly for rain protection, but also in case I needed to rig the tarp to cook underneath (or to sit on a dry place - a portable chair would indeed be nice!).  My tank bag had my 35mm camera, second lens, mini tripod and self timer, snacks, and some maps.  The only tools I brought beyond the stock toolkit were a crescent wrench big enough for the big nut on the rear wheel, a reversible screwdriver, and a leatherman type tool.  I would, however, like to get some better tire levers.  I don't relish the thought of trying to change a flat with the ones supplied in the toolkit!  Still, since I was out of cell phone reception areas for many stretches (no calling AAA!), I did bring a tire pump.  I ought to get something more compact though - bicycle pumps would work, but I bet it would take forever to pump up a replacement tube...

One note about the Cramsters... They are designed for Bullets, but are meant for the dual seat.  I'm not sure if they'd work for a solo seat or not.  Anyway, here's their website:

http://www.cramster.in/prod_stallion.php

Eamon
Eamon

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:57:39 am
Good info, thanks.  I hear you on the tire tools, mine got all bent up the first time I changed the rear tire.  I've never had to change a flat on the road but some friends of mine have recently had success with the Slime Smart Spair Repair Kit, available at Walmart for $19.  Kinda big but worth the trouble if you don't have to remove the wheel and change or patch a tube.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:34:05 am
Sounds like a good ride. ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:37:20 am
I've carried a Slime Mini Compressor for several years now.

I know that the day I don't have it, I'll need it.

Super small and works well. Shame it doesn't include a pressure gauge but hey ho

http://www.gadgetjq.com/slime_pump.htm
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 10:26:28 pm
I'm just hoping that the actual slime will work if I get a puncture.  Hate the thought of changing a tire on the road.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:30:40 am
Br. Eamon, very cool report, bike and photos!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:04:48 am
Sounds like a nice time Eamon.  My own self made the trip from Puyallup to Selah yesterday, and then on up the Ellensburg Canyon to Cle Elum.  Beautiful motorcycle road, but yesterday it was a furnace!! 
My question is, how is Hi. 9 for the Bullet?  I always thought that road was a bit fast, but???

Steve J.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:58:24 am
Sounds like a nice time Eamon.  My own self made the trip from Puyallup to Selah yesterday, and then on up the Ellensburg Canyon to Cle Elum.  Beautiful motorcycle road, but yesterday it was a furnace!! 
My question is, how is Hi. 9 for the Bullet?  I always thought that road was a bit fast, but???

Steve J.
I don't know, it seemed ok to me.  The speed limit is never more than 55 and I always pull over if I'm holding very many vehicles back.  I didn't ride the section from Lake Stevens up to Sedro Wooley and it's also been a while since I have done that section in a car, so I can't really say about it.  The parts of 9 I did ride (Bellingham to Sedro Wooley and Lake Stevens to Woodinville/Bothell) were A-OK, if a little traffic heavy on the Southern stretches.

What route did you take for your trip?  Over Chinook Pass?  Sounds real nice!  When I was in the Concrete/Rockport area I seriously thought about puching through to Winthrop, but the drizzle made me head South instead.

Eamon
Eamon

whitey

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 03:12:41 pm
Sounds like a great trip , I do miss the hills and dales sometimes , I will have to wait until the weather cools to go camping again.

skippy

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 03:47:55 pm
Looks like you had a great time, been far far to long since I've had a ride like that, always get to the stage of thinking about a trip and planning a route but the actual journey never seems to happen.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:08:54 pm by skippy »
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Electra,
1992 Moto Guzzi California 3,
1982 Moto Guzzi Imola,
2004 Jaguar x type,

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 08:18:09 am
Eamon,

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do... ;D

Just turn the key and get on with it. Good on ya'

Nice trip report (I like that northern area, beautiful sights)...

... and your bike... it always looks so sharp!

Thanks for sharing!

-Jesse (heading North and East later this month with several buddies, can't wait...)
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 03:55:50 pm
[Up 410 and over Chinook.  its the little engine that could the last few miles to the Pass, but of course after that its a skateboard run all the way to Naches.  It can get a little fast once you get down on the flats with all the Yakima traffic and such, but I get on the Old Naches highway, (a sedate 35), and then up over the hill to Selah, and the Canyon road.  A great road this time of year, but hot, (as all the bikini rafters in the river will attest to). 
There is another slow road over, up the Greenwater Canyon, and on down the Green river canyon to Lester and Stampede Pass/Easton, but its all fire road and I won't do that without someone else running with me. (Its a looong push out).

Maybe we need an Enfield travel guide;  The Slow Road Always Traveled"

Steve J.

quote author=Eamon link=topic=4736.msg54003#msg54003 date=1246946304]
I don't know, it seemed ok to me.  The speed limit is never more than 55 and I always pull over if I'm holding very many vehicles back.  I didn't ride the section from Lake Stevens up to Sedro Wooley and it's also been a while since I have done that section in a car, so I can't really say about it.  The parts of 9 I did ride (Bellingham to Sedro Wooley and Lake Stevens to Woodinville/Bothell) were A-OK, if a little traffic heavy on the Southern stretches.

What route did you take for your trip?  Over Chinook Pass?  Sounds real nice!  When I was in the Concrete/Rockport area I seriously thought about puching through to Winthrop, but the drizzle made me head South instead.

Eamon
[/quote]

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 11:40:09 pm
Very nice,  Inspirational in fact. ;D    I am currently on vacation myself, but am spending it trying to get the house painted between rain showers...   :'(
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Laurence

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 04:45:45 am
Great pics Eamon. And I do so like those Cramsters - just the thing I need for camping on my Bullet. Looked at their site, but no prices! Did you order them from India or a stateside source?
"I don't want a pickle - I just wanna ride my motor sickle" - A. Guthrie

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 04:23:50 pm
Great pics Eamon. And I do so like those Cramsters - just the thing I need for camping on my Bullet. Looked at their site, but no prices! Did you order them from India or a stateside source?

I emailed them once and they got right back to me with a price plus shipping.

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 05:34:33 am
Hey, I have the same windshield.  Got mine by searching for a "Yamaha XS650 windshield" from fleabay.  A little scratched, but for a total of $8.60 after shipping I can't complain.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 01:24:44 am
Sounds like a great and even uneventful( the way I like it) trip.
Thanks for the pictures.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 12:25:49 am
Eamon, I'm jealous. sounds like a great trip. That's the first I've seen those Cramster bags, are they water resistant or do you need to pack your stuff in a garbage bag first.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 12:25:37 am
Eamon, I'm jealous. sounds like a great trip. That's the first I've seen those Cramster bags, are they water resistant or do you need to pack your stuff in a garbage bag first.

They are water resistant, but I'm sure they'd leak if in a downpour long enough.  I did put my spare clothes in a plastic bag, just in case, but they held up to hours of drizzle no problem.

Eamon
Eamon

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 01:28:40 am
i just recieved my magnetic tank bag today ups . i was thinking of getting a new one and your comments  were convincing . it came with my new tires in less than 24 hrs. wow! thats service.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer